Weird ignition issue

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So the other day I put the key in the ignition and turn it, it starts up but I have a red "brake" light on and "airbag" light on in my cluster, also my radio won't turn on and my heat doesn't work all the sudden.

It seems like when I turn the key further (as if i'm starting it) it grinds something like i'm trying to start an already started vehicle. But if I turn the key back just a little (as if i'm turning it off) the dash lights go away, and my heat and radio turn on instantly.

So what did I just break here...this was never an issue before, it seemed to just happen. Every time I start my Jeep now, I have to adjust the key back a little from where I normally would have never thought about it. Just turn the key and it starts and you leave it alone. Now I have to start it then adjust it back a little for everything to wrk as it did before.

Sound familiar to anyone? or any ideas?

Are you sure you didn't accidentally pull your key halfway out, some jeeps have a key issue where you can pull it out about 1/4 inch, first thing that happens is the radio will stop working, you can do it while driving down the highway on accident if you bump your keys, push the key in snug and the radio turns back on...

Broken ignition actuator pin wont allow a jeep to crank or start, but ordering one as a spare is never a bad idea for ALL tj owners.

Good stuff! Is there a write-up on this forum on the swap? I was reading some reviews of the switch on Amazon and some people were saying the swap requires a security torx to remove the original, but then none specified what size. Is this the case do you happen to know? Or anything else needed to do the job? Thanks!

Are you sure you didn't accidentally pull your key halfway out, some jeeps have a key issue where you can pull it out about 1/4 inch, first thing that happens is the radio will stop working, you can do it while driving down the highway on accident if you bump your keys, push the key in snug and the radio turns back on...

Broken ignition actuator pin wont allow a jeep to crank or start, but ordering one as a spare is never a bad idea for ALL tj owners.
And yes, i'm sure I didn't pull the key halfway out. I did it a dozen times in a row to verify. It's weird enough to know something is wrong, especially when you know your vehicle like TJ owners tend to. Seems as if I can turn the key further than I was previously able to and have to dial it back in order for the accessories to kick on.

Weird part is it seems like all the reviews of people replacing this switch are doing so because the vehicle won't start, whereas thats not the case with mine, it starts just fine its the accessories that don't work without finessing the key.

Reactions: EJD
For me, it was the airbag light, the heater not working, and one other thing that escapes me now. I was also told that if I had a rear defroster, that probably wouldn't work either.

Hope the switch is your fix, and keep us posted!

Reactions: EJD
For me, it was the airbag light, the heater not working, and one other thing that escapes me now. I was also told that if I had a rear defroster, that probably wouldn't work either.

Hope the switch is your fix, and keep us posted!
Absolutely! Though i'm curious what part of the switch breaks and causes the fail, I shall report back.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
Update, so I was unable to complete the job at hand yet because for 1, my package was lost in the mail...

2, that youtube video is only for the ignition lock cylinder replacement and does not go into whats needed to access the ignition switch or the ignition switch actuator.

3, the link for the replacement part was for the actuator not the ignition switch, which what people were saying my issue sounded like, so now at this point i'm unsure if I need the "Ignition Switch" or the "Ignition Switch Actuator" or both...that is unclear.

4, there ARE two micro security torx screws holding the actuator in place. Which I also don't have, no stores on the coast have, and i'll have to order. Back to the drawing board.

If I remember correctly, the switch was on the lefthand side of the column. I did need a security torx to get it off, though I don't remember the size.

If I remember correctly, the switch was on the lefthand side of the column. I did need a security torx to get it off, though I don't remember the size.
The switch is on the left side, but again not knowing whats wrong is it the switch or the switch actuator thats faulty? Because the part that was linked for me to buy was the actuator not the switch...or should I be buying both? And I still need a set of micro security torx bits now to do anything with either piece.

The switch is on the left side, but again not knowing whats wrong is it the switch or the switch actuator thats faulty? Because the part that was linked for me to buy was the actuator not the switch...or should I be buying both? And I still need a set of micro security torx bits now to do anything with either piece.
True, but the security torx I got from autozone were pretty cheap.

What I did was google the symptoms. From there I read through a bunch of unrelated crap til I found a post somewhere that had my exact issues.

As I said, a/c fan not blowing, airbag light, rear wiper not working, etc were listed as symptoms of the switch. I can't remember if the radio worked or not.

I had no grinding, though.