We found a deal '99 TJ Sahara Landrunner? Discuss

MandaG1183

New to the forum, life-long Jeep-nerd.

So, there seems to be a lot of love/hate around the Landrunner kit. We bought a '99 TJ Sahara off a girl for $800, knowing it needed a new transmission. It was supposed to be a sacrifice vehicle for our '83 Scrambler rebuild. However, with 80k miles, engine sounding and running great, no real rust...we've decided to keep her and sacrifice something else.
This is our second TJ (we rebuilt my '99 in 2013, now an offroad weekender), and when we were looking at it, we knew it looked weird. A little research, and we found out we now are the proud parents of a Landrunner. I chalk up my not knowing this to being in high school (and oblivious to the world) when this abuse of Wrangler occurred.
Now I'm not saying I love it outright... but I love that it brings some variety to our Jeep collection. Basically the same-ish as our blue TJ, but a very different look. So I'm keeping it...BUT... I want to do some re-imagining on her to pull her back to Jeep and away from Humvee. Progress / Tools Avail. / Plans: Trans is now rebuilt and running like a top, body is in great condition. We have a welder, a pretty stocked shop, and are looking into a plasma cutter. I'm going to be painting with Monstaliner, exterior Doomsday, interior Lady in Red. She'll get Nitto Grapplers on her MT Classic I's (I'm in the market for a spare MT C1 for the fifth, if anyone has a lead), and, eventually, lift and upgraded suspension (OME). We'll weld up reinforced bumpers and a winch setup.
My questions posed to the forum are... what (in your opinion), makes a Jeep a Jeep; and, without taking the easy way out and saying "change it back to a TJ," what are your recommendations / thoughts / opinions on making this thing stand out as a unique take on a TJ?
I'll end up making her my own in the end, but I'm curious to hear insights from a panel of fellow Jeep lovers.
20191028_214546.jpg

20190918_190454.jpg
20190920_183206.jpg

I’ve seen a number of TJs with this Hummer body kit on them. Someone (not sure who) produced it back in the day. Hell, I’ve even seen one around my parts with this kit on it. It looks stupid as hell!

IMO if you keep it looking like that you need to go big with lift and tires to bring the hood and fenders into proper visual size. Or trim the flares way down and remove the brush guard to start with and see how that looks.

Its definitely been hit with the ugly stick a few times...but I agree with @Paparock1 go big or go home.
Change the attitude by changing the altitude...Lift it with aggressive tyres and a good offset to make sure they sit flush with the fenders.
Id lose the nudge bars for something smaller too

Reactions: MandaG1183
I...I...I just don't get it. Would I own it? Hell no! But it's your money, so if you like it then keep it as is. Why not do a Brute conversion or something similar? Good luck in your rebuild.

The good: the fenders are wide enough to place a beer, possibly even the whole 6 pack

The bad: all the rest of it

Looks like a TJ that’s been on a only Twinkie and Little Debbie snack diet for 20 years. I personally can’t visualize anyway to make that appeal to me. HoW about putting the scrambler body on the TJ chassis (needs a little stretch but could be done with some awesome fab work.

New to the forum, life-long Jeep-nerd.

So, there seems to be a lot of love/hate around the Landrunner kit. We bought a '99 TJ Sahara off a girl for $800, knowing it needed a new transmission. It was supposed to be a sacrifice vehicle for our '83 Scrambler rebuild. However, with 80k miles, engine sounding and running great, no real rust...we've decided to keep her and sacrifice something else.
This is our second TJ (we rebuilt my '99 in 2013, now an offroad weekender), and when we were looking at it, we knew it looked weird. A little research, and we found out we now are the proud parents of a Landrunner. I chalk up my not knowing this to being in high school (and oblivious to the world) when this abuse of Wrangler occurred.
Now I'm not saying I love it outright... but I love that it brings some variety to our Jeep collection. Basically the same-ish as our blue TJ, but a very different look. So I'm keeping it...BUT... I want to do some re-imagining on her to pull her back to Jeep and away from Humvee. Progress / Tools Avail. / Plans: Trans is now rebuilt and running like a top, body is in great condition. We have a welder, a pretty stocked shop, and are looking into a plasma cutter. I'm going to be painting with Monstaliner, exterior Doomsday, interior Lady in Red. She'll get Nitto Grapplers on her MT Classic I's (I'm in the market for a spare MT C1 for the fifth, if anyone has a lead), and, eventually, lift and upgraded suspension (OME). We'll weld up reinforced bumpers and a winch setup.
My questions posed to the forum are... what (in your opinion), makes a Jeep a Jeep; and, without taking the easy way out and saying "change it back to a TJ," what are your recommendations / thoughts / opinions on making this thing stand out as a unique take on a TJ?
I'll end up making her my own in the end, but I'm curious to hear insights from a panel of fellow Jeep lovers.
View attachment 122202
View attachment 122203View attachment 122204.
Looks like a steal for 800. Part it out. If the top fits a TJ you've already made a profit.

Reactions: qslim
It looks like if a VW thing and a Jeep had a baby.

That being said I think it's cool as hell! Maybe not stock like that, but top off with a lift and a nice tire/rim combo, no push bar on front, and I think it would look pretty slick.

Looks like a steal for 800. Part it out. If the top fits a TJ you've already made a profit.

You know that's a hell of a point. I saw the pictures and immediately disregarded the rest of the post. $800 is an absolute steal.

Are the axles-wheels extended to match the extra ‘body’ width? Looks weird to me but certainly was a good deal. Like the wide body idea. Should ride nicer.