Welding wire size

pcoplin

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Figured I would ask you guys about welding wire for what we do. For cages, frame, axles, ect.

I have a Millermatic 200 (250 amp machine) and have always ran .035 in it. For the fab I do I'm not sure I need it, been thinking of swapping to .030. I also have a 110v welder with .023 in it for small stuff.

Any reason to step down to .030 wire? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I run an old Millermatic 185. I also use the .035 most of the time. The only time I use .030 is if I have a lot of sheet metal to weld, otherwise I make do with the .035

Edit: I see no reason for you to ever swap because you have your 110 welder.

Yeah, not worried about light sheet and exhaust, I already have a Lincoln SP100 for that.

I'm not trying to do sheet metal with my 250 amp machine, just trying to better my tube work welding with it.

Figured I would ask you guys about welding wire for what we do. For cages, frame, axles, ect.

I have a Millermatic 200 (250 amp machine) and have always ran .035 in it. For the fab I do I'm not sure I need it, been thinking of swapping to .030. I also have a 110v welder with .023 in it for small stuff.

Any reason to step down to .030 wire? Thanks!

If you step down to the .030, you can slow down the deposition rate and still get good penetration for welding copes on tubes etc. Gives you just a smidge more time to lay the bead around tricky areas if you are not one who is practiced and does it all the time.

Yeah, not worried about light sheet and exhaust, I already have a Lincoln SP100 for that.

I'm not trying to do sheet metal with my 250 amp machine, just trying to better my tube work welding with it.

Lay out some practice copes and a small spool of .030. I believe you may enjoy the lower deposition rate and the small bit more time to lay the bead in accurately.

Lay out some practice copes and a small spool of .030. I believe you may enjoy the lower deposition rate and the small bit more time to lay the bead in accurately.
can't fit below a 10 lb roll on my machine, sort of an investment, but may be worth a try.

Thanks for validating my assumption. My Fullstack partner does cage work with his Hobart 140, and his beads are excellent. I can do tubing much better with that machine also, the speed seems to be cut down significantly. I don't do roll cage stuff often enough, I get mediocre results until 5 or 6 tubes deep. LOL

If you step down to the .030, you can slow down the deposition rate and still get good penetration for welding copes on tubes etc. Gives you just a smidge more time to lay the bead around tricky areas if you are not one who is practiced and does it all the time.
I agree with Mrblain, weld puddle control will be easier with the .30 and help the look of the finished weld and cut back on the grinding/cleaning time.

I agree with Mrblain, weld puddle control will be easier with the .30 and help the look of the finished weld and cut back on the grinding/cleaning time.
Thanks!

Although Im not a professional, I consider myself to be a welder, not a grinder. :)

I have some friends that are welders, they are good welders who do it for a living. Once I got around them and listened and saw what they do, I figured out that I am someone who welds, but a welder I am not.

I have several friends that are welders by trade, and I joke that I'll never ask them for advice. Because unless it's building bridges or boat hulls, I'll never be doing it right. Haha!

Fabricator is a better word, welders weld by what's on the spec for that job, and if it's not perfect on an x-ray, they'll be out of a job. Much different than gluing .120 wall tube together, a lot more forgiveness in that.

I do however try to make it professional for the little amount I end up doing.

Reactions: Fughuert
I have several friends that are welders by trade, and I joke that I'll never ask them for advice. Because unless it's building bridges or boat hulls, I'll never be doing it right. Haha!

Fabricator is a better word, welders weld by what's on the spec for that job, and if it's not perfect on an x-ray, they'll be out of a job. Much different than gluing .120 wall tube together, a lot more forgiveness in that.

I do however try to make it professional for the little amount I end up doing.

You can always tell someone who doesn't know welders and welding by them asking for a "certified" welder to come and do work. Sorry, it doesn't really work that way. What processes do you want them certified in? There is a bunch of them and they have to pass a certification for each process. One friend in particular has been doing this a long time and just went to work at some fairly strict place due to the type of work they do. Each welder has to recertify a group of processes that are commonly used. He is very good and tells me he is struggling to pass this one uphill process with a special rod for arc welding and it is kicking his ass.