What’s the best off-road tire?

Duratracs dont come in a true 35". I had a set of 33s and they did great. That handled the rocks well, were phenomenal in the snow/ice. And they were quiet as could be. Only when I got down close to the wear bars did they really start to sing on the hwy. I did have to patch/plug 3 of them towards the last 15k miles due to nails and metal shards making their way thru, but I am not mad at that at all. Thats to be expected. I run MTRs in a 35" now, and while I do like them off road, they are terrible when there is water on the road. Road noise is comparable to the duratrac.

Reactions: JMT
I've liked my KM2's for the 30k miles I've had them. Worn perfectly evenly, done well in the rocks as well as the mud. If you want a pretty good mix, I'd go with the new KM3's. You can get them in a 15' wheel for a few diameters, as it states on the BFG website. Didn't see a 35" option with a 15' wheel, but you can get 33's with a 15' wheel. If you're really set on 35's, the KM2's would be a good choice.

You can get them in a 15' wheel for a few diameters, as it states on the BFG website.
That's so unfair, :BangHead: the Australian vertion of the BFG website tells a completely different story...

"Australia will have 25 new sizes available from June ranging in size from 16 to 20-inch rim diameters. A full compliment of 38 sizes will be available by end of 2019, providing for 90 percent coverage of the Australian market. The Mud-Terrain T/A® KM3 will have the best coverage of the 17- to 20-inch rim diameter market - the largest segment in this tyre category."

So yeah, whoopty do BFG! Yep, "the lucky country", that is of course if you don't care for 15" rubber on you Jeep. :cursing2:

That's so unfair, :BangHead: the Australian vertion of the BFG website tells a completely different story...

"Australia will have 25 new sizes available from June ranging in size from 16 to 20-inch rim diameters. A full compliment of 38 sizes will be available by end of 2019, providing for 90 percent coverage of the Australian market. The Mud-Terrain T/A® KM3 will have the best coverage of the 17- to 20-inch rim diameter market - the largest segment in this tyre category."

So yeah, whoopty do BFG! Yep, "the lucky country", that is of course if you don't care for 15" rubber on you Jeep. :cursing2:

They only seem to be making BFG's in a 15 inch wheel for 33's over here in the states, so you're not really missing much. Unfortunate that they made that decision. Wonder what the rationale behind it was. Maybe they just were not selling that many KM2's for 15 inch wheels...?

Yep, "supply and demand" I guess.

I run the 33x10.5x15 because it's by far the lightest 33" tire in its class - even lighter the it's 16" equivalent so I hope they don't discontinue it or I'll need to look at loosing my new wheels I've spent so much time setting up...
100_1957.JPG

...and running a 255x85r16 :( I hate the 305 fatty's, their not the best option for such a lightweight vehicle in the Australian mud - way too much rolling resistance. I go way further on a 10.5 width, particularly on the steep stuff then my buddies running a 12.5 footprint, I beat em every time.
100_1575.JPG

but they like the steamroller look. I don't get it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
If you look at every manufacturer they are dropping 15 & 16" selection. Basically most new vehicles come with at least a 17 and very few can even fit a 15. 16" rims are just an odd ball size that very few trucks came with so again, not much selection there. 17 is the new 15 these days and on full size trucks it's frequently 20s or 22s now.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Daryl
How do you like them on the street and trails? On the street are they noisy?
The road manners are great and much better than I expected. The KM3 definitely has a hum at highway speeds compared to the Falken WildPeak 30s that were installed by the previous owner. The KM3 are just as smooth on the highway and steering feels good. I was able to set cruise @75-80 on the Interstate on the way home with no issues. Not sure how they handle rain yet..

If you use your TJ for daily driving with occasional off-road use, you probably want an A/T tire (All Terrain) such as a Goodyear Duratrac or BF Goodrich KO2. Those A/T tires perform better in rain, packed snow, and all weather conditions.

However, if you plan on mostly using it for trail use, or you don't drive it in lots of packed snow or rain, then you should go with a M/T (Mud Terrain) tire, which will have much stronger sidewalls, meant for playing in the rocks, and much more resistant against punctures.

If that's the case, I recommend the BF Goodrich KM2 (or the new KM3 which is replacing it), the Cooper STT Pros, or the Goodyear Wrangler M/T R.

There is no "best" tire. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, and those suggestions I made are just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of great tires out there I haven't tried. I'm just recommending what's very commonly used, tried, and tested.
Do you purchase your tires locally or online. Also the duratrac isn't available in 35" variety. Attached are the two that I've found so far.

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 9.55.48 AM.png

Do you purchase your tires locally or online. Also the duratrac isn't available in 35" variety. Attached are the two that I've found so far.

View attachment 73990

I purchased mine locally at Discount Tire as they match all online prices.

And yes, the Duratrac isn't available in a 35" size, though they do have it in a 315.

Reactions: Jon Wildes

View attachment 73990
Between those two I prefer the MT/R with Kevlar. The MT/R is pretty much bulletproof from its Kevlar sidewall reinforcement, it's the only offroad tire I've never managed to cut or puncture while offroad. I'm on my 4th set of MT/Rs, 2 sets of 1st generation non-Kevlar MT/Rs and currently on my second set of Kevlar MT/Rs. Great tires. I previously had BFG's All Terrain KO and Mud Terrain KM, I managed to puncture the sidewalls both of those tires on the trail. That's not to imply they are weak or puncture-prone, it's just that there are some really sharp rocks on some of the trails here in SoCal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon Wildes
If weight isn’t an issue, look at the Toyo Open Country MT. Yeah it’s heavy (kind of helps to lower the CG) but I have not damaged one on the Rubicon, Dusty Ersheim, Calico, Big Bear or Johnson Valley. Reasonably quiet on the pavement also.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford