Weight budget

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Doing a weight budget for the SE. I'm attempting to keep it as light a possible without sacrificing the upgrades that I think I need. Doing a back of the envelope calculation, it seems that adding hundreds of pounds of stuff is mind numbingly easy! Bumpers, winch, lift, armor, accessories, gear. It's almost magical how setting up your TJ with the stuff you think you need can turn it into a dog, at least on paper. Poof! A nimble, lightweight SE becomes an under powered lead brick.

The more I run the numbers and run the trails, keeping it stock with a few minor mods is making more sense. Doing a minimal build with only the stuff that I absolutly reqire is making more sense. /rant over

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E
Shit... My front bumper and winch alone weighed a shit ton. Add tires onto that as well as other things and the numbers add up easily. I think it is pretty damn easy to add 500 lbs. onto a TJ without even realizing it.

Reactions: JP13 and StG58
Shit... My front bumper and winch alone weighed a shit ton. Add tires onto that as well as other things and the numbers add up easily. I think it is pretty damn easy to add 500 lbs. onto a TJ without even realizing it.

Front and rear bumpers, a winch, a rear tire carrier, bigger tires and wheels, axles and you are over 750 added pounds probably. I think it's a case of go big or go home. I'm fairly competitive, so staying on the porch while the big dogs play isn't in my nature. I wonder if @Stinger would notice if I swapped TJ's with him in the middle of the night? Nah, he'd hunt me down and hurt me bad and I'd have to lay there and let him.

But back to the matter at hand. Weight. I keep advocating for build for the trails you run, keep it simple, SE's rock, etc. Then I keep asking about mods and stuff that add a metric butt-ton of weight and the mods spiral right out of control. It's a form of Jeep multiple personality disorder, I'm sure. Bamacon's front bumper sure looks good and would protect the front corners of the TJ nicely though, wouldn't they? (at the cost of my power to weight ratio going right into the toilet.)

Front and rear bumpers, a winch, a rear tire carrier, bigger tires and wheels, axles and you are over 750 added pounds probably. I think it's a case of go big or go home. I'm fairly competitive, so staying on the porch while the big dogs play isn't in my nature. I wonder if @Stinger would notice if I swapped TJ's with him in the middle of the night? Nah, he'd hunt me down and hurt me bad and I'd have to lay there and let him.

But back to the matter at hand. Weight. I keep advocating for build for the trails you run, keep it simple, SE's rock, etc. Then I keep asking about mods and stuff that add a metric butt-ton of weight and the mods spiral right out of control. It's a form of Jeep multiple personality disorder, I'm sure. Bamacon's front bumper sure looks good and would protect the front corners of the TJ nicely though, wouldn't they? (at the cost of my power to weight ratio going right into the toilet.)

I don't hurt my friends! I do tease the crap out them though!:rolleyes:
There are a lot of things you can do to reduce the wait, but! $$$$$$. Aluminum aint cheap! You can run without a spare:) and the associated carrier.
Stinger weighs in at over 5k!

Reactions: Chris and StG58
I don't hurt my friends! I do tease the crap out them though!:rolleyes:
There are a lot of things you can do to reduce the wait, but! $$$$$$. Aluminum aint cheap! You can run without a spare:) and the associated carrier.
Stinger weighs in at over 5k!

That's getting up into Suburban weight! I think my Sub weighs in at around 6500# or so empty. I've been looking into aluminum for weight savings, and you really don't save much weight. At one point I was talking to Metalcloak about their aluminum control arms and the aluminum arms weigh more than the steel arms for example. You end up needing more metal to get the required strength and durability with aluminum.

i didn't figure you would hurt your friends, Stinger, but swapping out a man's jeep is just wrong on so many levels. So...:eek: Teasing the crap out of them is expected.

I know the SE weighs right at 3,200# right now. Stinger weighs in at 5,000#. it would be interesting to hear what other folks TJ's weigh in at with their mods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Well, I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else stumbles upon it, I started this, and am working on it slowly.

I’ve always wanted to build a stripped down 4 cyl TJ (or YJ) with safari top, soft doors, Super 35, 35’s and a Neon SRT turbo’d 4 cyl.