What annoyances do you have with the Jeep Renegade?

Perhaps the OP didn't find the right forum to post in?

They're pretty nice, my nephew has one. He's all about the jeep life, which is cool. No sense in me stepping on his pride of ownership because its not a TJ. That seems dumb to me. I'm also not going to let him follow me into any trails lol

At least he didn't get one of those H3 tiny hummers.

I rented one and drove it 1500mi to Florida and back. The 9sp transmission drove me nuts constantly shifting at 65-70mph. This one was 2wd, but I can't imagine the 4wd being much better. Not super fuel economy either, the computer said 21mpg average , I reset it and managed to squeeze 32 out of it on the way back manually shifting it and keeping it under 70mph. It's a Fiat for sure. No way it will hold up on a trail.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I see how it is, guess everybody is gonna just roast the millennials again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annoy's me. It's Fiat with jeep name plate
Yeah, it's FIAT alright :(
I bought one (stick shift) for my teenage son due to "infotainment" (I thought good for kids) and he chose to get my TJ Sport.
I end up leaving it in the driveway for my wife if she chooses, but she likes our other TJ more.
..................guess who end up using it the most? :(
TJ-BU.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's FIAT alright :(
I bought one (stick shift) for my teenage son due to "infotainment" (I thought good for kids) and he chose to get my TJ Sport.
I end up leaving it in the driveway for my wife if she chooses, but she likes our other TJ more.
..................guess who end up using it the most? :(
View attachment 27033
As far as current jeeps go, the renegade still looks way more like a jeep to me then the cherokees. Those look nothing like a jeep to me. Just wish they were made in the US.

Also, the renegade forums are hilarious when people ask why wrangler owners don't like their renegade "but my renegade is as real jeep as it gets!" Lol.

Reactions: CarrotTop
Also, the renegade forums are hilarious when people ask why wrangler owners don't like their renegade "but my renegade is as real jeep as it gets!" Lol.

They really hated me on that forum for I tell them the way I see it.

Yeah we both have the BU (I have the stick shift) but I don't agree with your "real jeep" statement. It is made by Abarth FIAT, that is why I thought it is not a real jeep.

IMO Chrysler and Dodge engines better fits the jeep category. Not the Abarth.... what jeep did the Abarth built in their resume? I think that argument is where I am coming from. No experience in the jeep world whatsoever. That is why the hand brake is a "push-button".

Last edited:
They really hated me on that forum for I tell them the way I see it.

Yeah we both have the BU (I have the stick shift) but I don't agree with your "real jeep" statement. It is made by Abarth FIAT, that is why I thought it is not a real jeep.

IMO Chrysler and Dodge engines better fits the jeep category. Not the Abarth.... what jeep did the Abarth built in their resume? I think that argument is where I am coming from. No experience in the jeep world whatsoever. That is why the hand brake is a "push-button".

BU?
And I was saying I don’t really think it’s a real Jeep as it’s not made in the US, which sounds like what you’re saying as well but I could be mistaken.

Yeah we are saying the same thing... sorry.
I thought the Renegade is called BU. Is it?
Gotcha

Oh the letter designation for them. It might be i don’t pay any attention to anything but XJs and wranglers so I don’t know the rest of the designations. I thought BU was some term for something else

Last edited:
I told Kat to go pick out a new vehicle since her RA demands something dead solid reliable that I don't have to tinker with to keep on the road. She has at least 1 doctor appointment a week, sometimes 4 or 5. One monthly infusion, and a myriad of other things that I don't have time to contemplate whether or not her transportation is going to get her there and back with no hiccups. SoCal is not a place to go dig someone out of traffic when they break down.

I suggested the Grand Cherokee. I looked at the Cherokee and after about .3 seconds prohibited it from anything to do with us owning one. After several test drives, she settled on the BU. It is smallish, easy to drive, has a heated steering wheel which helps when her hands act up. Has heated seats which really help when other parts are affected by her RA. Ingress and egress is very easy for her.

We've had it a bit over a year and it has been dead solid reliable with no issues at all. She didn't get it because it has the Jeep logo, she got it because that is what fit her needs and she loves the thing.

Reactions: CarrotTop and Chris
Yeah mrblaine, I have a BU as my DD the one in the middle. Glad your wife likes it too!
I was surprised how nimble & functional it is, driving it with the 1.4Turbo Stick Shift is a blast.
It's very capable on pavement.
TJ-BU.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
Yeah mrblaine, I have a BU as my DD the one in the middle. Glad your wife likes it too!
I was surprised how nimble & functional it is, driving it with the 1.4Turbo Stick Shift is a blast.
It's very capable on pavement.
View attachment 27981
It is my wife's car, I have no opinion. When I walk out the front door, I have my choice of 5 vehicles to drive. The BU has never been willingly driven as my first choice. I drive it when she needs a chauffeur and that's it.

Honestly, I don’t hate them, though I’ve never driven one. Open jeeps and XJ’s are “real” jeeps to me, but I’d be happy to give one of these a go.

Here’s the clip from a longer video that changed my perspective on them (wayalife warning). They’ve got a trailhawk with 1.5” Daystar lift and bigger tires doing some decent rocks considering...

Reactions: Zach Jones
My daughter has owned one for a year and a half, no issues. She bought it because she thought it was cute and wanted all wheel drive. My father in law likes it so much he sold his Audi convertible and bought a silver BU. He loves it. I have no opinion other than I don't have to work on my daughter's BU.
Amy's jeep.jpg

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara