What are you using to make up the difference in vehicle height when changing a spare tire?

CharlesHS

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Going from 225/75x15 (28.25") to 255/75x17 (32.1") the Jeep is now at least 2" higher at the axle and frame; depending upon what size tires you installed.
For those that have not yet or will not purchase a hi lift jack for the Jeep; you can place a spacer beneath the factory jack (this is what I did).
I know the factory jack can be used with tires up to 35" tires, but raising the jack off the ground requires less cranking the jack handle.
For those that have already addressed this another way; what are you using to make up the difference in vehicle height when changing a spare tire ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weasellee
The stock jack should still be fine for a 2" lift.

I carry the stock jack, a 6 ton bottle jack, a 12"x12" jack base for soft or uneven ground, and bottle jack extensions from Bogert Manufacturing aka Safe Jack.

https://safejacks.com/collections/b...-bottle-jack-recovery-kit-without-bottle-jack
37M-BJRK-6-new_1024x1024.jpg

I do not carry a Hi Lift (although I did for awhile). Hi Lifts are generally the wrong tool for changing tires.

After going from 225/75x15 (28.25") to 255/75x17 (32.1") the Jeep is now at least 2" higher at the axle and frame; depending upon what size tires you installed.
For those that have not yet or will not purchase a hi lift jack for the Jeep; you can either purchase a jack with more upward lift or place a 4" plus spacer beneath the factory jack (this is what I do).
For those that have already addressed this problem; what are you using to make up the difference in vehicle height when changing a spare tire ?
Stock jack goes high enough under the axle tube to change a 35" tire.

Reactions: someguysjeep
The spacer I built is more for increasing the jacking base to better stabilize the jack plus I do not need to crank up the jack as much to lift the tire off the ground.
That isn't what you said.

You were explicit that a jack with more upward travel was required. It isn't.

For those that have not yet or will not purchase a hi lift jack for the Jeep; you can either purchase a jack with more upward lift or place a 4" plus spacer beneath the factory jack (this is what I do).

That isn't what you said.

You were explicit that a jack with more upward travel was required. It isn't.

You are correct.... I will rephrase what I posted...

Last edited:
I have a high lift jack that I use for decoration. For actual tire changes, I use a bottle jack. I’d use the factory jack if I had one but it’s long gone from some prior owner.

While on vacation in Hawaii some tourist was changing the tire on a rental Jeep. Somehow they managed to destroy the rim on the PAVED road up to Haleakala. They must have driven quite a distance on the flat to do that much damage. They were already half way through the process when we arrived. They were unable to locate the Jeep Jack and were using a borrowed one from another vehicle. It was placed on the frame and BARELY high enough to get the wrecked tire off the vehicle. I told them they may have to move the jack to the axel and they didn't agree.

"Ok, good luck with that"...

The consensus seems to be that those that still have the OEM TJ jack still use it for changing flat tires as long as the tires are 35" or 37" in a pinch.
When I purchased the '01 TJ Sport in Jan '20 the Jeep was missing the factory jack. I had one laying around from the XJ which now has a new home in the TJ. (y)