Welding advice

.025? that's good for sheet metal work. you'll burn it up fast runnin welds on thicker material.
.030 will be fine for 16ga up to 7ga. slightly more power to run but less wire fed through the unit.
and .035 for 7ga to 3/8", but 110V kinda keeps you out of this realm. your machine might run the wire but lacks the power to penetrate deep enough to anchor a weld sized for that thick a material.

wire and gas are consumables and you wanna try and keep your cost to operate low.
so gas only needs to be just able to shield the weld, any more is a waste.
with wire, to small a diameter and your gonna burn right through it. if the material can take the heat it takes to use thicker wire, use it.
Ok. I’ll get that changed out asap. Thanks. Technically he machine says it can do 1/4”. I watched a video on some people actually welding 1/4” and it wasn’t bad. I’ll probably stay away from it though.

Following because I really need to learn how to weld and have no obstacles to learning. I too struggle with the ability to see when welding but to be honest my vision is bad already. What I've learned so far is that when I have the right settings, good set up, and good instruction I can lay down a solid weld. When I go at it solo I am a mess. Keep trying and you'll get it.

Following because I really need to learn how to weld and have no obstacles to learning. I too struggle with the ability to see when welding but to be honest my vision is bad already. What I've learned so far is that when I have the right settings, good set up, and good instruction I can lay down a solid weld. When I go at it solo I am a mess. Keep trying and you'll get it.
The key to decent welds is being able to look at a weld and figure out what is wrong with it which is why you need to learn a straight speed and angle weld first.

Reactions: Rick Flair
.025? that's good for sheet metal work. you'll burn it up fast runnin welds on thicker material.
.030 will be fine for 16ga up to 7ga. slightly more power to run but less wire fed through the unit.
and .035 for 7ga to 3/8", but 110V kinda keeps you out of this realm. your machine might run the wire but lacks the power to penetrate deep enough to anchor a weld sized for that thick a material.

wire and gas are consumables and you wanna try and keep your cost to operate low.
so gas only needs to be just able to shield the weld, any more is a waste.
with wire, to small a diameter and your gonna burn right through it. if the material can take the heat it takes to use thicker wire, use it.
Well the .035 that came with the machine is for flux so i’ll have to buy some tomorrow. I made another box though and here’s some pictures of it. So far I can hear that I need to watch the depth of how far my torch is from the metal and the angle i’m holding it at. Also, i tried doing some welds up and down and realized how you kinda got to drag it differently because of gravity. I tried pushing a weld, didn’t turn out that great but wasn’t horrible.

AEE035D8-437F-440E-ACAC-3B308AFEF1BF.jpeg

02FDA168-74A8-45EF-94CC-5DF053F91874.jpeg

B03A4F2F-D5C6-4646-B42F-ED3C3505699C.jpeg

E6A962CF-A2FE-40E9-9EB1-B19B3DC3E11F.jpeg

72189402-3861-4794-BD79-C993A3204DA5.jpeg

6BF08BE1-74C7-4B10-9A2E-087FE1E6F10A.jpeg

20AD8F35-FEC1-46E0-AF63-10D9757F4316.jpeg

4E9AA309-875F-4F1D-B297-C8B247DB56C5.jpeg

66EDF07D-154C-4398-97B4-349A4619BB1B.jpeg

this machine is a lincoln 140, 110V ?
lincolns are notorious for being a bit under powered compared to other high end welding machines of = rating.

i'd have to weld and break a test of 1/4" material, b4 i'd trust any 110V. ratings on the welder differ for flux core and solid wire. it's not made to weld 1/4" with solid wire, it's 1/4" stat is likely based on flux core wire use. and even then if your working 1/4" ^ with flux ,you really want some CO2 shielding gas for it to get the best weld possible.

linc 2.PNG

Last edited:
this machine is a lincoln 140, 110V ?
lincolns are notorious for being a bit under powered compared to other high end welding machines of = rating.

i'd have to weld and break a test of 1/4" material, b4 i'd trust any 110V. ratings on the welder differ for flux core and solid wire. it's not made to weld 1/4" with solid wire, it's 1/4" stat is likely based on flux core wire use. and even then if your working 1/4" ^ with flux ,you really want some CO2 shielding gas for it to get the best weld possible.

View attachment 222320
Ahh. Yeah. I looked at the chart on the side. Only for flux. Either way, i’ll be staying away from metal that thick. Anyway, how are my welds looking.

Welds are looking pretty good. Looks like your speed is more consistent. I have heard of people using flux core wire with gas, although I have never done it. Maybe others can comment on this. That would let you use the wire you have. Yes, flux core gets more penetration than solid wire. Also try not to use the welder on an extension cord. You will experience line loss and not have all the amperage available for heavy welding. I prefer flux core for welding outside doing onsite repairs, or rusty metal. Seems to weld better to me. Also weld indoors with no fan or wind so the gas will not be blown away from shielding your welds. If you notice craters or spatter, that is either contamination, or lack of shielding gas protecting your welds. I do not see any of these conditions on your welds. Just something to be aware of. Keep it up!

Reactions: Chasitek
Welds are looking pretty good. Looks like your speed is more consistent. I have heard of people using flux core wire with gas, although I have never done it. Maybe others can comment on this. That would let you use the wire you have. Yes, flux core gets more penetration than solid wire. Also try not to use the welder on an extension cord. You will experience line loss and not have all the amperage available for heavy welding. I prefer flux core for welding outside doing onsite repairs, or rusty metal. Seems to weld better to me. Also weld indoors with no fan or wind so the gas will not be blown away from shielding your welds. If you notice craters or spatter, that is either contamination, or lack of shielding gas protecting your welds. I do not see any of these conditions on your welds. Just something to be aware of. Keep it up!
Alright thanks. I’m not using an extension cord since ai read about all that. I actually turned down the recommended amperage on the chart cause it was too hot. I’m not planning on becoming a professional welder of any kind. Just think it’s a good skill to have and a fun new hobby. Thanks for all the info.

Reactions: Mrhp and Apparition
excessive length of power cord can reduce available power to the unit and heat a small cord up pretty good.
min-17V +/- for thin sheet metal.
17-18V +/- for 16ga -1/8"
18-max/19V will do your 1/8--3/16"
and this would change some with wire selection. thin goes lower, thick goes up.

excessive length of power cord can reduce available power to the unit and heat a small cord up pretty good.
min-17V +/- for thin sheet metal.
17-18V +/- for 16ga -1/8"
18-max/19V will do your 1/8--3/16"
and this would change some with wire selection. thin goes lower, thick goes up.
I wasn't using an extension cable. I have been told to get some thicker wire which I'll do soon and I guess is why I had to turn down the voltage from the recommended amount.

Looking better but I’m no master. I run .030 and 25/75 gas on my little 110v MIG. It’s handy for sure and just keep practicing. The good part about the little 110v’s is the small gun too. So easier to get it in small places. Consumables aren’t expensive either so weld the shit out of everything.

Great advice in this thread.

I got a new helmet because I suspected that was a part of my problem...and its MUCH better than the old one. I was playing around with my welder tonight, playing with voltage and wire feed. I'm using a Lincoln 210MP. I seem to get the best results (by my eye) from setting the voltage high in the tolerance band and the wire feed low in the tolerance band.

This was with the "stock" settings. I think the spatter is from not cleaning the steel before I started welding. It was just some 3/16' scrap I had laying around and it was dirty.

1612577412882.png

Once I adjusted my settings..

1612577440022.png

1612577453062.png

what say the hive?

Reactions: someguysjeep
I got a new helmet because I suspected that was a part of my problem...and its MUCH better than the old one. I was playing around with my welder tonight, playing with voltage and wire feed. I'm using a Lincoln 210MP. I seem to get the best results (by my eye) from setting the voltage high in the tolerance band and the wire feed low in the tolerance band.

This was with the "stock" settings. I think the spatter is from not cleaning the steel before I started welding. It was just some 3/16' scrap I had laying around and it was dirty.

View attachment 223900

View attachment 223901

View attachment 223902

what say the hive?
Adjusted setting welds look great!

Reactions: Mike_H
need work? like the freezin ass cold of northern ohio?

they hired this kid this wk....mid 20's claims he had all kinds of certs at his old job, they hired him in right away.
i get some of his work thurs.. they had him prep'in parts for me to run. this is the garbage i got from him. when i pointed this crap out to my super, he said "it is what it is, don't worry about it".

turns my belly. this kid would not weld for me, certs my ass.

145979414_329610011711402_752534038219118034_n.jpg

146087753_202702784887991_7769898726139992397_n.jpg

146516287_2928125584086706_8730614042063583641_n.jpg

146667441_972821480215113_3505063266386152894_n.jpg

View attachment 223900

View attachment 223901

View attachment 223902

what say the hive?
Generally spatter comes from staying in the puddle too long. You can hear it start popping and move away from the consistent buzz you are after.

Reactions: Mike_H
need work? like the freezin ass cold of northern ohio?

they hired this kid this wk....mid 20's claims he had all kinds of certs at his old job, they hired him in right away.
i get some of his work thurs.. they had him prep'in parts for me to run. this is the garbage i got from him. when i pointed this crap out to my super, he said "it is what it is, don't worry about it".

turns my belly. this kid would not weld for me, certs my ass.

View attachment 224040

View attachment 224041

View attachment 224042

View attachment 224043
If you are going to move the tip back and forth that much, you oughta at least trigger weld it so it doesn't look like shit.

If you are going to move the tip back and forth that much, you oughta at least trigger weld it so it doesn't look like shit.
i'm finishing the frame on my robot and my flux welds look like glass, really highlighting how bad it is.