Westtown Willy's 2004 Jeep Wrangler X

Love this build, you're really optimizing it for your uses. Though I would have left off the jugs on the OEM bumpers!

Love this build, you're really optimizing it for your uses. Though I would have left off the jugs on the OEM bumpers!
Thanks, and you're right about that, it's pretty much spot on for what we do with it.

And I hear you about the jugs, I go back & forth on those. They may come off again in exchange for flat caps at some point but for now I’m enjoying the straight up stock deal.

I’ve always liked stock bumpers, rear has been stock since I’ve owned it & I never had any inkling to 'upgrade' it. If it came with a stock on the front I may have never changed that either, though I would’ve put a winch plate on for sure during that phase.

The story on the front I have now started with this decent old one I picked up for $60:

IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_7491.JPG
IMG_7492.JPG

It had everything but the hooks. It was bent inward a decent bit & also had a good bit of rust on the inside around the frame bolt holes so I spent a good few weeks slowly rehabbing it. The first thing I did was remove the jugs which was interesting, the screws were corroded to the nutserts so they were not coming out without brute force. I stood on top of it & whacked the inside end of each cap with a 12lb sledge hammer until I finally ripped the plastic apart enough that the jugs shot out the ends. In that process I blasted one of the metal spacers tucked underneath at the bolt hole right off. I didn't even know what it was, I think I heard it bounce off something.

After getting the jugs out I used a scissor jack to spread the bumper back to it’s proper height which in turn caused the end to flare up so I whacked it some more on the end with the sledge hammer with the jack still in as a chock to flatten that part out straight. After I was satisfied that it was back to its original shape I soaked the rusted parts in rust reforming gel, this was in the middle of the winter so it was pretty cold so I left that stuff on there for about a week before washing it off. Did some intermittent grinding and wire wheeling, more gel… after I rid the entire thing of rust I then JB Welded the bolt spacer back in then primed/painted the entire bumper, then bolted the big rubber bumper extenders on.

Then it, along with the pristine rear I found to replace my trashed one, sat in the family room for a few months until I decided to pull the trigger on all these changes

IMG_7715.jpg

That left the mutilated jugs. I almost bought a pair of new ones, they’re pretty cheap at around $15 each, but then I figured they may not be on very long so I decided to fix the old ones. I used the same technique I used on my beat up half door interior panel job above, that being, JB welded some drywall mesh to the affected areas, let dry, then used that as a backer to overlay the entire thing with a thick layer of JB Plastic Weld putty. After it was all dry I shoved the jugs in, drilled new holes in the plastic weld & screwed them down with some leftover black screws from the giant bag of hardware that came with the flares I just installed. So after all that bullshit there’s a point of pride in those silly looking jugs, they may be out by next week but they may still be in there 5 years from now :LOL:

The de-blingification of the rig continues. Years ago when I upgraded my diff covers I decided on ARB, wanted black but for some reason they only made one of my covers in black, I think it was the Dana 30, the Dana 35 only came in red. So rather than having mismatched covers I bought both of them in red. They weren't bad as they matched my TJ's color but with everything else on it being black it's been another one of those slow burn things that has gnawed at me for years. So today was the day to correct that which would also address the dings & dents I laid upon them. The front was due for a fluid change anyway along with a Lube Locker swap in up there, I did the rear Lube Locker last summer.

The front was pretty nasty, one of the bolts had been grinded to the point the allen wrench wouldn't fit in, had to grind out the opening with the dremel then bash the socket in with a hammer, but it worked... it's the one on the lower left:

IMG_8433.JPG
IMG_8434.JPG

after cleaning out the inside I scuffed it all up with 150 sandpaper:

IMG_8435.jpg
IMG_8436.jpg

hosed it down with straight simple green & let it soak for a while

IMG_8438.jpg

then scrubbed the piss out of it with soapy water

IMG_8439.jpg

I wanted to maintain the brushed steel logo so I put a very thin layer of petroleum jelly on it to make it easier to remove the paint afterwards

IMG_8440.JPG

few coats of primer

IMG_8441.JPG

few coats of standard TJ black satin

IMG_8442.JPG

the day warmed up pretty good so these began sliding down a little after noon

IMG_8447.JPG

after 3 coats of paint & some dry time I scrapped off the paint from the logo, the vaseline worked like a charm, though there was a few spots where the primer was stubborn so a few q-tips with acetone & it all came off

IMG_8449.jpg
IMG_8450.jpg
IMG_8451.jpg

stopped by Quadratec & picked this up for the 30, I called them this morning & fortunately they had them in stock:

IMG_8453.JPG

after bolting them back on I added some fresh conventional gear oil, sitting in the driveway to get nice & fluid, beats the crap out of trying to do this in the winter

IMG_8454.JPG

and the final product, looks a ton better than the red:

IMG_8459.JPG
IMG_8460.JPG
IMG_8461.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8463.JPG
IMG_8464.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG

first time in years I've had the Dana 30 off to inspect, the ARB, ring, pinion & everything else looked great:

IMG_8456.JPG

Last edited:
some minor cosmetic updates over the past couple months, first up I put the back seat in for the first time, now that I'm on the street more I need more passenger capacity:

IMG_8805.JPG
IMG_8806.JPG
IMG_8832.JPG

Next up was to ditch the exterior mounted mirrors in exchange for OEM. I've used these for years with my cloth half doors as they have no mirror mount so these were necessary. They served me very well, but the wind/whistling they created was starting to work my nerves a bit too much so off they came

IMG_9090.JPG

picked these up from Dan the TJ man for $40

IMG_9094.JPG
IMG_9095.JPG
IMG_9096.JPG

I'd like to remove the brackets for the other mirrors but if for some reason I want to slap the cloth halfies back on I'll still need them. Not sure that's ever gonna happen but we'll see:

IMG_9099.JPG

Finally, this project has been looming for many years, sort of a 'when there's nothing else to do & I'm bored project' but a project nonetheless:

IMG_9140.JPG

Once I confirmed that the crew wasn't hungover the day my TJ was painted it was a free for all to get this ugly crap off as fast as possible, scissors & a box cutter were very helpful, plus a pair of channel locks to yank the stubborn plastic push pins out that they used to mount the stiff foam padding

IMG_9141.JPG
IMG_9187.PNG

this is about as clean as she can get, though I will make the move to an AT & away from the MTs when these wear out a good bit more

IMG_9174.JPG

the sled

IMG_9205.JPG

some minor cosmetic updates over the past couple months, first up I put the back seat in for the first time, now that I'm on the street more I need more passenger capacity:

View attachment 267731View attachment 267732View attachment 267733

Next up was to ditch the exterior mounted mirrors in exchange for OEM. I've used these for years with my cloth half doors as they have no mirror mount so these were necessary. They served me very well, but the wind/whistling they created was starting to work my nerves a bit too much so off they came

View attachment 267734

picked these up from Dan the TJ man for $40

View attachment 267735View attachment 267736View attachment 267737

I'd like to remove the brackets for the other mirrors but if for some reason I want to slap the cloth halfies back on I'll still need them. Not sure that's ever gonna happen but we'll see:

View attachment 267738

Finally, this project has been looming for many years, sort of a 'when there's nothing else to do & I'm bored project' but a project nonetheless:

View attachment 267739

Once I confirmed that the crew wasn't hungover the day my TJ was painted it was a free for all to get this ugly crap off as fast as possible, scissors & a box cutter were very helpful, plus a pair of channel locks to yank the stubborn plastic push pins out that they used to mount the stiff foam padding

View attachment 267740View attachment 267741

this is about as clean as she can get, though I will make the move to an AT & away from the MTs when these wear out a good bit more

View attachment 267742

the sled

View attachment 267743
I vote for going back to chrome headlight bezels

Love what you're doing here! (y)
thanks man, that holds some significance given what you're doing over there, probably the most interesting build on this board.

I vote for going back to chrome headlight bezels

I don't know man, chrome goes against every impulse I have :geek:.

I think my aversion to it dates back to my first car, my mom's hand-me-down 72 Nova with massive chrome bumpers AND giant chrome & rubber bumper guards my dad bolted on for my mom because, well, you know...

The car was shit brown with a black vinyl roof & those gleaming bumpers with the additional chrome trim around the windows... I really think the whole thing scarred me for life. That said I'd kill to have it back, even with the bumpers.

57 Chevy, yea, chrome all day long

Reactions: Irun
recent update, added a book of faces set of uppers to my existing refurbished half doors, all in at $250 for the doors & uppers plus the cost of paint & JB Weld products for the rehab at around another hundy.

Door count: full steel, half steel with soft uppers, soft halfs.

One Jeep, 3 sets of doors, anyone have the latest edition of the DSM that can tell me if they've updated the diagnosis code for this sorta thing?

IMG_0693.jpg

Just want to say that I really enjoyed reading your build thread. I recently joined the forum after perusing it for many months. I like your 'back to stock' TJ and think it looks great. Hope to buy a TJ sometime later this year and plan to take a lot of inspiration from your thread.

And not sure if they have an updated DSM diagnosis code for the doors vs. Jeep ratio...but it seems like multiple folks on here might have the same condition! :ROFLMAO:

Just want to say that I really enjoyed reading your build thread. I recently joined the forum after perusing it for many months. I like your 'back to stock' TJ and think it looks great. Hope to buy a TJ sometime later this year and plan to take a lot of inspiration from your thread.

And not sure if they have an updated DSM diagnosis code for the doors vs. Jeep ratio...but it seems like multiple folks on here might have the same condition! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, and good luck in your search. In hindsight I see it may not matter all that much where you begin, stock, built, something in between, because chances are good you'll make a lot of changes, then more, then more still, & you may just end up where you began. I've enjoyed every version of my TJ, testament to the fact that they are very adaptable vehicles, really the biggest box of Legos money can buy.

The only unsolicited advice I can offer is to make every effort to begin with a solid foundation, good frame, no major body damage, smooth running 6, from there anything is possible.

Hi, nice thread. Love your build.

Do you still have factory control arms? how does it handle with the lift and factory control arms?

Hi, nice thread. Love your build.

Do you still have factory control arms? how does it handle with the lift and factory control arms?

thanks, and for the most part yes, I have factory upper & lower control arms up front and factory lowers in the rear. I swapped in adjustables in the rear uppers to tweak the pinion angle after the SYE was installed.

It handles and drives beautifully with the setup as described throughout the thread.

It's funny, I skimmed through the thread & realized I haven't made any mechanical changes since dropping an inch off the height 3 years ago, by far the longest I've owned it without doing anything significant. Since then it's been some small cosmetic changes.

thanks, and for the most part yes, I have factory upper & lower control arms up front and factory lowers in the rear. I swapped in adjustables in the rear uppers to tweak the pinion angle after the SYE was installed.

It handles and drives beautifully with the setup as described throughout the thread.

It's funny, I skimmed through the thread & realized I haven't made any mechanical changes since dropping an inch off the height 3 years ago, by far the longest I've owned it without doing anything significant. Since then it's been some small cosmetic changes.

Nice, thanks for the answer.

That just means that your happy with your build and there's no need to change anything so thats great.

I´ll look foward to see whats next for your TJ

That just means that your happy with your build and there's no need to change anything so thats great.
you are right, there's something I noticed when I first got it that lasted for years, which is also displayed by countless members here, the pursuit of nearly constant evolution. Some never arrive at the final endgame, a TJ they're content with, there's always something in the cart or on the wish list. That can be really fun, & there's no rule that says it ever has to be 'done'. But it can also be exhausting, and expensive.

I´ll look foward to see whats next for your TJ

when I look at it & drive it my thoughts are that it's perfect the way it is, but I've owned this thing long enough to realize I may just be in a lull & the itch to make changes may return. Best prediction is that if I do anything it'll be a continuation of what I've been doing on the journey towards stock, that would include a further drop in lift height to stock & a downsize of the tires from 33 to 31s. While 31s weren't stock on the X model they were on the Rubicon so it's not a size that wasn't at least offered in 2004.

At least once a week on my way to work a guy in a bone stock Ruby passes me on the road, I usually speed up for a few minutes to keep up with him just to admire that rig in motion, like mine when I look at that one it looks perfect in its proportions. I like the lower height & the way the tires are perfectly flush with the flares, it's just a beautiful design. Making this change would also have practical benefits as it would be a significant reduction in height which would really help me getting in and out of it, I'm only 5'7" and shrinking :LOL: as I push towards old man status. My girlfriend is shorter and also, umm, let's just say post-young.

you are right, there's something I noticed when I first got it that lasted for years, which is also displayed by countless members here, the pursuit of nearly constant evolution. Some never arrive at the final endgame, a TJ they're content with, there's always something in the cart or on the wish list. That can be really fun, & there's no rule that says it ever has to be 'done'. But it can also be exhausting, and expensive.

when I look at it & drive it my thoughts are that it's perfect the way it is, but I've owned this thing long enough to realize I may just be in a lull & the itch to make changes may return. Best prediction is that if I do anything it'll be a continuation of what I've been doing on the journey towards stock, that would include a further drop in lift height to stock & a downsize of the tires from 33 to 31s. While 31s weren't stock on the X model they were on the Rubicon so it's not a size that wasn't at least offered in 2004.

At least once a week on my way to work a guy in a bone stock Ruby passes me on the road, I usually speed up for a few minutes to keep up with him just to admire that rig in motion, like mine when I look at that one it looks perfect in its proportions. I like the lower height & the way the tires are perfectly flush with the flares, it's just a beautiful design. Making this change would also have practical benefits as it would be a significant reduction in height which would really help me getting in and out of it, I'm only 5'7" and shrinking :LOL: as I push towards old man status. My girlfriend is shorter and also, umm, let's just say post-young.

While I do like a well built Jeep, there is something different about a stock Jeep, especially a TJ, on 31's. They just look right. Also, they perform far better than most realize off road. In the end, what matters is what you want it to be. Personally, I think that is the real beauty of a Jeep, they are probably the most versatile vehicle canvas. One that can be whatever the owner wants and can afford.

I gotta tell you, this has been one of my favorite build threads to read through. I think because I resonated with it so much being someone who is also bringing a Jeep back to stock. Anyway, really enjoyed it! I’m making progress on mine, it goes to the shop for lift removal and a couple other odds and ends on the 31st. Wheels and rims went on a few weeks ago and really got me pumped to keep going. Thanks for sharing!

In June of 1776 a 33-year-old Virginia Delegate by the name of Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence in a private home on Market Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; it would be adopted by vote on July 4, 1776, inside the Pennsylvania State House, widely known as Independence Hall, built in 1753, located on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, a couple blocks from where it was written. The Declaration was formally signed by 56 delegates on various dates then and thereafter, primarily August 2, 1776, each act an act of high treason against the Crown but all critical steps in the cascade of events that would profoundly change the course of humanity for evermore. Eleven years later this venerable structure would again host the greatest collection of political philosophers/revolutionaries ever assembled to draft what would later be adopted as the United States Constitution. The beacon of freedom that is Independence Hall has flickered many times over the centuries since, yet it stands as beautiful and awe inspiring as ever in my eyes, being in its presence is a remarkable experience - WW

In the Declaration of Independence TJ concluded:

“We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.” Thomas Jefferson

It would do all Americans good to remember our history, and not allow it to slip away, or worse, willingly give it away.

Independence Hall.jpg

IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg

For those of you that have never been to old city Philly where much of the sacred real estate is, in my opinion the most sacred on the planet, it’s an extremely beautiful & vibrant area that’s usually packed with tourists and residents alike (these photos were taken at around 6am on a Sunday). It's like walking back in time, to the most important time in our country's history in my view, this is where the foundation was laid, this is where, among so, so many other things, the anti-federalists stood strong to preserve states rights and individual rights as they were all too aware what an omnipotent force an unencumbered federal government would be, and history has proven them so right!

In June of 1776 a 33-year-old Virginia Delegate by the name of Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence in a private home on Market Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; it would be adopted by vote on July 4, 1776, inside the Pennsylvania State House, widely known as Independence Hall, built in 1753, located on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia, a couple blocks from where it was written. The Declaration was formally signed by 56 delegates on various dates then and thereafter, primarily August 2, 1776, each act an act of high treason against the Crown but all critical steps in the cascade of events that would profoundly change the course of humanity for evermore. Eleven years later this venerable structure would again host the greatest collection of political philosophers/revolutionaries ever assembled to draft what would later be adopted as the United States Constitution. The beacon of freedom that is Independence Hall has flickered many times over the centuries since, yet it stands as beautiful and awe inspiring as ever in my eyes, being in its presence is a remarkable experience - WW

In the Declaration of Independence TJ concluded:

“We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.” Thomas Jefferson

It would do all Americans good to remember our history, and not allow it to slip away, or worse, willingly give it away.

View attachment 446203

View attachment 446204

View attachment 446205

For those of you that have never been to old city Philly where much of the sacred real estate is, in my opinion the most sacred on the planet, it’s an extremely beautiful & vibrant area that’s usually packed with tourists and residents alike (these photos were taken at around 6am on a Sunday). It's like walking back in time, to the most important time in our country's history in my view, this is where the foundation was laid, this is where, among so, so many other things, the anti-federalists stood strong to preserve states rights and individual rights as they were all too aware what an omnipotent force an unencumbered federal government would be, and history has proven them so right!

I need to go visit there. Great pictures.

Reactions: Squatch