What are you guys running for audio setups?

Kreativebass

Hi all,
New here, and with a 2001 TJ I am curious of what folks are using for audio. I am thinking of about running modern Bluetooth to powered speakers. What is out there? Where should I look? I am not interested in dedicated power amps and other theft magnets.
Thanks in advance!

Get a new unit pre wired and pop it in. I got an Alpine from Crutchfield. Just go to their website plug in your vehicle and look around.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I swapped all the speakers (Polk DB 522) for all 4, a new head (used), and added a small powered sub that is impossible to spot unless you’re very keen.

Since the dash is an endless void you’ll want to get some type of baffles in there behind the speakers.

edit: all my stuff (except the used head) was from crutchfield, they made it super simple.

X2 for crutchfield … I’m running a basic single din JVC and upgraded all my speakers to the 5.25 Kickers … lots of others like the Polk as well. Crutchfield is great and provides all the wiring and faceplates you need and instructions are great.
my sound improved a tonne with just that … (I did also recently buy a dedicated amp but haven’t had a chance to put it in to see how much more it will help)

Reactions: rasband
I swapped all the speakers (Polk DB 522) for all 4, a new head (used), and added a small powered sub that is impossible to spot unless you’re very keen.

I love Polks. Fantastic speakers for a reasonable price - been putting them in my Jeeps for years now.

For head units I tend to stick to Kenwood. Also a great bang for the buck and have been very happy with them over the years.

Reactions: rasband
There are two very good threads about this that you can reference:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/upgrading-the-sound-system-on-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.11104/
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...ep-wrangler-tj-stereo-amps-and-speakers.7746/
My sound system is a bit of a hodgepodge. Kenwood head unit, Clarion Amp, Polk speakers in the front and Kickers in the rear.

If you are going to put in an aftermarket head unit and speakers then you might as well put in a small amplifier too. It's not going to complicate the wiring much and you can easily mount it behind the dash somewhere where its not going to get stolen. If you are deadset on not putting in an amp then you probably shouldn't bother replacing the stock speakers.

I would recommend Polk or Kicker speakers, and a Kenwood head unit, but honestly there are so many products in this space and most of them are going to perform satisfactorily so you can't really go wrong.

My one piece of advice would be that if you decide to replace the speakers make sure you fill the soundbar with polyfil and get some boom mats for the front.

Reactions: SSTJ
100% Crutchfield. Stay away from the house brand "Sound Ordinance". I went through three amps in short order. Crutchfield was 100% supportive and paid shipping both ways on all three, and then let me get a more expensive amp instead and only asked I pay 50% of the difference. Most of the above is solid advice depending on what kind of experience you want.

If you are deadset on not putting in an amp then you probably shouldn't bother replacing the stock speakers.

I don't know that'd I'd agree with that statement.

Admittedly, I have not replaced the speakers in my TJ yet, so I don't know if there are particular considerations. But if you get a head unit with good power output and some decent speakers, it's a world of difference from the paper cone crap that comes stock in my experience.

I don't know that'd I'd agree with that statement.

Admittedly, I have not replaced the speakers in my TJ yet, so I don't know if there are particular considerations. But if you get a head unit with good power output and some decent speakers, it's a world of difference from the paper cone crap that comes stock in my experience.
You may be right. Every speaker upgrade I've seen done on any car has included an amp and aftermarket head unit. There probably is still value to getting rid of 20+ year old paper cones, but I still feel like your so close to a complete set up that you really ought to just do the amp too.

You may be right. Every speaker upgrade I've seen done on any car has included an amp and aftermarket head unit. There probably is still value to getting rid of 20+ year old paper cones, but I still feel like your so close to a complete set up that you really ought to just do the amp too.

Yeah no doubt, adding an amp makes a big difference. But if it's a budget-conscious "I just want something that doesn't suck", plug and play sort of job, there's definitely value there.

I used to be a huge audiophile, but anymore I just want a stereo that doesn't suck so I've gone the easy route several times now :LOL:

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I'm running a Kenwood Head. I have Polk 4x6s in the front, 5.5s in the back, and a Rockville 10inch 600W sub that i have under the seat.

I drive 2 miles to the Crutchfield store and check out their outlet items often. Same warranty at a cheaper price. I mounted two 10" subs in a box, 1200w amp, then cut out and mounted two 4x6" tweeter/midrange on top of the box. Super loud and clear. You don't even need the other 4 factory speaker locations (can't hear them anyway).🥳
SPEAKER BOX (3).jpg

Last edited:
I used to be a huge audiophile, but anymore I just want a stereo that doesn't suck so I've gone the easy route several times now :LOL:
Kind of where I am at these days....Appreciate all the responses. I haven't looked at Crutchfield in years, and from what I am seeing the vehicle search functions seem pretty good. Thanks all.

Reactions: ParadoxD
My setup is as follows: Alpine ILX-W650 receiver, Alpine KTP-445U micro-amp, Kicker CS 5.25" speakers front and rear, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Powered 8" Subwoofer

IMG_2502.JPG

I used the MTX brackets to "tilt" the speakers to a more horizontal plane. Personally I do not like how small 2-way or 3-way speakers sound with poly/baffles. The baffles tend to muffle the cone too much, which causes the tweeter to be overly loud by comparison. On a component, you have some more control (typically a 0-3db gain adjustment) and often have different placement, which does lend well to baffle use.

IMG_2492.JPG

The Alpine micro-amp is under the dash and the B-8PTD is under the rear seat, so out of the way. Overall I'm happy with the sound but may end up installing some component speakers in the fronts to get a dedicated tweeter near the dash/a-pillar for even better staging. Once I get around to installing my CB antenna, I want to hook up the output jack to the input jack of the radio so that CB comms come through the radio.

Kenwood head unit with Garmin Navigation. Kicker speakers. No amp, head unit does just fine. I can hear the music with top off and about 55% volume at 70 mph.

Here I wanted to keep the stock radio. So I bought a bluetooth modified stock radio from 1FactoryRadio.

It works well with my iPhone.

Then like everyone else in the know I bought new speakers from Crutchfield. They were in stock and on sale when I bought them.

Anyway not some fancy young buck stereo. But modern bluetooth and good sound while dash looks like it did 19 years ago.

It's the way we roll in the shire!

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R5032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-5032cfx.html?omnews=16810957

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6432CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-6432cfx.html?omnews=16810957

https://1factoryradio.com/jeep-2/

I drive 2 miles to the Crutchfield store and check out their outlet items often. Same warranty at a cheaper price. I mounted two 10" subs in a box, 1200w amp, then cut out and mounted two 4x6" tweeter/midrange on top of the box. Super loud and clear. You don't even need the other 4 factory speaker locations (can't hear them anyway).🥳
View attachment 274665
Reminds me of my old system I had installed before toning things down a bit. I decided I valued storage more than blown ear drums, lol!
P1020971.JPG
P1020982.JPG

Does anyone make a modern radio that has more of an oem look? I've never liked the aftermarket stereos with the tiny buttons and weird lights.