Great deals on TJ parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler TJ? Checkout the selection of TJ parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse TJ parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler TJ Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

What are some good, cheap adjustable control arms?

UKTJ

TJ Enthusiast
You're not flush with cash I'm guessing. Consider where you want your build to end up and what it NEEDS to be. Purchase accordingly toward that goal. If you want currie/savvy, don't buy the Zone arms along the way only to replace them later. Save money until you can afford to do what you want. Doing it in steps is a great approach.
Or your keep eyes posted for a used set from someone upgrading.

An example: My future son-in-law bought a cheap ass tonneau cover ($200) for his pickup truck. Couple years later and its destroyed by wind and snow. He replaced it with a truxedo lo-pro $500. But he's got $700 spent now. Save and do it right.
Was watching one of the many home building shows we seem to have on TV in the UK. Couple were cash strapped, chap explained his approach was do it properly or do the absolute bear minimum. That way he has not created a halfway solution they end up just living with because it is "good enough". As you suggest, that seems like a sound approach to me.

blazem

Supporting Member
Your thread title said "best" then you said "cheapish" inside lol. I was going to recommend Currie or Savvy but they're not cheapish. First make sure there's a flex joint on at least one end, say no to anything with bushings at both ends. IIRC Zone has decent arms that aren't as expensive as Currie's and Savvy's are. Edit looks like their better control arms with the recommended flex joints are from JKS which is a good brand.
Hi Jerry, Would u mind elaborating on the 'avoiding bushings on both ends' and the need for 'flex joints'. I just checked out the core4x4 link that was provided in this thread ( https://www.core4x4.com/product/t2-j-tjlj-cs8/?attribute_pa_color=black&addons= ). These have standard bushings on at most one end and a a Johnny Joint on the other. Do these fit the bill? The JJ's provide substantial mis-alignment compensation but not sure it satifies your 'flex joint' criterion.

Also any suggestion on polyurethane (greaseable) vs. rubber (non-greasable)?

Thanks in advance,
Blazem

Last edited:

Wingback73

TJ Enthusiast
I have the Core Tier 2 arms all around with Tier 3 track bars. They are solid/substantial, but I'll admit that mine sees light trails at most, so I'm not stressing them much. That said, based on what I recall from my engineering classes, there are a lot of other components in the suspension system that are going to break before these arms do.

Cheaper arms have a rubber bushing at both ends (like your factory ones). A bushing at both ends requires the arm itself to twist under load, just like the factory ones do. A round arm, however, had very little flex, which means that the bushing instead transfer all that twisting motion to your mounting brackets, and they won't take it for long. An articulating joint at one (or both) ends, however, spices that problem since the joint now handles the flex, say least until you are out of movement, then it again goes to the bracket.

I did a lot of searching before I settled on Core, since I wanted US made, high quality, and Johnny joints, but without paying a premium for a name. I'm not saying the others aren't legitimately better, just that I couldn't justify the premium for my use.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Tpink1234

you can replace all 8 arms at Core 4x4 tier 4 with hardware for like $1300
or Iron Rock Off Road has single flex joint arms for about $900
5636C759-DD25-4A8D-A55F-EE7237AB1AB1.png
There is a photo of me flexing out my tj. Has all stage 4 core 4x4 arms, the ride is amazing. I have zero complaints if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Reactions: rustygastank

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
I have Core 4X4 Tier 1 on my front uppers/lowers. I’m yet to replace the rears, although I probably need to. I’m not too terribly rough on mine (only some light off-roading), and they’ve been great so far.

I have no complaints regarding the quality, but if I were doing it over again, I would probably get the Tier 4 double adjustable. This is for no other reason than you don’t have to remove one end of the arm to adjust them if they’re double-adjustable. If you’ve ever replaced Ca’s before, you’ll know that they can be tough to get lined up correctly and reassembled. The fact that I had to remove and entire side of them to adjust for an additional 1* of caster was frustrating because getting them back in is not easy. I didn’t know what I was doing when I ordered them.

All of that said, I have no real quality complaints from my Core 4x4.

srimes

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone here seen, or even know of, a welded JJ failing? And if so under what conditions and tire size?

Of course forged is stronger, just like a 14b is stronger than a 44. Doesn't mean he needs it to run 33s.

Besides, everyone knows you really only need 3 links to locate the axle, so if he loses 1 he can still limp out. Just be sure to carry a few harbor freight ratchet straps just in case 🤪

pagrey

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Rancho adjustable from rockauto.com. test em out for us lol $170-190 per set
I've run the lowers for awhile in the front and recently moved them to the rear and got matching uppers. They work fine. That style bushing is used by a few companies, Rancho just happens to be the cheapest. Full flex disconnected on my Jeep they didn't cause any problems but every Jeep is different.