What are the best practices for leaving a Jeep sitting for extended periods of time?

Hughesy

So I work away from home for anywhere between a week and a month. No one around to turn the jeep over or run it.

Should I disconnect the battery or leave it connected? Any other tips for leaving it sitting? No power socket for trickle charging (communal garage). Battery is new-ish and seems healthy. Has a very small RMS leak. Drip tray in place (parts ordered for fix).

Depends on how long. If only a month I don't think you should do anything special, but no harm in doing some preventative things either. I've left mine for 3 months at a time without doing anything special and nothing terrible happened.

Battery maintainer , fill gas tank add a fuel stabilizer hopefully you can buy non eathnol fuel where your at , if more then a month would jack Jeep up off tires to keep them from getting flat spots
This would be great if you were letting it sit for 12 months or more.

Reactions: Hughesy
Mine sits for 3 month every tropical Florida summer.
Other than disconnecting negative terminal on the battery, i see no point in doing anything else.
Tires are back to normal just after a little bit of driving.

Reactions: 5632 and Jeanfi007
Dépend de combien de temps. Si seulement un mois, je ne pense pas que vous devriez faire quelque chose de spécial, mais pas de mal à faire des choses préventives non plus. J'ai quitté le mien pendant 3 mois à la fois sans rien faire de spécial et il ne s'est rien passé de terrible.

My tj don't come out as often as I would like. She sleep in the shelter in the garage. I do nothing except fill the tank to the max. I always buy a quality battery and put 98 octane unleaded.

If no outlet, do you get sunlight that you could use a solar battery trickle charger?

I agree with @jodomcfrodo , I drive my TJ every 2-4weeks, and see no issues, but the Florida sun/heat does deteriorate rubber, plastic, and battery life.

Good info. Just purchased my tj in august. Only plan on driving it in the warmer months. Will be garage kept in the winter months. Keep it away from the salt in the winter months. Plan on starting it and letting it run for an hour once a week.

Reactions: Hughesy
If no outlet, do you get sunlight that you could use a solar battery trickle charger?

I agree with @jodomcfrodo , I drive my TJ every 2-4weeks, and see no issues, but the Florida sun/heat does deteriorate rubber, plastic, and battery life.
No solar power possible no but that would have been a good one. Upshot is that it’s out of the Brisbane sun which is probably about the same!

Will be garage kept in the winter months. Keep it away from the salt in the winter months.
/\ That is definitely the best way to keep the rust away. /\

\/ This is probably around 400% overkill: \/
Plan on starting it and letting it run for an hour once a week.

Once a month may be roughly what's needed for a good battery but an hour of idling is something I'd avoid unless I was waiting for help while stuck in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to freeze to death.

Adding a Battery Tender would get you through the whole salty/cold season if you have electric in that garage.

Reactions: Jim King
/\ That is definitely the best way to keep the rust away. /\

\/ This is probably around 400% overkill: \/

Once a month may be roughly what's needed for a good battery but an hour of idling is something I'd avoid unless I was waiting for help while stuck in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to freeze to death.

Adding a Battery Tender would get you through the whole salty/cold season if you have electric in that garage.
Thank you for the advice. Will do that.