Were factory leather seats ever offered in the TJ?

vinyl seat.jpg

My 03' sport came with vinyl seats, not the fake leather. SO easy to clean.

Genuine leather from Jeep in a TJ?
Never.
Cloth, yes
Vinyl, yes
Leather, no

I believe real leather hit the "real Jeeps" (CJ, Willys, Wrangler yj, tj, jk, jl, jt )
Around 2014 or 2015 as an option in a Rubicon and Sahara.

Definitely never before a JK

Different colour but yours appears to have the same stitch pattern as the rear seat from my TJ RME, also an '03 (post #25) and agree, easy to clean. Is that grey and were the front seats the same? I don't think I've seen that.
They were a tan color and the front seats matched. The Jeep was khaki colored. These were the exact seats I had. The seller thought they were leather too.
Skip to 1:12.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ and PCO6
Genuine leather from Jeep in a TJ?
Never.
Cloth, yes
Vinyl, yes
Leather, no

I believe real leather hit the "real Jeeps" (CJ, Willys, Wrangler yj, tj, jk, jl, jt )
Around 2014 or 2015 as an option in a Rubicon and Sahara.

Definitely never before a JK

Real Jeep, real leather ... and really nice. My '89 XJ Limited. :) Otherwise, I agree.

user29786_pic83228_1526864647.jpg

I'd have leather in my TJ in a heartbeat. Good quality leather is tough, holds up to sun exosure, breathes well, and is durable. After all, think about what buckboard wagon seats, shoes, boots, jackets, and saddles are made from. I've been seriously thinking about having my PRP suspension seats reupholstered in saddle tan leather.

I always wanted to know what my Jeep looked like with the stock seats!
I’ve got a silver apex, but the PO swapped the ultrahyde out for vinyl/cloth stockers.

And they do look kinda nice!
Which ones? Agate 01-02 oem seats had a cool little design to them.

Last edited:
View attachment 198176View attachment 198177

Like this. They’re ok. Though I’ve thought about replacing them. They’re not very comfy for long trips.
Those have definitely been upholstered. Like @PCO6 said, very similar to the XJ. I like them!

I think it really depends on the seat. My Sahara seats are comfortable, but I could sink into the Apex seats over long distances.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Real Jeep, real leather ... and really nice. My '89 XJ Limited. :) Otherwise, I agree.

View attachment 198165
If that offends you...well...you're certainly welcome to fight for the Liberty, Patriot, and Compass too...
No thx

I've owned several cherokees, Grand Wagoneers (the FSJ version not the 93 woody G.C. called Grand Wagoner) etc and they were fine motor cars...
And nobody loved AMC more than I ...
While those were made by the brand Jeep...

The masses around the world hear Jeep and I can promise you most aren't thinking about Cherokee's, Comanche's FSJ's i.e. J trucks, Wagoneers, Cherokee Chief's and sure the hell aren't thinking Compass/Patriot and Liberty

They think of a Willy's, CJ, Wrangler

To each their own brotha

I'm not sure what part of to each their own you didn't understand

If you go back to my response to your original post you'll see that I actually agreed with it in so far as TJ seats go. Maybe you missed the smiley face. Somehow you thought I was offended. Anyway, thanks for filling us in on real Jeeps.