Weird Vibration Issue from Driveshaft (not pinion angle related)

jodomcfrodo

Antagonist and Dick
Supporting Member
Hi all,
I posted a few days ago about switching to sealed u-joints and decided that it is a smart move to switch over. My jeep goes in tomorrow to get the driveshafts rebuilt with sealed u-joints (right now one u-joint in the front end is chirping pretty good).

While rebuilding the shaft may fix the issues I've been having lately, I've been having trouble with my front driveshaft ever since I lifted my jeep two years ago and am trying to find possible issues that could cause the weird symptoms I've been having (hoping to give the shop an idea of what could be wrong when I drop it off tomorrow).

In the past 2 years, my jeep has had 3 or 4 different front driveshafts from Adams driveshafts. When a new shaft is put in, everything works properly, at least for a while. I can drive 95mph with no vibration (though I've never gone that speed for more than a few seconds to test vibration). But then, after a few months and a few thousand miles, I start to get vibrations. One time, the CV joint on the front driveshaft failed (meaning very very loud angry sparrows) and twice the slip joint has become "loose" (a lot of upwards and downwards play). Obviously both of these issues can cause vibration.

There is something in the front end of my jeep that isn't set up correctly, but I'm not sure what it could be. I've had 3 or 4 different mechanics check the pinion angle and it is dead on, I'm sure of it at this point. Right now I'm at a loss as to what could be causing my front driveshaft to fail after a few thousand miles. I'm pretty sure that the shafts failing aren't a coincidence because the story is the same for every shaft. Works great for a few thousand miles, then vibrations from the front driveshaft pop up, and then the driveshaft fails all together.

Some ideas I've thought of but debunked:

1) Stuck in 4WD? Nope, can do donuts in the snow no problem.
2) Axle not located properly? Doesn't seem likely with my Currie control arms
3) Getting hit off-road? The shaft that has just failed has never been off-road before, only seen 2000 highway miles.
4) Improper installation? Don't think so either, I've had extremely reputable jeep shops put my driveshafts on just to see if installation was the problem.
5) Lack of grease? The shaft that just failed only has 2000 miles on it. Only has to be greased every 3000 so not likely that is the issue.

I have 33's that have worn perfectly and a currie lift with 3 inch savvy springs. In the front dana 30, I have G2 4.56 gears with an ARB locker. The transfer case is just the stock unit, but it is a rebuilt case and was installed a year ago.

Any ideas on what could be wrong with the front end of my jeep?

Thanks!

EDIT: One thing I just thought of it that my Currie trackbar has a jam nut that keeps working its way loose. I don't think it would really change that much because I don't think the trackbar could change length even with that nut completely removed. But it is something to think about. Maybe the axle isn't located properly side to side?

Last edited:
Did you ever figure anything out? I'm hunting a maddening front driveshaft vibe as well. Disappears when my shaft is disconnected, but hasn't improved with a full rebuild and balance of the shaft.

Did you ever figure anything out? I'm hunting a maddening front driveshaft vibe as well. Disappears when my shaft is disconnected, but hasn't improved with a full rebuild and balance of the shaft.

Never really figured it out. My Jeep gets next to 0 highway miles now and I've had bigger issues to deal with than the vibration. I have absolutely no clue what it could be at this point. My Jeep is getting frame swapped within the next few months so I'm hoping it goes away then. Honestly, if nothing changes after that, I'm going to try a Tom Woods driveshaft. Everything is set up perfectly as far as I and many different Jeep shops can tell.
No clue why it has kept blowing through driveshafts. Really wish I could figure it out though.