Weld grade 5/8?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Need to make a flag nut to mount a rear tow hook. I know welding grade 8 will likely kill its' heat treatment.. Any issue welding grade 5?

Need to make a flag nut to mount a rear tow hook. I know welding grade 8 will likely kill its' heat treatment.. Any issue welding grade 5?

I weld grade 8 all the time to make flag nuts. Won't hurt a thing and if you are the teensiest bit worried, then just do two heavy tacks opposite each other. I tend to make the hole a tight fit to the bolt, weld it, pull the nut off the bolt, remove it and then run a tap through from the nut side to clean up the hole I drilled to make the bolt easy to start.

I weld grade 8 all the time to make flag nuts. Won't hurt a thing and if you are the teensiest bit worried, then just do two heavy tacks opposite each other. I tend to make the hole a tight fit to the bolt, weld it, pull the nut off the bolt, remove it and then run a tap through from the nut side to clean up the hole I drilled to make the bolt easy to start.

Perfect. Thank you!

Reactions: mrblaine
Perfect. Thank you!

In case anyone is wondering how I actually know this works, we make a flag nut for the track bar. We have done versions where we used Metric Class 10.9 nuts and welded them to the flag. We do not have a single failure of the nut stripping out and we've sold a couple of 1000.

Reactions: JMT

This seems simple answer just buy grade 5/8 flag nuts at Tractor Supply. Using a homemade flag nut in as critical location is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
This question has to be from a troll pimping for some backyard fabrication outfit solution. Why wouldn't the poster just go down to his local Ace Hardware and buy a grade 5 or 8 flange nut?

Now we know some of the things you haven't done or fabricated for your Jeep that are made much easier with a flag nut.

Last edited:
Now we know some of the things you haven't done or fabricated fit your Jeep that are made much easier with a flag nut.

You are correct, I buy grade 8 flag nuts at my Tractor Supply thus not running the risk of defeating the purpose of the grade 5/8 heat treating.

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
Reactions: jjvw
This question has to be from a troll pimping for some backyard fabrication outfit solution. Why wouldn't the poster just go down to his local Ace Hardware and buy a grade 5 or 8 flange nut?

You can't be serious with this comment. Maybe you should check profile information before throwing down off-handed comments. Or, are you just new to Jeeps? Or nuts in general?

I'm not looking for a flange nut. I want a flag nut. Google is your friend.

In case anyone is wondering how I actually know this works, we make a flag nut for the track bar. We have done versions where we used Metric Class 10.9 nuts and welded them to the flag. We do not have a single failure of the nut stripping out and we've sold a couple of 1000.

It absolutely works. I made it this morning. Should have taken pics but I didn't think it would necessary to prove it actually happened.
Here a totally useless pic of the tow hook installed and if you could see inside the frame rail, you'd see the flag welded to the nut. Worked perfectly... Thank you @mrblaine !! I almost got an offset 19mm wrench on it, but once the flag nut was made it was a joy ride to install.

Thank you to @NashvilleTJ for sending me the tow hook!
:cool:
IMG_4484.JPG

Last edited:
You can't be serious with this comment. Maybe you should check profile information before throwing down off-handed comments. Or, are you just new to Jeeps? Or nuts in general?

I'm not looking for a flange nut. I want a flag nut. Google is your friend.

It absolutely works. I made it this morning. Should have taken pics but I didn't think it would necessary to prove it actually happened.
Here a totally useless pic of the tow hook installed and if you could see inside the frame rail, you'd see the flag welded to the nut. Worked perfectly... Thank you @mrblaine !! I almost got an offset 19mm wrench on it, but once the flag nut was made it was a joy ride to install.

Thank you to @NashvilleTJ for sending me the tow hook!
:cool:
View attachment 360416

Mike you are right for your right for your application, I misunderstood how you intended to use the flag nut. Thanks for correcting me.