Well, that was not how I wanted my Friday evening to go... nor my first post to this forum.

Spaztrick

So, I'm driving home from work in a left turn-only lane that has nobody in it for the last 75 yards up to the intersection with a green light,( in the left lane of 4 going eastbound. The 3rd lane, one to my right, is a left turn/forward lane that has traffic backed up from the light) and a Ford Fusion decides she wants to get in my lane from lane 3 because her lane was full of folks trying to go straight and my lane was clear (aside from me, of course). She changes lanes from a virtual dead stop (cranks it hard left to get around the car in front of her) just as I am overtaking her and I drive right up her front fender and over her tire, rolling my Jeep 1 3/4 revolutions. Thank GOD for roll bars and seat belts. 20180727_173455-2.jpg 20180727_173501.jpg 20180727_173531.jpg 20180727_173950.jpg 20180727_174002.jpg 20180727_174506.jpg 20180727_190833.jpg 20180727_192719.jpg 20180727_192734.jpg

So, what are the chances that this rig is salvageable? Any experience with this type of scenario is appreciated.
2005 TJ Sport did not deserve this action!!

P.S. I went to the ER and was cleared to go home 3 hours later, after CT scan and multiple X-rays. My worst complaint right now, other than my poor TJ, is my upper right thigh. I think I bruised the bone. Friction burn on the left shin from the seat belt and mystery marks on my forehead that look way worse than they are. I actually had the seatbelt below my knees when I finally stopped and I crawled out of the wreck behind the roll bars from the back seat.

Glad you came out OK. Most people drive like idiots these days. I hope you heal up without complications.

I'll let the other knowledgeable folks comment on the Jeep. I hope your insurance fully covers the damage on the vehicle!

Reactions: Bert and Spaztrick
Wow...Glad you're ok. Looks like a minor roll-over to me...didn't even break the windshield. Problem is that the Newest TJ is already 12 years old and the book values are down. Doesn't take much body work to get up to totaled status. You might be able to buy it back from Insurance Co though, and fix it yourself.

Happy to hear your going to recover from this. As far as the Jeep. You’ll have to wait until the insurance company contacts you about the estimates.

Reactions: Spaztrick
Ouch! Glad you were buckled! Could've been so much worse. As for whether or not it's salvageable, I'll bet it is. Unless the frame is bent (which even that can be dealt with), or the cowl is tweaked (which you'll be able to figure out when it's back on its tires), then I'd be spending some insurance money on some upgrades, for sure. With Jeeps, I discovered that anything can be justified! ;)
You definitely need to keep us updated on this, please. Would love to know the outcome. Again, glad you're doing okay after that.

Last edited:
Man, I'm glad you ok!!! That could have been much worse.
The insurance will probably want to total it. Start collecting ads for similar TJ's to present to her insurance company if they do. The closer to yours the better. Don't accept their lowball offer.

Sorry about your rig, but glad you are mostly OK. Get well soon! People can really suck sometimes, that is for sure.

Okay, well now that we know you're okay (thank goodness you are), we can laugh at this situation. I say that because if I would have seen this happen in person, I probably might have laughed, only because it would look like some Duke's of Hazard type stunt!

Do you know who's fault it's going to be for the insurance claim?

From looking at the photo, I would say it won't be totaled. You'll probably need body work done to the tub, but I'm guessing the frame isn't damaged. Of course I can't say with any certainty, but I know there's been stories on here of guys who have rolled their TJ down a hill and gone on to repair it fairly easily.

Thank goodness for the seatbelt and the roll bar!

So, I'm driving home from work in a left turn-only lane that has nobody in it for the last 75 yards up to the intersection with a green light,( in the left lane of 4 going eastbound. The 3rd lane, one to my right, is a left turn/forward lane that has traffic backed up from the light) and a Ford Fusion decides she wants to get in my lane from lane 3 because her lane was full of folks trying to go straight and my lane was clear (aside from me, of course). She changes lanes from a virtual dead stop (cranks it hard left to get around the car in front of her) just as I am overtaking her and I drive right up her front fender and over her tire, rolling my Jeep 1 3/4 revolutions. Thank GOD for roll bars and seat belts.View attachment 49069 View attachment 49070 View attachment 49071 View attachment 49072 View attachment 49074 View attachment 49075 View attachment 49076 View attachment 49077 View attachment 49078

So, what are the chances that this rig is salvageable? Any experience with this type of scenario is appreciated.
2005 TJ Sport did not deserve this action!!

P.S. I went to the ER and was cleared to go home 3 hours later, after CT scan and multiple X-rays. My worst complaint right now, other than my poor TJ, is my upper right thigh. I think I bruised the bone. Friction burn on the left shin from the seat belt and mystery marks on my forehead that look way worse than they are. I actually had the seatbelt below my knees when I finally stopped and I crawled out of the wreck behind the roll bars from the back seat.

Holy cow...glad you are well enough to post...man, that sucks she pulled out like that. Jeep is probably totalled and maybe you can buy it back from the insurance company while collecting loot from her insurance company.

Take it easy and make sure her insurance covers your current and future medical bills. You probably need to lawyer up for this one, hate to say it, but you may need one in case your injuries do not fully heal down the road.

Reactions: Spaztrick and Daryl
Wow!!! Talk about a close call for a far worse scenario! Glad your up and around. I’ll second doubt it’ll be totaled. I would think mostly body work from the looks of it. Hopefully everything mechanical checks out ok on the major side shy of lights and things

Keep us all posted and recover quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi