Weird beeping while driving

AceShooter

So just happened and can’t get it to go again.

Drove for about 10 miles, was driving about 45mph in 4th gear, downhill not much gas.

All of a sudden I started hearing a beeping noise. Same noise when you leave parking brake up. Checked parking brake and it was down all the way.

Started to slow down to pull into a parking lot and as I pulled in it stopped.

All gauges were in normal operating range. No dummy lights, other that the airbag light that’s been on since I bought the Jeep.

Have driven the Jeep about 40 miles today just running a few errands.

Should I chaulk it up as a 14 year old Jeep gremlin or does anyone know of something to check or keep an eye on?

Yeah no turn signal on or anything.

It was weird.

I’m picking up my daughter and I might try to go the same route to see if I can recreate it. If not, I’ll just chaulk it up and move on I guess.

Could it be a guy behind you ?...…

Lol.

I actually was able to recreate the beep. Again going downhill about 40mph in 4th.

I also noticed that my blinkers are barely blinking with the parking lights on. Just replaced them all with some LED and an LED flasher relay. You can barely tell they are blinking with the parking lights on.

Might go back to non-led relay and see if the blink brighter with parking lights. I know they will hyper flash but atleast I should know if it’s the relay or the bulbs.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
It is the LED exterior lighting. Keep the LED relay. The LED's will change the input voltage to your blinker circuit and your instrument cluster will start beeping because it will think your blinkers are on for an extended time, seeming randomly like a mind of it's own. You need to reduce the voltage to the left and the right blinker wires coming out/in of the instrument panel by using proper diodes or resistors or both. A LED load reistor, one for each wire, under the dash on a proper metal mount should work too.

It is the LED exterior lighting. Keep the LED relay. The LED's will change the input voltage to your blinker circuit and your instrument cluster will start beeping because it will think your blinkers are on for an extended time, seeming randomly like a mind of it's own. You need to reduce the voltage to the left and the right blinker wires coming out/in of the instrument panel by using proper diodes or resistors or both. A LED load reistor, one for each wire, under the dash on a proper metal mount should work too.
And don't forget to add blinker fluid to proper level... 😉🤣

My aftermarket multifunction switch will sometimes act in a similar way, I jiggle the turn signal lever and it stops.

Last edited:
I had the same thing happened to me while driving 45mph and in 3rd gear. The beeping sounds like the ebrake reminder beeps and comes on randomly.

My problem was either both the multifunction switch that was going bad and rusted contacts on the front turn signal bulbs. Replaced the turn signal bulbs and packed it with dielectric grease. JB weld the stock multifunction switch (there's a model fix on this) and all is good.

Drove for about 10 miles, was driving about 45mph in 4th gear, downhill not much gas.

All of a sudden I started hearing a beeping noise. Same noise when you leave parking brake up. Checked parking brake and it was down all the way.

All gauges were in normal operating range. No dummy lights, other that the airbag light that’s been on since I bought the Jeep.

Should I chaulk it up as a 14 year old Jeep gremlin or does anyone know of something to check or keep an eye on?
I had this just happen to me. I converted all lights to led(awesome btw) a few months ago and the reason being was the running day light led popped out driver’s side. I believe it was mentioned elsewhere as a reason, popped it back in a good to go.

Did you play with anything lately, like the center console where the parking brake sensor is that could be loose?

@Chris, that could be a concern about cutting your harness, like does the parking brake sensor draw power from the audio harness?

Did you play with anything lately, like the center console where the parking brake sensor is that could be loose?

@Chris, that could be a concern about cutting your harness, like does the parking brake sensor draw power from the audio harness?

Good point!

Page 472 of the 2005 Jeep TJ FSM

The turn signal system in this vehicle includes a turn signal-on warning chime feature. The EMIC electronic circuitry monitors the turn signal indicators as well as electronic vehicle speed and distance messages received from the PCM over the PCI data bus network to provide this feature. If an indicator remains illuminated continuously with the vehicle speed above about 25 kilometers per hour (15 miles per hour) for a distance of greater than about 1.6 kilometers (1 mile), the EMIC generates a chime through an integral chime tone generator (The distance is greater for export vehicles).

Page 472 of the 2005 Jeep TJ FSM

The turn signal system in this vehicle includes a turn signal-on warning chime feature. The EMIC electronic circuitry monitors the turn signal indicators as well as electronic vehicle speed and distance messages received from the PCM over the PCI data bus network to provide this feature. If an indicator remains illuminated continuously with the vehicle speed above about 25 kilometers per hour (15 miles per hour) for a distance of greater than about 1.6 kilometers (1 mile), the EMIC generates a chime through an integral chime tone generator (The distance is greater for export vehicles).

I've had this problem since I swapped out my headlights over to LED's (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMQMMN6/?tag=wranglerorg-20)
It only occurs while my headlights are ON. To temporarily stop the noise, I quickly turn on my right turn signal. It drains enough power from the relay to get me through a few more miles of driving. I haven't bothered to fix it yet, but after a year of just putting up with it, I was searching here for some ideas.

I already put in a relay up under the steering column a while back. I believe it was the flasher relay that was supposedly LED compatible. Perhaps I should try another one? Any other suggestions? Someone mentioned resistors.

Maybe I'll just add in a ton more LED headlights until it stops. Haha.

In my case this beeping started after I replaced the front turn signals and side lamps with LEDs. It only happens when all the lights are on. All I have to do is turn the headlights and running lights off and then back on again to make the beeping stop. Adding a load resistor to each LED is supposed to fix this. I haven't had time to try it out. I don't think the relay really has anything to do with it. The relay is also reacting to what it feels is an irregular load.