Well crap, I need a new phone!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
My ruggedized Samsung Rugby is a victim of the 3G turn-off (Despite being a 4G device), so I need a new phone. Think I've settled on the Sonim XP3Plus.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
$210, jeeeze, even flip phones are expensive now.

Yea - it looks like I'm going to have to pay full buck for it - $299 - as I want an unlocked version. I pay $15/mo for phone, I'll be damned if I'll pay T-Mobile $45/mo to run the damn thing just so I can buy it from them.

well hell, at that price I would seriously consider a smart phone, its amazing how tough some of these new I-phones are, especially with a good case.

Reactions: srimes
My ruggedized Samsung Rugby is a victim of the 3G turn-off (Despite being a 4G device), so I need a new phone. Think I've settled on the Sonim XP3Plus.

I felt the same way when the Rat bastards turn off 2G and I had to replace my Razr V3i. ( with the Rugby ) . 🤨

Reactions: Blondie70
I felt the same way when the Rat bastards turn off 2G and I had to replace my Razr V3i. ( with the Rugby ) . 🤨
I wasn't sure if the Rugby was gonna get turned off or not as it is a 4G LTE phone - so I simply decided to wait until it didn't work anymore before dealing with it. Yesterday was the day. It happened to me in 2007 as well when 1G analog was turned off and I had to replace my Panasonic bag phone that I'd had for 18 years. I'd still be using that if it still worked.

I could get any number of flips for cheap or free, but I've wanted a Sonim for years but all they made were candybar phones until the XP3 came out in 2019, then the XP3Plus last year. I insist that my phone be able to keep up with me, I've broken a couple of lesser phones since 2007. I hope this one will go at least 10 years - but if I never had to replace it for the rest of my life I'd be happiest.

I also looked at the Cat S-22, but its too much a smartphone - although if I wanted a smartphone, that would be the one.

Reactions: Blondie70
Same thing happened to me after I had my Samsung Galaxy 8 refurbished. Went to T-Mobile and got new phone/service. Week later while wrenching on the TJ, I left it on the fender while I took it for a test drive...ran over the damn thing

IMG_20220423_132742.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
Phone ordered. Getting one that was both unlocked and new was "interesting" - had to buy it directly from the distributor.

Showed up today, had to set it up to run with Consumer Cellular, but it works splendidly. Missed a Dr.'s appt while I was without a phone as they left a friggin' voicemail. I sure wish people would use email...
newphone.jpg

Old Samsung on the Left, new Sonim on the right. This thing is a BEAST! Loving it so far.

The irony of this sentence in this thread is astounding :ROFLMAO:

Nothing ironic about it. Phones and I aren't a good mix - not even landlines. My computer has email open and running at all times, if they had emailed me, I would have gotten the message immediately. Voicemail is horrid, even under ideal conditions.

Reactions: TJ Jim