Well folks, I'm considering selling the TJ

CybrSlydr

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Pretty soon, my TJ will be paid off. Woo-hoo!

But she is a 2006 and isn't getting any younger. Parts are getting harder to find - like that heater core I still haven't bothered to get installed.

So, I went to a dealer today and talked to them about a 2023 2 Door Rubicon (in blue) that I optioned out on the website.

I'm attaching the part list I had - they say it's about 3-4 months until delivery.

I haven't committed to anything yet, but I did ask a lot of questions. I also test-drove a 2 Door with the 2.0L engine and automatic transmission. Drove quite nicely!

There are so many creature-comforts that my TJ doesn't have - like bluetooth, power windows/locks, etc.

I'm going to do a deep-dive on my finances and see where I stand - I shouldn't have any problem with the payments, but it always helps to double-check. It's also a bit intimidating as it would be the first new car I've bought in my life.

I think their website said a little over $6k for the TJ in trade - but I don't have the back seat, that's in Ohio. And it needs the heater core replaced. Other than that, she runs just fine. I think I could get more selling it private party than using it as partial trade. What do you think I could get for it private party?

Anyway... Yeah, that's what's on my mind right now. lol

20221226_115433.jpg

Reactions: ALAN TUCKER
personally, the thought of buying a new vehicle at this point makes me want to vomit. Between the cost, the electronics, the gubment & general state of humanity & on & on & on... new cars/trucks/vehicles, unless utterly necessary for livelihood, are below the bottom of the list of priorities.

But good luck with the purchase :ROFLMAO:

Keep the beautiful ruby you already own

personally, the thought of buying a new vehicle at this point makes me want to vomit. Between the cost, the electronics, the gubment & general state of humanity & on & on & on... new cars/trucks/vehicles, unless utterly necessary for livelihood, are below the bottom of the list of priorities.

But good luck with the purchase :ROFLMAO:

Keep the beautiful ruby you already own

Keeping the TJ wouldn't make much sense if I got a JL. Two Jeeps?

Reactions: ALAN TUCKER
When I read the forums for newer Jeeps there is no way I would consider one. Way too many serious problems could arise. I'm sure they are all not bad, but I read too many stories of people who still owe twelve grand and have a lemon on their hands.

I replied to a thread I created over on the JL forum a year ago or so to see what the word is on how these JLs are doing after a few years.

If it has no appreciable rust and 100-150,000 miles 12,000.00 - 15,000 to a private seller.

You will be 60k with taxes and doc fees and effectively buried for while If you only pay 6k (trade ) down, as far as value vs. amount owed.

Trade value works like this -

They only want to put so much in a trade, lets say 7500.00.

Theres is 60,000.00 but at this point its not been firmed up- (this happens for a reason)

You say you want 10,000.00

At this stage they have pulled your credit and established finance options -

They say “ if we give you 10,000.00 for yours,
will you trade right now?”

You get giddy and say yes.

Then they sit down with a sales contract that looks like this-

Ours, with yada yada yada $62,500.00

Your trade 10,000.00

Trade difference 52,500.00

This is x payments for x amount for x months, please sign here ___________________ .

Obsolescence of parts will become more prevalent in time, and we will adapt and scavenge for a long time.

Think hard, don’t let the knew car smell cloud your head.

not saying do not do it, it is your life....saying sleep on it, really think.

If it has no appreciable rust and 100-150,000 miles 12,000.00 - 15,000 to a private seller.

You will be 60k with taxes and doc fees and effectively buried for while If you only pay 6k (trade ) down, as far as value vs. amount owed.

Trade value works like this -

They only want to put so much in a trade, lets say 7500.00.

Theres is 60,000.00 but at this point its not been firmed up- (this happens for a reason)

You say you want 10,000.00

At this stage they have pulled your credit and established finance options -

They say “ if we give you 10,000.00 for yours,
will you trade right now?”

You get giddy and say yes.

Then they sit down with a sales contract that looks like this-

Ours, with yada yada yada $62,500.00

Your trade 10,000.00

Trade difference 52,500.00

This is x payments for x amount for x months, please sign here ___________________ .

Obsolescence of parts will become more prevalent in time, and we will adapt and scavenge for a long time.

Think hard, don’t let the knew car smell cloud your head.

not saying do not do it, it is your life....saying sleep on it, really think.

It's going to be a couple of months before I decide to do anything - probably not until late spring/early summer.

When I read the forums for newer Jeeps there is no way I would consider one. Way too many serious problems could arise. I'm sure they are all not bad, but I read too many stories of people who still owe twelve grand and have a lemon on their hands.

This was my experience. My wife had a 2014 JK sport for about 3 years. I do most of my own wrenching, but I do know when a job is above my skill level. I had to bring her jeep to a mechanic about twice a year for the 3 years we had it.

I spend a lot of time wrenching on my tj, too, but generally it is building it, not fixing it. And every fix that it needed, I was able to do myself.

Get a new jeep if you want it, and I hope you enjoy the hell outof it. But the JK we had was a damn nightmare.

I don't understand why so many buy a new Rubicon.
Who's going to push a $60K+ vehicle past the capabilities of a standard Jeep?

$55,000 Car Loan Calculator - DollarTimes​

https://www.dollartimes.com › car-loan › 55000

Rate3 Years (36 months)4 Years (48 months)5 Years (60 months)6 Years (72 months)
0.00%$1,527.78$1,145.83$916.67$763.89
0.05%$1,528.96$1,147.00$917.83$765.05
0.10%$1,530.13$1,148.17$919.00$766.21
Google says jeep financing is at 7% currently. Can you what a deal.....insert sarcasm.. I wait until mid next year after the America economy is completely destroyed by our brilliant government.

I would primarily recommend a TJ if you don’t need it as a daily driver. Obviously situations vary but as a weekend fun vehicle mine is not going anywhere. If I had to daily drive it something newer definitely makes much more sense. It amazed me how easy and car-like my brothers JL drove.

That said, I think dropping 50-60k on a new JL or any new vehicle is also insane especially with interest rates where they are. I would recommend a nice sensible and reliable econobox like a Civic to daily and keep the TJ for weekends. This would be a win-win in my opinion.

I have been daily driving my 99 TJ 2.5 every day for the last three weeks, and I can't believe how much I like this little guy. I'm really scared it's going to break though. I read the forums for the 2015's and some of those horror stories leave a pit in my stomach. My wife would lose it if the motor blew three months after the computer fried.

Reactions: John Cooper
I would primarily recommend a TJ if you don’t need it as a daily driver. Obviously situations vary but as a weekend fun vehicle mine is not going anywhere. If I had to daily drive it something newer definitely makes much more sense. It amazed me how easy and car-like my brothers JL drove.

That said, I think dropping 50-60k on a new JL or any new vehicle is also insane especially with interest rates where they are. I would recommend a nice sensible and reliable econobox like a Civic to daily and keep the TJ for weekends. This would be a win-win in my opinion.

This is the way to go. I have an XJ that I daily. It has creature comfort upgrades, a 1 inch lift, and 31s. It is way more comfortable to drive on road trips and is really car-like.

The TJ is for weekend cruising and offroading.