What are you running for a 3rd brake light?

mudhog55

Got stopped by highway patrol last night for speeding (70 in 55 zone) LEO told me that I need a 3rd brake light. I never had one and did not know I needed it. He did not give me no tickets just a warning but now I want to install a 3rd light. When I bought my jeep it had aftermarket bumber with swing out spare, not sure the brand maybe warn. Need ideals on what people used for a third brake light. I'm not even sure where the wiring is. Thinking about mounting something inside my back window at the top to clear the spare. I have an aftermarket hard top.

You can get an OEM Third Brake Light off ebay. There should be a piece on the rear door with the contacts on it. If not, you may have to run new wiring.
tgateconversion-04-jpg.26223

This is the one I got, I’ve also got a swing-out tire carrier (for now)…
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92200_8100_07.htm
The one problem I’ve found is with it is that the corner I have circled seems weak. If I have it tight enough against the tire that it doesn’t wobble back and forth when I’m driving then it bends a little bit which annoys me.
Been thinking about trying to reinforce that corner somehow or another, or just some kind of way to fix it so it’s straight but doesn’t wobble.
9B58C901-0D4C-4755-A203-9B772E8645B7.jpeg

Got stopped by highway patrol last night for speeding (70 in 55 zone) LEO told me that I need a 3rd brake light. I never had one and did not know I needed it. He did not give me no tickets just a warning but now I want to install a 3rd light. When I bought my jeep it had aftermarket bumber with swing out spare, not sure the brand maybe warn. Need ideals on what people used for a third brake light. I'm not even sure where the wiring is. Thinking about mounting something inside my back window at the top to clear the spare. I have an aftermarket hard top.

Behind your spare tire to the passenger side of where the OEM mount was is a small hole (it may have a rubber plug in it). This is where the OEM wiring ran. Hopefully the PO clipped the wires and then pushed them into the tailgate and you can just connect some new wires to them and be good.

There was a post on this last week...I modified my tire carrier with a cross bar...dual color led cube...white and red is wired up as a third brake light.

IMG20230131204628.jpg

Just looked and my tailgate has a rubber plug where I assume the wire use to be. Where does the wire come from the tub at maybe that wiring is still installed. Not sure if OEM or aftermarket will work on my spare tire mount since it is not stock either. Bumper is a warn.

Mine technically doesn't fit the requirements but no one has hassled me about it yet. With 35s and 5.25" total lift I bet it's higher than SOME vehicles taillights...just not mine.

PXL_20220924_165322736.jpg

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Just looked and my tailgate has a rubber plug where I assume the wire use to be. Where does the wire come from the tub at maybe that wiring is still installed. Not sure if OEM or aftermarket will work on my spare tire mount since it is not stock either. Bumper is a warn.

Third_Brake_Connector.jpg

Reactions: JHammett
that explains my situation, the picture on the left that has the probes mine has 2 rubber plugs, the black box on the tailgate right picture is missing the guts. I guess I will just need to run new wires and go with aftermarket 3rd light and just make it work. Thanks

i’m using a red led trailer clearance light. it fits where the center cap on my spare goes. haven’t had any issues with johnny law and just had jeep inspected two days ago.

611238F6-47FE-4F49-BEE4-C1A4D06689B0.jpeg

Third Brake Light!?
Tough getting that to stick in court when your vehicle did not come equipped with one from the manufacture...
Sounds like the LEO was justifiying a reason to pull you over.