Weak starting issue

Codom82

My 99 jeep 2.5l is weak starting. The battery is 3 months old. Starter has been tested several times and the alternator is charging. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I've cleaned the grounds and checked all the connections.

My 99 jeep 2.5l is weak starting. The battery is 3 months old. Starter has been tested several times and the alternator is charging. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I've cleaned the grounds and checked all the connections.

Just for clarification, weak as in it sounds like it’s having a hard time turning the motor over? Also this might be one of those circumstances that a short video may help.

In the meantime, check the ASD relay/fuse (I think it’s called), really may be on it’s way out.

Take a good look at the positive cable to the starter checking for anything that looks odd, given the right conditions the cable can corrode internally.

Put a volt meter on the battery when your cranking it over and see how voltage drop you get. A normal battery should be at 12.6 V more less. Not saying your starter is bad but most of the knuckleheads at the likes of Kragens or Autozone couldn't tell the difference between a turd and hunk of mud. Why yes...it spins..must be OK then.

Put a volt meter on the battery when your cranking it over and see how voltage drop you get. A normal battery should be at 12.6 V more less. Not saying your starter is bad but most of the knuckleheads at the likes of Kragens or Autozone couldn't tell the difference between a turd and hunk of mud. Why yes...it spins..must be OK then.
My battery was at 12.83 when trying to start. It drops to 11.4.

Just for clarification, weak as in it sounds like it’s having a hard time turning the motor over? Also this might be one of those circumstances that a short video may help.

In the meantime, check the ASD relay/fuse (I think it’s called), really may be on it’s way out.
Weak as in the starter doesn't have enough power to turn the motor over. No clicking what so ever.

Check the voltage at the starter when trying to start, positive on the cable lug and neg on the starter body or mounting bolt.

Reactions: Brianj5600
So I changed the battery and it's still doing the same thing. Starter should be in today. If that's not it what else could it be?