What amount weight reduction is noticeable?

LittleTankTJ

TJ Euthanist
Lifetime Supporting Member
Before I undertake any projects to reduce weight on my Jeep, I was wondering what reduction of weight is even noticable from those who have put their Jeep on a diet.

How much weight did you reduce and how did it effect drivability/power/handling/sway?
What did you do to reduce weight?

I am looking at learning aluminum welding and replacing my outer cage with an aluminum one. It's for storage only and maybe a rooftop tent, but not protection. I noticed significant body roll reduction when I took it off to repair it.
IMG_20180811_143540__01.jpg

Lose 100 lbs and you'll notice it big time.

When I removed my spare tire, I noticed a huge difference.

When I weren't from a heavy ass steel front bumper to a Savvy aluminum front bumper, I also felt a big difference.

I can't put a number on it, but I can tell you that somewhere around 100 lbs, you'll really feel the effects of weight loss.

Reactions: LittleTankTJ
Every little bit counts, ya may not feel it right away, but I can feel a big difference between mine and some friends rigs. I’d also like to start replacing some steel with aluminum. I’d also like to go to a fiberglass hood and grill.

Reactions: LittleTankTJ
If 100# is noticeable..... I'll just quit eating. I weigh 260#. I used to look like the guy in the avatar.

I changed from 33x10.50s to 7.50R16s and gained 5mpg with a 12# weight loss per tire. I used to coast up to red lights, the rolling resistance is so much less I am constantly hitting the brakes to stop in time. Any weight loss counts but reduce the unsprung or rotational weight for an instant noticeable change.

I saw a video on the old CJ2, it used to weigh 2600#.... wow cuz my TJR scales close to 4200#.
Most of our mods add weight.

It has only been the last few years but I'm starting to say, if I'm doing a mod, it must reduce weight. I grew up racing cars 50 years ago. Back then only 2 things counted, add horsepower and save weight. Not sure where I lost that but I'll blame the after market and advertising hype and ego. With a few of my school buddies from the 1970s we are starting to get back into sports cars and auto cross.

Nothing lighter than this. Thank god they make a wide body version, no way I'd fit the original from 1957.

DSC_0018.jpg

Last edited:
If 100# is noticeable..... I'll just quit eating. I weigh 260#. I used to look like the guy in the avatar.

I changed from 33x10.50s to 7.50R16s and gained 5mpg with a 12# weight loss per tire. I used to coast up to red lights, the rolling resistance is so much less I am constantly hitting the brakes to stop in time. Any weight loss counts but reduce the unsprung or rotational weight for an instant noticeable change.

I saw a video on the old CJ2, it used to weigh 2600#.... wow cuz my TJR scales close to 4200#.
Most of our mods add weight.
I’m about 155, I can’t poop or puke enough. :(

Years ago I went on a quest to reduce sprung weight. I was more than surprised at the results. A large part of my reduction was from carrying a trail box loaded with tools, parts, etc. I kept a detailed list for a while, but then stopped. The results spoke for themselves. The Jeep accelerated, stopped, handled and climbed obstacles more effortlessly. I've since added some weight, i.e a cage, but I'm very careful about every modification when it comes to adding weight! Below is a brief summary of my journey.

Sprung weight reduction totals:
-168 lbs (HiLift, excess tools, & over loaded trailbox removal)
-38.1 lbs (Front Bumper swap)
-31.5 lbs (Rear Bumper swap)
-199 lbs (Hard Top removal)
-2.4 lbs (Changed wheels & tires - spare wheel weight reduction)
-52 lbs (Steel transfer case & oil pan skid swap)
-40 lbs (Rear seat removal - weight estimated)
Total = 531+ lbs

Years ago I went on a quest to reduce sprung weight. I was more than surprised at the results. A large part of my reduction was from carrying a trail box loaded with tools, parts, etc. I kept a detailed list for a while, but then stopped. The results spoke for themselves. The Jeep accelerated, stopped, handled and climbed obstacles more effortlessly. I've since added some weight, i.e a cage, but I'm very careful about every modification when it comes to adding weight! Below is a brief summary of my journey.

Sprung weight reduction totals:
-168 lbs (HiLift, excess tools, & over loaded trailbox removal)
-38.1 lbs (Front Bumper swap)
-31.5 lbs (Rear Bumper swap)
-199 lbs (Hard Top removal)
-2.4 lbs (Changed wheels & tires - spare wheel weight reduction)
-52 lbs (Steel transfer case & oil pan skid swap)
-40 lbs (Rear seat removal - weight estimated)
Total = 531+ lbs

I didn't even thing about the hard top. That would explain the significant change to hill climbing I was feeling. I haven't don't long continuous hills since I got it.

Mine lost about 40lbs up front and 120lbs in back after a change to lighter smaller bumpers. The difference was noticable. The handling felt tighter and the Jeep was more spritely.

IMO, lose the cargo cage entirely and give up on the RTT. The TJ is not the right platform for high heavy weight.

After that, aluminum skids and bumpers are the way to go. Add weight slowly and carefully.

I come from an interesting perspective.

My red LJ (my first Jeep) had turned into an overweight pig after years of modding. What started as a single steel bumper which was not a big deal turned into more and more. It "felt" overweight on 33s. I never did scale it.

My wife's khaki TJ has weight gain over stock rolling on 35s but isn't needlessly heavy with an aluminum bumper and synthetic winch rope. It feels lighter than my LJ did.

Now, my red LJ which I've changed steel into aluminum everywhere I can but put on 37s and big axles and full armor must weigh significantly more than it ever did before but it feels lighter than it did before and feels lighter than the khaki TJ.

So I think perceived weight is dependent on more than just one factor.

Reactions: Don Ashcraft
My 2001 TJ 4.0L on 35's is currently on a diet.

Just sold the hard top that was 145lbs with the Thule racks
Took off the 33" spare 15x8" (80 lbs) + carrier, etc (10 lbs)
Back seat 43 lbs
Doors off (for warm season) are 55 lbs each (full door style)
Running no rear bumper
Just sourced an OEM front bumper that I will cut down and will save over 40lbs over XRC Bumper
Will ditch front OEM sway bar and end links (guessing 25 lbs)
Switch from standard battery to Li-Ion battery (save about 40 lbs)
Remove factory jack & lug wrench (5 lbs)

Things I'd like to do:

Remove A/C
Fiberglass or CF hood
Some carpet, rear floormats, misc.
Learn to live without a sub box? Haha

Basically, Jeep looks good with the Steel Bumper and winch, but hauling around an extra 120 or so lbs (Differenc vs OEM frt bumper w/ no winch) all the time...for as little as I off-road and for only 6 bolts and maybe an hour's time, I can swap the steel bumper with winch on for the times I may decide to do a more gnarly offroad adventure. Otherwise, it is just slowing me down...especially since I'm still on stockgearing (manual trans). Also, my kid drives it some and as a new stick shift driver living in a hilly area, the weight reduction is going to make it more forgiving to drive with potential imperfect gear selection.

As a sidenote, I got over 420 lbs off my 3100 lb auto -x car and it was a revelation. Weight reduction is basically a brake, handling, power, efficiency (mpg) all in one! =)

Last edited:
I recently ran the same trail without doors and then with doors and a passenger, both within two weeks. There was a very noticable difference in how the Jeep behaved.

Reactions: pagrey
I assume the stock front bumper is about as light as you can get?

I have been considering a tummy tuck for a while for several reasons including weight reduction. Maybe need to start researching more on that....

I assume the stock front bumper is about as light as you can get?

I have been considering a tummy tuck for a while for several reasons including weight reduction. Maybe need to start researching more on that....

Yeah, Stock bumper is 21 lbs with end caps. I plan to trim/shape the bumper for aesthetics so should have it down to 18 lbs. My XRC bumper is listed at something like 62 lbs and winch with hook and fairlead is 94 lbs according to SmittyBilt. So, 156-18= 138 lbs saved! I'm not including the 4 lbs for both factory tow hooks which I may or may not install for now. Also, Not sure if listed bumper weight includes both D rings or not but as you can see, I leave them off when just driving around town.

Forgot to mention in my above response that a general rule of thumb is that every 200 lbs = 1 mpg gained.

96102206_162862255150148_55582026476027904_n.jpg

And, I PLAN on doing this with the OEM bumper...

17-TJ-Front.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. The Savvy front bumper with hardware weighs the same as a stock bumper.

Just weighed the OEM front bumper yesterday...21 lbs with end caps. Savvy listed as 30lbs (assuming without optional build options like winch mounting plate or bar). But for all intents and purposes, 9 lbs is a negligible difference.

Last edited:
Just weighted the OEM front bumper yesterday...21 lbs with end caps. Savvy listed as 30lbs (assuming without optional build options like winch mounting plate or bar). But for all intents and purposes, 9 lbs is a negligible difference.
There is not a 9 lb. difference.