What airline do you prefer and why?

I hope you have your shit together when you do that - I get REALLY irritated when multiple smartphone idiots hold up the line fiddling with their devices when they could have just handed the agent a piece of paper and gotten on the damn plane!
No wasted time with me. I can't stand people who slow down lines for any reason.

• Love
Reactions: rasband and Zorba
I hope you have your shit together when you do that - I get REALLY irritated when multiple smartphone idiots hold up the line fiddling with their devices when they could have just handed the agent a piece of paper and gotten on the damn plane!

Another reason I like SW is that I can pay an extra $25 and get on it early. That lets me get a 2nd or 3rd row aisle seat, so when it lands, I'm up and OUT as soon as the seat belt lite goes off. I have my small carryon in hand that was under the seat in front of me, so I'm ready and I don't have to wait for the unloaders to unload multiple overseas bags from the overhead. I really do wish they'd get rid of the overheads entirely - it would be possible to load and unload a plane in 5 minutes or so if it weren't for all the carryons. CHECK THAT FUCKING BAG!

I have said they have it backwards, free checked bags and charge for the overhead. Also load the plane from back to front, that way I don't have to wait for the morons to stuff their oversized carry on due to not wanting to pay for a checked bag.

Good on you - seriously. I've found that more people with smartphones cause problems than not. Their "Convenience" causes everybody else inconvenience...

Those same people would be dumbasses with or without the smartphone.

I have said they have it backwards, free checked bags and charge for the overhead. Also load the plane from back to front, that way I don't have to wait for the morons to stuff their oversized carry on due to not wanting to pay for a checked bag.

YES!!!

And I've been on flights that loaded back to front - may have even been Delta.

Last edited:
I flew them frequently since they happened to be headquartered up the street from me. I had no complaints even then. I'd not be happy if Delta got rid of comfort+ and 1st class.

My transition to Delta was rough.

1st flight was DTW to BWI with a pit stop in CVG. The job site was at BWI. Got timed out in CVG, so overnight stay. CVG to BWI was an evening flight only, got sent to DCA and taxi'd to BWI. At least they covered hotel and taxi.

2nd flight was to DTW-JFK-POS (Trinidad). Delta misplaced my bag but it arrived on day 4 as I was leaving to the airport for the return trip. For 3 days of meetings and events I wore the same comfy outfit as i wore Sunday on the outbound- t-shirt, hoodie, athletic pants. I did laundry in the sink. I finally was able to buy a golf-style shirt on day 3.

NWA was frequently criticized, but during the ~11yrs with them I never had a cancellation, lost bag, or crazy passenger experience.

I tried Southwest for kicks once. Once. Also flew Pakistan Int'l Airlines twice. First class both times. Great food, ancient aircraft. It might have been a 757, it had a walk-up bar with mirrored backwall. No booze because Pakistan, the bar was used for storage. The seat ashtrays were mostly clean though.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
My transition to Delta was rough.

1st flight was DTW to BWI with a pit stop in CVG. The job site was at BWI. Got timed out in CVG, so overnight stay. CVG to BWI was an evening flight only, got sent to DCA and taxi'd to BWI. At least they covered hotel and taxi.

2nd flight was to DTW-JFK-POS (Trinidad). Delta misplaced my bag but it arrived on day 4 as I was leaving to the airport for the return trip. For 3 days of meetings and events I wore the same comfy outfit as i wore Sunday on the outbound- t-shirt, hoodie, athletic pants. I did laundry in the sink. I finally was able to buy a golf-style shirt on day 3.

NWA was frequently criticized, but during the ~11yrs with them I never had a cancellation, lost bag, or crazy passenger experience.

I tried Southwest for kicks once. Once. Also flew Pakistan Int'l Airlines twice. First class both times. Great food, ancient aircraft. It might have been a 757, it had a walk-up bar with mirrored backwall. No booze because Pakistan, the bar was used for storage. The seat ashtrays were mostly clean though.

Never lost a bag but had them not make my flights twice.

Spent a couple 100+ degree days touring Rome with no change of clothes or bathroom supplies though. So I can relate.

On the other it’s amazing how responsive they are when you point out one of the bags had a gun in it.

• Haha
Reactions: Sea Cot
I'm not exactly a "frequent" flyer, probably a half dozen trips per year. I'll use Delta or United, or SW with the $25 earlybird option, depending on the flight schedule, where the layover is, etc. I HATE American and I won't mess around with those "budget" airlines like Spirit or Frontier, either, 'cause you're not gonna convince me that you saved me $100 on a ticket by not giving me 6oz of Sprite....that savings came out of something I would have preferred spending the money for.

I'm not nervous about flying generally, but I don't like turbulence and I don't like being trapped where I have to bother somebody to get up and let me out....even moreso if they're sleeping, because it just feels rude. So, I always book aisle seats because I drink enough water that I won't finish a 90+ minute flight without hitting the lavatory. The last time I flew American they moved me from the aisle seat I'd selected weeks before and put me in the middle seat. I didn't know until I was at the gate and my mobile boarding pass wouldn't load. Had to go to the agent, who handed me a paper ticket for a middle seat between two passengers that were each twice my weight and encroaching on my personal space. The flight started off turbulent and I spent 3 hours from PHX to OKC being sweat on by two strangers...my anxiety built my stomach acid up so bad that it actually made me feel like I was gonna puke, gave me the sweats and I couldn't eat for the rest of the day.

Because I'm sure you're picturing an asshole struggling with this phone at the front of the line while everybody waits, I always bring it up as soon as I get off my first flight (to get my next gate), again when I get to the gate, again when they announce boarding, and again before I get in line so I'm never that guy.

Reactions: Zorba
Because I'm sure you're picturing an asshole struggling with this phone at the front of the line while everybody waits, I always bring it up as soon as I get off my first flight (to get my next gate), again when I get to the gate, again when they announce boarding, and again before I get in line so I'm never that guy.

That's good. At least you know you're laboring under a handicap so to speak, so you're ready. (y)

The other thing about a boarding pass on an iPhone is when it’s added to the wallet you don’t have to unlock the phone to show it, it’s available from the lock screen.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I always print out my boarding pass...not as anti smart phone as you, but still don't trust them in time of need.
Its just far easier and quicker for everyone at the gate. Why would I want to fiddle fart around with a "device" when I can just hand in a sheet of paper and keep walking?

Reactions: cliffish
That's good. At least you know you're laboring under a handicap so to speak, so you're ready. (y)

I always print out my boarding pass...not as anti smart phone as you, but still don't trust them in time of need.

Not sure I'd call it that exactly. I hung on to the paper for a lot of years but now I don't have to chase down monitors to know whether my gate moved, my boarding pass doesn't slip out of my pocket when I go for my wallet, and I learn about shenanigans with my seat assignment early in my layover instead of the moment I hand them the pass to enter the jetbridge. I can get to the airport 45 minutes before my flight and still have 15 minutes to wait at my gate because I didn't have to wait in line for a ticketing agent or a germ infested kiosk.

I hate flying the airlines.

725DC2AC-E734-4A06-B27F-C436519A4726.jpeg

Reactions: Apparition
Not sure I'd call it that exactly. I hung on to the paper for a lot of years but now I don't have to chase down monitors to know whether my gate moved, my boarding pass doesn't slip out of my pocket when I go for my wallet, and I learn about shenanigans with my seat assignment early in my layover instead of the moment I hand them the pass to enter the jetbridge. I can get to the airport 45 minutes before my flight and still have 15 minutes to wait at my gate because I didn't have to wait in line for a ticketing agent or a germ infested kiosk.

The monitors are literally everywhere, and I print the boarding pass before I leave home. I don't have to worry about a $1K+ device falling out of my pocket at any time - or getting stolen or broken, don't have to fool with the thing or worry about its battery status either. AND... best of all, I didn't have to pay for the thing or its pricey monthly fee! So there! :D ;)