Well known vendor question (Savvy wait times)

I think most places call it backorders :)

I think he was trying to make a point about what Chris said about quadratec a few days ago:

I'll have you know that almost every single experience I've had with Quadratec (and it's been more than a handful of them) has been a bad one. To start with, I can't tell you how many times they've listed something as in-stock, only for me to order it, have them charge my card, and then get an email the next day saying that it's actually not in stock and on backorder.

I've had Savvy do this to me as well, just without the email letting me know it is on backorder. It is frustrating, but I like their parts so I wait for them. I do wish they would have a better system for letting you know when the order might ship, but I'm pretty time insensitive for most things so it doesn't bother me all that much.

I called and talked to Katie.. she said 4-6 weeks was her estimate. I've been waiting 4 weeks so far. She indicated their manufacturer was behind due to COVID.

I was hoping to get all my parts before I went wheeling again.

BTW - I'm in the same boat with Q-Tec.
I deal with their manufacturer. I like the stuff they do for me, that's it. They are not cheap, they are not fast, they are not in a hurry to do anything and that was before the virus stuff. They have another manufacturer that I also deal with who does similar stuff for them. They are not fast, they are not cheap, and THEY do not get in a hurry about a damn thing either.

One part I order has an 8-10 week lead time which is a real pain in my ass for 2 reasons. I have an remaining order quantity posted on the parts shelf. When it gets down to this amount, let me know and I will get the order in. Invariably 2 things happen. The packaging guy lets the stock on hand get too low and sales spike. Drives me batshit.

I think he was trying to make a point about what Chris said about quadratec a few days ago:

I've had Savvy do this to me as well, just without the email letting me know it is on backorder. It is frustrating, but I like their parts so I wait for them. I do wish they would have a better system for letting you know when the order might ship, but I'm pretty time insensitive for most things so it doesn't bother me all that much.

Fair enough. Though it seems savvy has a number in stock and a clear indicator that it can be (or will be) backordered - which sounds to be different than his Quadratec experience.

I think most places call it backorders :)
I don't back order. The only thing I do is let folks pre-order a scant few items that are not in stock but that is rare. If an item goes out of stock (which we work hard at not letting happen) we pull it off of the site or put it in unable to purchase status.

I'm in the cue for an oil pan skid. Just ordered yesterday, so we'll see how long it takes. I'm not in any hurry, so its OK, but yeah, after 7-8 weeks, I'd be pretty frustrated.

I don't back order. The only thing I do is let folks pre-order a scant few items that are not in stock but that is rare. If an item goes out of stock (which we work hard at not letting happen) we pull it off of the site or put it in unable to purchase status.

I see merits to both ways, as long as it’s a clearly set expectation. I’ve been checking TRE for a bit to get one of their snatch blocks that’s consistently sold out!

Fair enough. Though it seems savvy has a number in stock and a clear indicator that it can be (or will be) backordered - which sounds to be different than his Quadratec experience.

That indicator doesn't work most of the time. My rock sliders were not marked as back ordered when I clicked order. It took something like 10 weeks for them to show up. I don't think my card got charged until they were ready to ship which is nice.

This forum probably distorts how much business Savvy really does (at least in TJ products). When you are dealing with low volume products that take a lot of time to get manufactured by someone else, it can get difficult to get things shipped in a timely fashion. I understand why Savvy takes a while to get things shipped, but it really does feel like pulling on a slot machine when I hit order. The fact that they only sold 50 early UA's in 5 years shows that they aren't pumping a lot of volume through the TJ products.

I needed control arms quick one day. Called Savvy to see how long they would take to ship. They didn't pick up. So I ordered some Currie arms that showed up in under a week. If you want or need something fast, I'd probably just order from someone else.

That indicator doesn't work most of the time. My rock sliders were not marked as back ordered when I clicked order. It took something like 10 weeks for them to show up. I don't think my card got charged until they were ready to ship which is nice.

This forum probably distorts how much business Savvy really does (at least in TJ products). When you are dealing with low volume products that take a lot of time to get manufactured by someone else, it can get difficult to get things shipped in a timely fashion. I understand why Savvy takes a while to get things shipped, but it really does feel like pulling on a slot machine when I hit order. The fact that they only sold 50 early UA's in 5 years shows that they aren't pumping a lot of volume through the TJ products.

I needed control arms quick one day. Called Savvy to see how long they would take to ship. They didn't pick up. So I ordered some Currie arms that showed up in under a week. If you want or need something fast, I'd probably just order from someone else.
Don't let a low sales volume item distort your perceptions. They sell 200 cable shifters a month minimum. They build the gas tank skids 50 at a time and can't keep them in stock. Mid arm kits are ordered 50 at a time and they can't keep them in stock. That is 350 machined arms at a time. I don't know the build number for the U/A but I know they fly out the door at a rapid pace and I've had to wait for them several times.

What is missed is the shop will build the U/A and short them 1 part so the kits aren't complete and that just fucks everything up and this isn't a defense because the obvious is obvious but just a perspective and how shit goes.

What incident I recall was for the gas tank skids. All the parts got bent and welded up. Mounting flanges went out for plating. As soon as the flanges landed inside the plating shop, it got red tagged and shut down for a pollution violation and weren't allowed to re-open until the problem was resolved. That took some serious scrambling to solve because there was no one answering the phone so we could figure out what to do. There wasn't a heads up that the 2 week lead time was now indefinite so we didn't even know there was an issue until the parts were late.

Don't let a low sales volume item distort your perceptions. They sell 200 cable shifters a month minimum. They build the gas tank skids 50 at a time and can't keep them in stock. Mid arm kits are ordered 50 at a time and they can't keep them in stock. That is 350 machined arms at a time. I don't know the build number for the U/A but I know they fly out the door at a rapid pace and I've had to wait for them several times.

What is missed is the shop will build the U/A and short them 1 part so the kits aren't complete and that just fucks everything up and this isn't a defense because the obvious is obvious but just a perspective and how shit goes.

Interesting. That is a lot more business than I would have expected after hearing the early UA numbers. Wonder why that wasn't as popular. Savvy definitely is in a weird position when it comes to the size of the business combined with the parts they sell. Probably not large enough to consider investing in making the part themselves, but large enough to have bottlenecks with outsourcing (I'm just guessing at the numbers, could be off on that insight).

Their wait times are understandable, but it does suck.

Interesting. That is a lot more business than I would have expected after hearing the early UA numbers. Wonder why that wasn't as popular. Savvy definitely is in a weird position when it comes to the size of the business combined with the parts they sell. Probably not large enough to consider investing in making the part themselves, but large enough to have bottlenecks with outsourcing (I'm just guessing at the numbers, could be off on that insight).

Their wait times are understandable, but it does suck.
The early UA was a very low volume product part of which was due to the lack of one for the early 32RH which did not share a single part with the rest of the UA products except common parts to make it. It is a very poor metric.

I outsource just about all of my parts. I am continually astounded at how one small part that I've been able to lay hands on for years all of a sudden is impossible to get. That and my lead times at the casting foundry are all over the map. They have historically ranged from 2 weeks to 15 weeks. There is no way to plan around that. I use 8-10 weeks as an average and that still bites me from time to time.

For those who do sell stuff, I often wonder if they encounter the same as we do. I've had several instances of two things happening simultaneously that kick my ass every time. Historic sales predicts a build quantity and it is fairly accurate. Historic lead times on parts is fairly accurate. What gets us is we will get a serious sales spike right near the end of the number of parts on the shelf along with an abnormal lead time to replace some aspect of them.

Doesn't sound terrible until you figure out we have very limited space. Right now we have calipers stacked completely full on the shelf and then in front of the shelf which makes the area hard to navigate so we can't just order extra. There are days when I just want to throw rocks at folks.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
So are you saying that they are selling parts that they don't have in stock? :ROFLMAO:

Haha, yep. My understanding is they wait until they hit a certain number of orders, then do a new batch of whatever product it is.

Savvy can get away with this since they aren't reselling cheap Chinese shit like Quadratec is. In my book at least.

I agree, if it weren't for the fact that I like Savvy parts, I'd be pissed off about it.

I also understand it more when the products come from a small, mom and pop style shop.

In my past I’ve been quoted castings over a year out, simple bent parts 6 months.

I couldn’t imagine dealing with the Covid excuses now.

Even Amazon is having issues. Did one of those Amazon delivery day things for yesterday. Everything was out for delivery and I got nothing. I’m not even sure I’ll get the stuff today.

Reactions: Starrs
I agree, if it weren't for the fact that I like Savvy parts, I'd be pissed off about it.

Getting F-ed by a friend or getting F-ed by a stranger. The way I see it, you're still getting F-ed.

I get it. Some good things are worth the wait. I'm waiting on a custom flag I ordered on Amazon. It's been over a month now (wait time was supposed to be a few weeks) and the tracking info that stopped at 'it's shipped' isn't even available anymore let alone updated. Seller isn't responding to the four inquires I've sent out over the past three weeks. Amazon tells me to put in a claim...or don't. They don't care much either way. I'm going to wait a little longer. Fuck them both for treating me like a tool. But it's what I get for spreading my cheeks.

Reactions: Chris
Getting F-ed by a friend or getting F-ed by a stranger. The way I see it, you're still getting F-ed.

I get it. Some good things are worth the wait. I'm waiting on a custom flag I ordered on Amazon. It's been over a month now (wait time was supposed to be a few weeks) and the tracking info that stopped at 'it's shipped' isn't even available anymore let alone updated. Seller isn't responding to the four inquires I've sent out over the past three weeks. Amazon tells me to put in a claim...or don't. They don't care much either way. I'm going to wait a little longer. Fuck them both for treating me like a tool. But it's what I get for spreading my cheeks.
I'm not sure you understand the definition of fucked that and you're a pussy for not typing it out.

I definitely think it's worth waiting for something good, yes.

Savvy is hit and miss. The longest I've ever had to wait for anything from them is about 4 weeks. I've heard of some longer wait times, but anytime I buy from Savvy I go into the purchase assuming I'm going to be waiting a month or so at least.