What are you running for a 3rd brake light?

Third Brake Light!?
Tough getting that to stick in court when your vehicle did not come equipped with one from the manufacture...
Sounds like the LEO was justifiying a reason to pull you over.

according to google: In 1986, NHTSA began requiring all new cars to have a third brake light. The agency extended that requirement to all new light trucks in 1994. Op’s profile show his jeep is an 2003.

according to google: In 1986, NHTSA began requiring all new cars to have a third brake light. The agency extended that requirement to all new light trucks in 1994. Op’s profile show his jeep is an 2003.

That would explain why my 93 4Runner had no CHSML, but the 94's did....

Reactions: txbemis69
No ticket. LEO just said that my vehicle needs a 3rd brake light per the law. It passed inspection recently and I never knew it suppose to have one. When I bought the jeep it did not have one and I never thought about it. The trouper was very nice he just said I need to get one. He pulled me over for speeding and just gave me a warning so I was thankful for that.

Reactions: txbemis69
No ticket. LEO just said that my vehicle needs a 3rd brake light per the law. It passed inspection recently and I never knew it suppose to have one. When I bought the jeep it did not have one and I never thought about it. The trouper was very nice he just said I need to get one. He pulled me over for speeding and just gave me a warning so I was thankful for that.

most johnny law around here don’t sweat it but, they’ve just recently (last couple years) started enforcing it come inspection time.

Larger spare required removal of the ET brake light head just like others.
I went with the round LED ring inside the spare.
Did the same for our JK as well, although the factory center light on that one still fits so I just left it.

I like that, it looks white but assume it shows red with brakes activated and white with dome light? I have the factory one over the tire but since my hard top will never come off I like yours better.

Yes and no. Red in the main area for brake light, white with the dome light which I wired in with reverse lights.
Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FMRDZQS/?tag=tjforum-20

I removed mine and have never been questioned about it.
I use to think that most cops assume the Jeep is older than it really is, so it was not required to have one.
Now, they might not be old enough to know that vehicles didn't always have them. :unsure:

I just moved my stock brake light back and up with some scrap aluminum and old body mount spacer I had lying around.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2645285451...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
s-l1600.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.