What’s on my radiator?

TJK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Does anyone know what this is?

Part of the radiator?

38996766-E23D-4553-B019-AD7F27A66604.jpeg

AD4E2872-5232-4794-AD6E-967728AEC78A.jpeg

Looks like an external transmission cooler. I don't have an automatic, but I thought the factory radiator has a section of it's own for the trans fluid. Looks like someone hung one separately.

I’m assuming this is the most ideal place to hang it then? Wondering if it could be moved to keep front of grille clean. Or does it need to be there to receive the airflow?
Yes, all about air flow. When they are located remotely people almost always have a dedicated fan mounted to them. Putting them in the grille opening takes away the need for a cooler having its own fan…

Given that it has a line zip tied to the other trans cooler line coming out of the bottom of the radiator and headed back down that way, I'm gonna put my money on it being a trans cooler.
View attachment 289313
Is an external transmission cooler typical for automatics? This would have been mounted by the PO. It's not the ugliest thing in this world, but I do wish the grille area were as clean looking as some other TJ's I've seen...Any alternate positions to mount that retain function?

Given that it has a line zip tied to the other trans cooler line coming out of the bottom of the radiator and headed back down that way, I'm gonna put my money on it being a trans cooler.
View attachment 289313
I thought the same thing. Doesn't the factory radiator have its own section for the transmission fluid?

I thought the same thing. Doesn't the factory radiator have its own section for the transmission fluid?
Installing another cooler in series is the most common way to supplement the cooler in the radiator. Chrysler even does it on some other vehicles with the similar transmissions like the neon and one of the bigger sedans when they are driven in warm climates.

Reactions: TJK
Is an external transmission cooler typical for automatics? This would have been mounted by the PO. It's not the ugliest thing in this world, but I do wish the grille area were as clean looking as some other TJ's I've seen...Any alternate positions to mount that retain function?
Yes, an aux cooler for the 42RLE is very important. That transmission in particular hates to run hot, and you are extending its life by using one. I just installed one on my 99 WJ and it's just as ugly, but it serves a purpose.

Edit: Actually, looks like you have a 97, so you have the 32RH 3-speed auto. That's a much stronger transmission than the 42RLE 4-speed, but it's still good to use a cooler nevertheless.

Yes, an aux cooler for the 42RLE is very important. That transmission in particular hates to run hot, and you are extending its life by using one. I just installed one on my 99 WJ and it's just as ugly, but it serves a purpose.

Edit: Actually, looks like you have a 97, so you have the 32RH 3-speed auto. That's a much stronger transmission than the 42RLE 4-speed, but it's still good to use a cooler nevertheless.
Appreciate the input. Health for beauty would be a worthy sacrifice.

Reactions: bromel
Mostly typical. We run a gauge first to know what we need and then run an auxiliary cooler if it is called for.
You can clean that install up a fair bit by turning the cooler horizontal and running the connections down and lowering the whole mess in the grill and centering it. That style works best in the grill.

I do have to wonder if it is needed. You don't have AC so you likely aren't wheeling where it is too hot so the trans may not even need any extra cooling.

Yes, but depending on how the rig is used and where, sometimes they are needed, sometimes they are. Installing a gauge tells you if you need one.

Reactions: qslim
You can clean that install up a fair bit by turning the cooler horizontal and running the connections down and lowering the whole mess in the grill and centering it.

That would be a definite improvement for looks. Even if function was the only goal it shouldn't look thrown together.

Eastwood Radiator Black should help too, unless it's some kind of worthless product that causes problems, IDK but others may.

Here's looking in my grille. The transmission cooler is pretty much centered because that's where it seemed to mount the easiest for its size. If I had used more effort to clean it all up, it would be hard to tell what we're looking at.
IMG_20211109_084750_hdr.jpg

Mostly typical. We run a gauge first to know what we need and then run an auxiliary cooler if it is called for.
You can clean that install up a fair bit by turning the cooler horizontal and running the connections down and lowering the whole mess in the grill and centering it. That style works best in the grill.

I do have to wonder if it is needed. You don't have AC so you likely aren't wheeling where it is too hot so the trans may not even need any extra cooling.
Good advice. Flipping horizontal and centering would look much cleaner.

I'm curious as to why it was installed as well. It did spend most of its life in the interior of BC where we broke record temperatures this year. It's on the coast now where its cooler but still we broke 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit) this summer. I would imagine if I were to run a gauge on it to test I'd also want to replicate the external temperature it would be in or is a general range to look for regardless of external temp?

That would be a definite improvement for looks. Even if function was the only goal it shouldn't look thrown together.

Eastwood Radiator Black should help too, unless it's some kind of worthless product that causes problems, IDK but others may.

Here's looking in my grille. The transmission cooler is pretty much centered because that's where it seemed to mount the easiest for its size. If I had used more effort to clean it all up, it would be hard to tell what we're looking at.
View attachment 289375
Ya this looks much better. If I keep it, I'll definitely be replicating this look.