What’s the best off-road tire?

Xposure

TJ Enthusiast
Is there a specific tire that is generally considered the ‘king of the hill’ tire for off-roading? The trails we will be using the Jeep for have ruts, large mud holes, water crossings, and rocks to get over. I really don’t want to get stuck so I’d like to get a tire that I know isn’t going to be the weak link! Right now I’m running Goodyear Wrangler Duratec (they can on the Jeep).

Also I’m currently running 33’s but when I replace them I’m going to go with 35’s

Thanks!

nothing wrong with DTs. But your use suggests a more aggressive MT. Plenty of good choices. I always try to pick a local dealer for great service over price or brand. Like Ford Chev Dodge.... is there any real difference?

Reactions: StG58
If you use your TJ for daily driving with occasional off-road use, you probably want an A/T tire (All Terrain) such as a Goodyear Duratrac or BF Goodrich KO2. Those A/T tires perform better in rain, packed snow, and all weather conditions.

However, if you plan on mostly using it for trail use, or you don't drive it in lots of packed snow or rain, then you should go with a M/T (Mud Terrain) tire, which will have much stronger sidewalls, meant for playing in the rocks, and much more resistant against punctures.

If that's the case, I recommend the BF Goodrich KM2 (or the new KM3 which is replacing it), the Cooper STT Pros, or the Goodyear Wrangler M/T R.

There is no "best" tire. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, and those suggestions I made are just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of great tires out there I haven't tried. I'm just recommending what's very commonly used, tried, and tested.

For a while but who knows how long and it's a good question (as said in another post), I like the 33x10 because it's the lightest tyre I can run with a 33" diameter - I get the clearance without all that unnecessary weight and lode on my running gear, there are plenty more reasons why so many of us should be running that size but that's another story - so I hope they do.

Reactions: Chris
Is there a specific tire that is generally considered the ‘king of the hill’ tire for off-roading? The trails we will be using the Jeep for have ruts, large mud holes, water crossings, and rocks to get over. I really don’t want to get stuck so I’d like to get a tire that I know isn’t going to be the weak link! Right now I’m running Goodyear Wrangler Duratec (they can on the Jeep).

Also I’m currently running 33’s but when I replace them I’m going to go with 35’s

Thanks!
The best tires are the ones you can afford without sending you to the poor house.

Just how hard core are you willing to go here? There are lots of great compromise mud tires out there like the coopers, Goodyear mtr or the procomps (can't beat em with a stick for the price)

If you are doing almost no road driving then you can get into really aggressive options. Things like the bias ply maxxis Trepadors (my ears ring for an hour after a long drive with the half door uppers off) or the pitbull rockers (sounds like a twin engine Cessna going down the road). Hearing protection isn't the only compromise with super aggressive tires ether. Tread life tends to suck, I expect 20-30k km max out of my treps. Rolling resistance also goes through the roof so mileage goes through the floor. I basically bought a truck and trailer because of my Trepadors.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Rolling resistance
Bingo! That's what it's all about, it matters more than anything else, wide tires will give you more of it, less rolling resistance and you get more traction

It's one reason 31x10.5 will sometimes, particularly when clearance is not an issue, go as far as a set of 33x12.5".

X2 to KM3’s, Cooper STT Pros and GY MTR w Kevlar. I like an MT, even though they will probably wear quicker than an AT.

Just how hard core are you willing to go here? There are lots of great compromise mud tires out there like the coopers, Goodyear mtr or the procomps (can't beat em with a stick for the price)

If you are doing almost no road driving then you can get into really aggressive options. Things like the bias ply maxxis Trepadors (my ears ring for an hour after a long drive with the half door uppers off) or the pitbull rockers (sounds like a twin engine Cessna going down the road). Hearing protection isn't the only compromise with super aggressive tires ether. Tread life tends to suck, I expect 20-30k km max out of my treps. Rolling resistance also goes through the roof so mileage goes through the floor. I basically bought a truck and trailer because of my Trepadors.

Well I am planning on having them as a second set used just for offroading BUT I'll often be driving 1-3hrs @ 65mph to get where I'm going. The Jeep is already loud at 65 since it's turning 3250rpms....maybe the exhaust would drown it out. Haha

I've never driven any uncompromising mud tires on the interstate....I guess I need to research how loud they are.

Last edited:
Well I am planning on having them as a second set used just for offloading BUT I'll often be driving 1-3hrs @ 65mph to get where I'm going. The Jeep is already loud at 65 since it's turning 3250rpms....maybe the exhaust would drown it out. Haha

I've never driven any uncompromising mud tires on the interstate....I guess I need to research how loud they are.
Maxxis Trepador are recommended ahead of every other tire for off-road use in my area. I’ve personally never run them and my Coopers have been fine. But they might be worth it given your situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xposure
Maxxis Trepador are recommended ahead of everything other tire for off-road use in my area. I’ve personally never run them and my Cooprs have been fine. But they might be worth it given your situation.
Yes and no, remember the low tread life bit to. 1-3h is about 100-300km per trip, times two for return travel, times how many trips a year... At 20-30k km tread life... Seriously a buddy of mine had a set of 4 at 10k km and they had just over half the tread depth of the spare, and that was on the radial version. Just calculate how many years you will get for the $... They arn't cheap tires.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of em, just making sure you make an educated decision. Oh and for that long trip, if you do it with doors it'll be fine, if not, bring hearing protection.

Reactions: Xposure and JMT
Yes and no, remember the low tread life bit to. 1-3h is about 100-300km per trip, times two for return travel, times how many trips a year... At 20-30k km tread life... Seriously a buddy of mine had a set of 4 at 10k km and they had just over half the tread depth of the spare, and that was on the radial version. Just calculate how many years you will get for the $... They arn't cheap tires.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of em, just making sure you make an educated decision. Oh and for that long trip, if you do it with doors it'll be fine, if not, bring hearing protection.

Yep, and they are $$$$

Yep, and they are $$$$
Oh don't I know it. I figured between the improved mileage and the savings on tires the money I paid for my truck and trailer was basically a wash ;)

Reactions: Xposure
Just to expand on what Drizit stated. The serious street driven rock crawlers in my region all use Pit Bull Rockers and they are loud on the street, expensive and low tread life. Having said that they are very good for rock crawling.

Reactions: Xposure and Drizit
Almost everyone is going to have their opinion on what the best tyre is. There’s no 1 tyre that will check every box and outshine the competition in every way. One tyre might be great up in the pnw but work like crap in Utah. Check with local club guys and see what works for the terrain you will be tackling

Reactions: StG58
Almost everyone is going to have their opinion on what the best tyre is. There’s no 1 tyre that will check every box and outshine the competition in every way. One tyre might be great up in the pnw but work like crap in Utah. Check with local club guys and see what works for the terrain you will be tackling

It’s definitely a regional decision. Buy the tire that’s going to fit the trails you plan on visiting with consideration of how often it’ll be driven on road.