What are you guys using for tire air compressors?

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What are you guys using? I have a Viair 450 on my Superduty with a 2.5 gallon tank which works great but not so much room on the Jeep so I'm thinking either a portable or something mounted. Definitely do not want to give up the factory AC compressor so 12 volt electric it will be. I'm thinking of another Viair, only the portable one. Don't want a cheapie that will let me down when I need it, it will be for the road only, I have a shop compressor at home.

ARB single, works great for tires and is going to run my lockers later - you can sneakily tuck it on the ABS tray and find them used for fairly cheap.

Reactions: MikeE024
ARB single, works great for tires and is going to run my lockers later - you can sneakily tuck it on the ABS tray and find them used for fairly cheap.

That looks like the one, and only 7.7 lbs, I like that. 50% duty cycle. The double has a 100% duty cycle but weighs 20 lbs and I'm guessing it wouldn't fit on the ABS tray, or if it would even be worth it for very occassional use.
The 50% duty cycle prolly wouldn't be a problem since I don't air down as low as a lot of guys, and my tires are only 31".
Thanks, it's on my wish list. My Jeep isn't even here yet and I'm spending hundreds.

Viair 450C with 2.5 gallon tank here.

So I've just been reading your blog and bookmarked it, I'm about half way thru it, very nice! So you started with Hella halogen and then upgraded them to LED is that correct? I didn't see you upgrade the wiring for the halogen but maybe you didn't use the high power lamps? I'm probably going with the Hella but will have to decide between the high watt halogens or the LEDs.
I really like your Viair 450 setup but that compressor was a biatch to install! I have the same setup on my Superduty, on the Jeep I believe I will go with the single ARB as it will serve my needs and I am keeping weight down for towing behind MH. Also, when on the beach in Mexico the Superduty will serve as "home base" so I can air up there as well. When towing behind the MH I can use the ARB for the Jeep or the MH if needed.

I don't like waiting on my tires to air up, so for me I pulled my single ARB compressor and it's on the shelf since it would take 20+ minutes just to get my tires reasonable.

Reactions: LakeBeard
I've got this one. Works great; ~3 minutes per tire to air up 31s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ASY23I/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If I ever have to replace, I'll step up to this for a little more power for the Duramax and RV tires, plus the automatic setting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0141KJTKQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That was the one I had on my wish list for the motorhome but I ended up with the Milwaukee M-12 inflator which is OK for a few pounds in a pinch but mainly I use it on bike tires. I suppose it would be smart to get the portable, less expensive one but a built in on-board setup is very appealing. There is probably a name Jeep people use for my condition? On the Powerstroke forum we call it PMS for "Powerstroke Modification Syndrome" and I've had it for a long time and was told the cure for it is to buy a Jeep.

I don't like waiting on my tires to air up, so for me I pulled my single ARB compressor and it's on the shelf since it would take 20+ minutes just to get my tires reasonable.

33s?
edit: ooooh, just looked at your profile...........35's. I have 33s on the Superduty and it takes about 20 min to get reasonable with the Viair so I don't think I'll have an issue with the little 31s on the Jeep and the ARB, plus the pressure is lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: rasband
Replaced wires/clips, hard-wired to battery with an in-line fuse. Mounted on fender. Does the job.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

IMG_0236.jpeg

Homegrown co2 setup. Way cheaper than power tank. Have thought about eventually going to a smaller compressor or York just to free up space in the trunk though.

I’ll admit I run 31’s but it was done with all 4 before I could get the sway bar back on and the limb risers off, took not long to get 2 of my buddys 33’s as well

33s?
edit: ooooh, just looked at your profile...........35's. I have 33s on the Superduty and it takes about 20 min to get reasonable with the Viair so I don't think I'll have an issue with the little 31s on the Jeep and the ARB, plus the pressure is lower.

31’s, all 4 18-25lb takes less than 15min

Edit: I should clarify. I haven’t measured how many minutes it takes. I know I spent less than 15 min at the top of my last trail ride, and I don’t remember waiting on air to finish.

Last edited: