What are you guys using for tire air compressors?

ARB single, works great for tires and is going to run my lockers later - you can sneakily tuck it on the ABS tray and find them used for fairly cheap.

Same and it's worked great so far.

I zip-tied a 3 ft. Goodyear hose extension along the inner fender of the engine bay and frame so the female quick-connect fitting rests near the bumper almost flush with the grill (sticks out just enough to make disconnecting easy).

Screen Shot 2023-01-18 at 4.24.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
Viair 400P. Airs up each 35 from 10psi to 25psi in 2min 40sec. I like the portability because I can take it with me when we camp in our Teardrop.

Last edited:
I use one of these. I love that you can set it to your target pressure and then go to other tasks and just listen for it to shut off. It takes maybe 3-4 minutes per tire, so not amazing, but I’m never waiting on it to finish unless I’m dumb and don’t get started right away. I haven’t used it enough to know how reliable it is, but heavier/longer power cables wouldn’t hurt it.

OlarHike 12V Portable Air Compressor, 150PSI Dual Cylinder Metal Pump Tire Inflator, Heavy-Duty Tire Pump with LED Night Light/Auto Shut-Off for SUVs/Trucks,Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874G965F/?tag=wranglerorg-20

it takes approx 90 seconds to air up each of my 35’s with my twin Arb. So about 6min total all four.

I have the single ARB and was wanting to add a second. I need to call ARB to see what I need, I think just a check valve or two.

So I've just been reading your blog and bookmarked it, I'm about half way thru it, very nice! So you started with Hella halogen and then upgraded them to LED is that correct? I didn't see you upgrade the wiring for the halogen but maybe you didn't use the high power lamps? I'm probably going with the Hella but will have to decide between the high watt halogens or the LEDs.
I really like your Viair 450 setup but that compressor was a biatch to install! I have the same setup on my Superduty, on the Jeep I believe I will go with the single ARB as it will serve my needs and I am keeping weight down for towing behind MH. Also, when on the beach in Mexico the Superduty will serve as "home base" so I can air up there as well. When towing behind the MH I can use the ARB for the Jeep or the MH if needed.

The lamps that came with the Hellas were stock 55 watts, PLUS they were in the Jeep for all of about a week before the LED upgrade. As coincidence would have it, I just installed those very lamps into my old MBZ last week, which also has Hella conversion housings in it, but the lamps that were in those were old and dim. The transplanted ones are mo' bettah, although not as good as the LEDs in the Jeep. I'll probably convert the MBZ to the LEDs eventually, but it takes a bit of work to accomplish on that car.

The 450C *MIGHT* install easier if you remove the head and re-install it 90 degrees CCW from its stock location. By the time it occurred to me to try that, I had already gone through the PITA that you saw on my webpage. But its a thought - which may be better, worse, or downright impossible (as I haven't actually tried it).

Reactions: MikeE024
ARB single, works great for tires and is going to run my lockers later - you can sneakily tuck it on the ABS tray and find them used for fairly cheap.

Exactly what I've done. Plumbed a QR chuck to the front bumper. Going to add a second at the diagonal on the rear bumper. Power is handled at the Auxbeam switch panel in the cab.

I have an ARB single but ended up mounting it in my truck for a cross country trip last year. I use a VIAR portable. I ran an SAE connector wire out to the grill along my winch power cables so I dont have to open the hood. I air down to 12 psi and when its time to air up I just let the compressor run for 2 minutes on each tire. I have done it often enough that I dont feel the need to check pressures, it gets me easily close enough to get home. I have been airing down more lately and have considered an ARB double but my current setup is just fine. We are usually hanging out talking at the end of the day anyway.

I run the Viair 450 - the continuous duty model. I mainly rely on it for the lockers, but I’ve done the 40’s as well. Although it takes a while. It’s been in the rig for many years and has been extremely reliable.

For tires I carry a power tank.

The fastest inflator I’ve ever experienced is a power tank running to monster valves on the rims. That setup would inflate my 40’s from 10 to 25 in under 15 seconds.

I no longer have the monster valves. There is a young wheeler on the forum that has them now (Just waiting for him to finish his build so I can see them again…🙁).

🙂

I have the small ARB compressor that runs my locakers and I could use it for tires but I use my smitty portable compressor

I have the ORO York for airing up tires and the ARB Twin (mounted in ABS tray location) for lockers, SwayLoc, and airing up.

Reactions: Wildman
Reactions: Wildman