Weird 32RH Transmission Shift Issue

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Today I was on the way to work and had to stop to get gas. I pulled up to the pump, put it in park (so I thought) and turned it off and removed key. I went to get out and it started rolling backward. Thought that was strange so I looked down and noticed it was in Neutral. I tried to put it in park but the shifter only would move from Drive to Neutral and back to Drive. Wouldn't go either way passed that. I was a little concerned, but, being on the way to work, I just set the brake and got out and pumped my gas. I was thinking that maybe I removed the key to quickly and made it so it wouldn't shift and thought that when I got back in, and put the key in, it would be ok. Well, it still didn't want to shift. Luckily it started in Neutral and I was able to drive to work.

When I got to work, I stopped, put it in Park, which it did with no problem. So curious, I shifted it back in Drive, then back to Park. No issues at all. Got off work, started it up, and no issues anymore.

So, what to do you all think could have happened? Think maybe the key didn't tell the shifter all was ok at that one moment in time? Only other thing I could think of, is I am getting a rattle from the linkage under the Jeep. The driveway leading into the gas station is at a small incline and so it is kind of like driving into a dip to get into it. I was thinking maybe my linkage got bound up because of that? Possibility? If so, I need to order some new bushings for the linkage, although honestly, it doesn't look bad from what I can see. (The last time I looked about a week ago).

I can't tell you what happen, but I can tell you that it sounds like it was just a fluke instance.