What are my options for addressing frame rust?

'05Train

TJ Enthusiast
So today I swapped out the valve cover gasket and the plugs, and dumped the filthy oil out of the beastie.

The valve cover gasket was a much simpler job than I expected. The bulk of my time was spent cleaning 22 years of funk off everything. Probably the original gasket. Oil was disgusting...I'll probably Seafoam the engine in 500 miles or so and change it again. Plugs didn't look bad at all.

But when I crawled underneath to pull the drain plug, I saw some cancer on the frame, specifically just aft of the front lower control arm mount. Both sides.

What are my options here? Grind it and pile on POR-15? Cut the frame and weld in new sections (I can't weld).? It's not terminal, not by a long shot, but it needs to be addressed within the next 12 months.

IMG_0855.jpeg

Don't you think the if you want options on how to address rust that you ought to have included photos of the rust in question as oppose to your valve train? :LOL:

Just sayin... ;)

Post some photos of what you're dealing with so we can better help you.

Didn't snap any, I'll get some tomorrow. Both sides, right behind where the front lower control arm mounts are welded in.

Have you ever drilled drain holes in your frame? Have you felt inside the frame through the access holes along the center and on the trail arms? Even better, have you looked inside with a borescope?

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Have you ever drilled drain holes in your frame? Have you felt inside the frame through the access holes along the center and on the trail arms? Even better, have you looked inside with a borescope?

I've had the Jeep for less than a month, so no. I've seen threads addressing drain holes, and that's on my list.

Here's a shot inside of mine BEFORE I had a complete Safe T Cap repair job done last month. And, mine was not nearly as bad as others I've seen. And, of course, it looked just fine from the outside.

IMG_1588.jpeg

Any update or pics? Did you get a chance to feel around inside the frame?

Sorry, been a crazy month.

Took it to Trail Forged here in Roanoke to have them assess and address it. Looking like they're going to cut out and weld most of the midsection of both frame rails. Having them do the lift & SYE while they've got it.

I'll update once I have some concrete answers.

Reactions: Rcroane
Resolution.

Took it back to the place I bought it, had them put it on a lift, stuck my thumb through a rust hole in the frame, and said that there was no way this passed a legitimate VA inspection. I signed the title back over to them, they cut me a check, and I'm done with it.

On to find another one.

Reactions: AjRagno
Resolution.

Took it back to the place I bought it, had them put it on a lift, stuck my thumb through a rust hole in the frame, and said that there was no way this passed a legitimate VA inspection. I signed the title back over to them, they cut me a check, and I'm done with it.

On to find another one.

Wow. Good for you. Best of luck in your search. Yours is out there....just might take a little time.

Reactions: '05Train