What are these things attached to my jeep?

zydecat731

I'm a new 97 TJ owner. First jeep, so I'm trying to learn fast. What are these brackets for? 2 are on rear... 2 are on a pillars. I'm sure they are after market but what were they for? What is this tube on the front next to the radiator? It looks a little like an air valve. I looked in my owners manual and didn't see anything. Don't know if it's original or added.

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Thank you for your help
IMG_0792.jpg
IMG_0790.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg

The ones on the front are brackets to hold aftermarket spot lights.

Those ones on the back I’ve never seen before, but my guess is that they are brackets for rear spot lights.

Yep, that air valve next to the coolant bottle is a one way air valve that goes to your front differential so it can breath, but not let water in. The brackets could be for lights like @Chris said, or possibly mount brackets for a cage that once was on there.

Reactions: Chris
Good point, those brackets are actually likely for a safari rack roof rack. That makes perfect sense now.

My guess is the previous owner didn't include the rack.
Sorta my point...if you wanted to keep the rack, or even sell it, you would need the brackets. Oh well. Mine had that type of rack when i got it, which I promptly got rid of. Those brackets messed up the paint underneath them.

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Sorta my point...if you wanted to keep the rack, or even sell it, you would need the brackets. Oh well. Mine had that type of rack when i got it, which I promptly got rid of. Those brackets messed up the paint underneath them.

Mine had brackets similar to this when I bought it, and I didn't get a rack. However, since I bought it from a dealer, I have to assume that whoever traded it in must have forgot the rack or something. Either way, I took the brackets off promptly. I think they look stupid, and like you said, the paint underneath can get damaged.

Thanks! I have a feeling the guy I bought the TJ from didn't have it long. I need to car fax the history. I asked him what the bumper brackets were and he didn't know. He said there were two more on the front but he removed them. I bet they were a rack like you said. The original installer probably forgot to take them off. Well they are going now.... I'l also pull those aux light brackets.

I'll google diff breather. I guess that is like a snorkel for the diff? Is that standard? I went into my vin build and didn't see anything that would indicate something special. Guess I'll leave that alone.

I also have a block heater. TJ came with from factory. I didn't ask you guys cause I knew what it was. Should I keep? Never gonna use. Or remove? I've been pulling unused wires for awhile. I don't mind pulling another. I just want to know what you guys like to see on a jeep...especially if it came with.

THANKS A LOT

people like you are why i bought a jeep