Well folks, I'm considering selling the TJ

Just an FYI our boy is a Jeep tech at a Dealership.
His thought on buying a new Jeep.
DO NOT BUY ONE.
Plain and simple from someone that deals with them every day.

While probably true; these posts make me laugh.
What else is a tech going to think.
You don't take good running vehicles in for service. :D

Reactions: L J
At the end of the day, you should drive what (you think) you want and is gonna make you happy; life's too short to do otherwise. I personally don't see the "wisdom" in your situation, but then I guess I'm just one of the aforementioned "old men". I've made a boatload of misteaks (see what I did there?!) in my life; I've also found that any "advice" I've tried to give anyone else goes unfollowed 99% of the time. That's just human nature; I've been as guilty of that as most ever'one else. I'm reminded of a funny "observation" from back in my college days; to wit: "After my four years of college I came home to be amazed at just how smart my parents got during the time I was away..."

From where *I* sit, the last "Wrangler" that Jeep made was in 2006. Of course, I also think that the last Corvette that Chevrolet made was in 1972, and the last Submariner that Rolex made was in 2011...

Okay, I'd better go - my soup's getting cold...

Pretty soon, my TJ will be paid off. Woo-hoo!

But she is a 2006 and isn't getting any younger. Parts are getting harder to find - like that heater core I still haven't bothered to get installed.

So, I went to a dealer today and talked to them about a 2023 2 Door Rubicon (in blue) that I optioned out on the website.

I'm attaching the part list I had - they say it's about 3-4 months until delivery.

I haven't committed to anything yet, but I did ask a lot of questions. I also test-drove a 2 Door with the 2.0L engine and automatic transmission. Drove quite nicely!

There are so many creature-comforts that my TJ doesn't have - like bluetooth, power windows/locks, etc.

I'm going to do a deep-dive on my finances and see where I stand - I shouldn't have any problem with the payments, but it always helps to double-check. It's also a bit intimidating as it would be the first new car I've bought in my life.

I think their website said a little over $6k for the TJ in trade - but I don't have the back seat, that's in Ohio. And it needs the heater core replaced. Other than that, she runs just fine. I think I could get more selling it private party than using it as partial trade. What do you think I could get for it private party?

Anyway... Yeah, that's what's on my mind right now. lol

View attachment 387110
I love my JL 4 door diesel, but it just doesn't put the smile on my face that the my LJ does. I would try my best to have both if possible.

The TJ is a toy. always has been. in the 19 years i’ve owned mine. it’s been a DD to a toy, to a project back to a DD. now it’s a toy again.

i do not like my wife’s JK nearly as much as my TJ.

i also think a new jeepnis lot worth $60k.

The TJ is a toy. always has been. in the 19 years i’ve owned mine. it’s been a DD to a toy, to a project back to a DD. now it’s a toy again.

i do not like my wife’s JK nearly as much as my TJ.

i also think a new jeepnis lot worth $60k.

I had a 2012 JKU as a DD, traded in for my wife's Benz and bought the TJ. I did not like it as a DD. @CybrSlydr will make his own decision, but I would get a cheaper used 4WD to use and If he is no longer into the Rubi sell it.

Sure but he is fixing them before they are even sold,
A clutch needing to be replace on a Gladiator with Sixteen miles on it.
Rear axles seal that are leaking.
Not to mention the problems with the screens.
Diff locks not disengaging on the PPI drive.

Interesting the guys he works with in the shop at the dealership are buying mid 90's Cherokees to go off-roading.
Fix them up, off road them a bit then sell and buy another one.

Just sell the blame TJ, take the money and use it as a down payment on a new JL!!!!

See how hard that was :oops::oops:

I refrained from responding when this thread started because the choice is really about what someone likes. But since OP is still involved, my thought is, if you are seriously considering a new JL over a decent TJ, then that’s probably the right choice for you.

They are very different cars. I drove a rented JL a couple of weeks ago. It’s an objectively better road car in almost any way. This week my daughter (home for the holidays) asked me when we were taking the TJ to park to go for a run: “so… you daily this thing? Why?” The best answer I had was “because I like it”. If that‘s not your answer, get a JL, or a 4Runner or an X3…

Reactions: NDSpeed
I'm in Sheridan. Not far from you. Don't do it, man. (Well...do whatever you want) Yuppie scum are the only folk in WY I see in new Jeeps. They can foot the bill when things break. And they break. I know a few techs at the local big box Jeep dealer. They get overtime on the new models.

Do what makes you happy man. If you think a 60k 2 door jeep will be a good DD for you, then go for it. No way I could personally live with a 2 door jeep as my daily. Can't haul, can't fit passengers, still not great mileage, etc. Then you will undoubtedly want to add accessories to it, because Jeep, so tack on another $xx. Or buy a used car with 50k miles on it for your DD for less than 10k. Drive the doors off of it and keep your jeep for fun/weekends. I learned the hard way that big car payments suck ass. Took some maturing of my own to realize it's not worth it. New car smell is a nice thing though! Goos luck.

I guess I'm a road warrior - I drove my (first and last) YJ 387 miles from Phoenix to CA with no doors and a bikini top with a single fuel stop, at night. Only pissed blood for TWO days afterwards, LOL:
JeepA1.jpg