Wet Weather Traction

scooter trash

I searched for a long time to find a really nice TJ for my wife to have a toy. I was not aware that it did not have ABS. It can be dangerous to drive in the rain when braking. I have been driving it myself and had to make a panic stop. It will slide forever if the brakes lock up. The same has happened to my wife and now she is scared of it. This Jeep will see VERY LITTLE use as a real Jeep. I'm assuming others have experienced the same thing. Is it reasonable that there is a tire available that would improve this characteristic? We currently have Michelin LTX MS tires that are nearly new.

Reactions: TJ.X.05
I searched for a long time to find a really nice TJ for my wife to have a toy. I was not aware that it did not have ABS. It can be dangerous to drive in the rain when braking. I have been driving it myself and had to make a panic stop. It will slide forever if the brakes lock up. The same has happened to my wife and now she is scared of it. This Jeep will see VERY LITTLE use as a real Jeep. I'm assuming others have experienced the same thing. Is it reasonable that there is a tire available that would improve this characteristic? We currently have Michelin LTX MS tires that are nearly new.
Good for you on getting your wife a nice toy. I'm a little curious as to how you bought a vehicle without investigating whether it had ABS or not, though. Or investigating it's handling characteristics in the conditions you are going to operate it in. TJ's aren't known for their exemplary, sports car like handling characteristics. Oh well, that's now water under the bridge, right?

Since you are currently sliding the tires on wet pavement with the stock brake setup, locking the brakes up, the only solution is a stickier street tire and modifying her driving behavior. The best braking you will ever see is a stock sized winter rated street tire. Be aware that it will still hydroplane under the right circumstances. Any vehicle will, ABS or not. It's unfortunate that your wife is now scared of the TJ, they are fun toys. They are not a Volvo though. Good luck in addressing this issue. You may find that this issue is inherent to the design though, and may want to contemplate replacing it with a different sporty toy for your wife.

As a side note, my spousal unit drives a 2012 JKU on 33's and does just fine, on and off road. It's been known to rain on the wet side of the PNW once in awhile.

Reactions: TJ4Jim and Tob
Good for you on getting your wife a nice toy. I'm a little curious as to how you bought a vehicle without investigating whether it had ABS or not, though. Or investigating it's handling characteristics in the conditions you are going to operate it in. TJ's aren't known for their exemplary, sports car like handling characteristics. Oh well, that's now water under the bridge, right?

Since you are currently sliding the tires on wet pavement with the stock brake setup, locking the brakes up, the only solution is a stickier street tire and modifying her driving behavior. The best braking you will ever see is a stock sized winter rated street tire. Be aware that it will still hydroplane under the right circumstances. Any vehicle will, ABS or not. It's unfortunate that your wife is now scared of the TJ, they are fun toys. They are not a Volvo though. Good luck in addressing this issue. You may find that this issue is inherent to the design though, and may want to contemplate replacing it with a different sporty toy for your wife.

As a side note, my spousal unit drives a 2012 JKU on 33's and does just fine, on and off road. It's been known to rain on the wet side of the PNW once in awhile.

I do agree with you. I myself have had CJ's over the years so I didn't go in blind. I typically eased around in them, compared to the TJ. It is much more car-like. My problem was assuming that Wranglers had evolved a little more than they have. We just have to chill out and drive it like a Jeep! I plan to work on her driving habits and probably go a different route on the tires. I darn sure don't want to part with it. Thanks for the input.

I do agree with you. I myself have had CJ's over the years so I didn't go in blind. I typically eased around in them, compared to the TJ. It is much more car-like. My problem was assuming that Wranglers had evolved a little more than they have. We just have to chill out and drive it like a Jeep! I plan to work on her driving habits and probably go a different route on the tires. I darn sure don't want to part with it. Thanks for the input.
Thank you. I was hoping that a little blunt talk wouldn't offend you.
Since you have experience with CJ's, here's the deal. The TJ's are a better in some ways, more refined rig. But it's all relative, right?

The wife and I run slightly oversized AT tires on both of our Wranglers. Hers has ABS since it's a JKU. It also has a ton of other nanny features that keep it from getting too squirrely on the road. The longer wheelbase helps as well. But I digress.

It's very possible to get reasonable braking performance out of a TJ in the rain. Your stopping distances will never equal even a run of the mill street car, but then a TJ isn't a street car.

The cheapest route to go is a set of stickier street tires with an all season tread design. They'll look a little funny on a TJ, because no one is used to seeing them, but they might work.

For something more aggressive and typical you might try out a set of AT tires like the KO2's in 31x10.50R15, or a set of General Grabbers in the same size. Both of those tires work well in the rain on pavement. They also look appropriate on a TJ. Then browse out to Wizard Brakes and purchase a set of Black Magic brake rebuild kits for the front and the rear. Not the upgrades, the stock full meal deal kits. The upgrades would be overkill and cause more problems than they would be worth. That combination is about as good as it gets for a stock setup driven on the street. Stomping on the brakes won't put you through the windshield, but it will impress the snot out of you after driving a stock TJ. Hope that helps. If you have more questions, we've got a lot of opinions around here!

Last edited:
Look to passenger car tires. There are plenty with great rain treads and good mileage warranties. But brake "upgrades" will not help with skidding in the rain.

Doh, I just did the same thing!
Bought a 2004 Rubicon for my 17 yr old daughter, made sure it had airbags and just assumed it had ABS!
Everything else I have owned (mostly european going back to '97) has had ABS and Airbags.

Scott

Doh, I just did the same thing!
Bought a 2004 Rubicon for my 17 yr old daughter, made sure it had airbags and just assumed it had ABS!
Everything else I have owned (mostly european going back to '97) has had ABS and Airbags.

Scott
Did the same thing when I bought mine...just assumed a 2005 would have ABS. Would not have changed my purchasing decision, as It is a 4th car that won't be driven in bad conditions. I was still very surprised they all did not come with it back then.

What tire pressure are they at? The higher the pressure, the more they will grip.

What size are your current nearly new Michelin LTX MS tires? The wider and taller, the less they will grip.

How old are those nearly new Michelin LTX MS tires? The older they are, the less they will grip.

Also, since you're in GA. you shouldn't need all season tires unless you look for, and find, snow to drive in.

Edited: Added the bold due to @Jerry Bransford making me realize my mistake of cutting and pasting but not proof reading while on my phone.

Last edited:
Did the same thing when I bought mine...just assumed a 2005 would have ABS. Would not have changed my purchasing decision, as It is a 4th car that won't be driven in bad conditions. I was still very surprised they all did not come with it back then.
Yep, some of us like that lack of technology. My only complaint about the TJR are the nanny controls on the Rubi lockers. Otherwise I love the lack of modern features.

Reactions: Tob and JEEPCJTJ
hat tire pressure are they at? The higher the pressure, the less they will grip.
Not true in water/on wet roads. The higher the air pressure the narrower the footprint and the easier the tire can cut down through the water to the better traction of the pavement below. The lower the pressure the wider the footprint the more easily a tire can ski/hydroplane on top of the water. The higher the air pressure the less likely it is to hydroplane.

Think how much easier it is for a wide waterski to stay on the water's surface than it would be for a narrow snow ski that will sink down into the water.

Screenshot_2020-09-22-20-03-15~2.png

I was never comfortable in the rain with the Pirelli Scorpion tires on my F 150, I swapped out earlier this year to a nice set of Goodyear LT A/T"s and was amazed at the difference, the Pirelli's had decent even tread at 45K but were 4 years old.

I don’t know, I‘m in a climate that sees plenty of rain, ice, and snow and don’t miss having ABS at all but then again when I learned how to drive it didn’t exactly exist. As far as tires, I have 33“ KO2s which I feel perform well in all conditions on and off road.

Sort of off the topic but those of us who ride dual sport and adventure bikes will get it....

About 10 years ago they started putting ABS on motorcycle, ok maybe more like 20. But there was a huge pushback because if you are riding say a 500 pound adventure bike downhill on loose gravel with abs, when you hit the brakes absolutely nothing happens. So the manufacturers quickly decided that an ABS disable switch was a good idea.

My LJ is exactly the equivalent of a dual sport and don‘t need or even want ABS for that application and if I’m driving on the street I’m going to make adjustments in my driving style accordingly.

I don’t know, I‘m in a climate that sees plenty of rain, ice, and snow and don’t miss having ABS at all but then again when I learned how to drive it didn’t exactly exist. As far as tires, I have 33“ KO2s which I feel perform well in all conditions on and off road.

Sort of off the topic but those of us who ride dual sport and adventure bikes will get it....

About 10 years ago they started putting ABS on motorcycle, ok maybe more like 20. But there was a huge pushback because if you are riding say a 500 pound adventure bike downhill on loose gravel with abs, when you hit the brakes absolutely nothing happens. So the manufacturers quickly decided that an ABS disable switch was a good idea.

My LJ is exactly the equivalent of a dual sport and don‘t need or even want ABS for that application and if I’m driving on the street I’m going to make adjustments in my driving style accordingly.
Fair enough, my 37 yr old adventure bike (R80G/S) doesn't have it either, but for my 17 yr old daughter, who is learning to drive, it would be nice and there is no way I would survive an attempt to take that jeep away from her now. Would have been nice if it had it so that it could be disabled like some of the newer adventure bikes.....

Reactions: Aviatortroy
There might be places where disconnecting is useful altho tuning might be a beter option. Fact, in 1992? ABS came to Formula One and it so dominated the racing Formula One banned it the next year. Altho they used the justification that threshold braking should be a factor in picking the World Driving Champion, the fact was even back in 1993 ABS was better than the worlds best drivers.

And 28 years later I'm betting it has only got better.

We didn’t have antilock brakes for ages...TJs dont get wrecked because of lack of abs, but more so for lack of overdriving them beyond the handling ability of a high ground clearance short wheel base vehicle. Its on the visor.

Good tires at proper psi and driving one responsibly is the key.

There might be places where disconnecting is useful altho tuning might be a beter option. Fact, in 1992? ABS came to Formula One and it so dominated the racing Formula One banned it the next year. Altho they used the justification that threshold braking should be a factor in picking the World Driving Champion, the fact was even back in 1993 ABS was better than the worlds best drivers.

And 28 years later I'm betting it has only got better.
...kinda' like automatic transmission? whoops, I bet that is a can of worms.........

Reactions: billiebob
...kinda' like automatic transmission? whoops, I bet that is a can of worms.........
There is no such thing as a manual transmission in Formula One. Paddle Shift away just like the wifes Subaru.
PS, I HATE paddle shifters, much preferred the +- on the old Porsches
But even there I prefer the 3/2/1 Ratchet Shifter.

IMG_33811355795143.jpg

Last edited:
We didn’t have antilock brakes for ages...TJs dont get wrecked because of lack of abs, but more so for lack of overdriving them beyond the handling ability of a high ground clearance short wheel base vehicle. Its on the visor.

Good tires at proper psi and driving one responsibly is the key.
And back in the day I got a speeding ticket but a pass on the open bottle of beer.
All things equal, ABS is a massively impressive performer for even the most egotistical driver.

But quite right, even self driving technology won't replace good driving judgement and heads up.
Good tires and proper psi is a whole new topic.

Reactions: AndyG