What are your favorite interior upgrades / mods?

Why two??
CB, and stereo both.
01.jpg

Reactions: Mac and Hopper
1” seat risers and a steering wheel cover.

I’m 6’ 5”. I didn’t need to sit higher, per se, but I was amazed how better my knees felt by having the seat lifted higher.

As far as my steering wheel cover goes: I just hate how small the steering wheel feels in my hands. The cover makes it a lot “beefier”.

Reactions: Head Lice
I've been thrilled with:

Joying 8.8" Single-DIN head unit floating bezel with CarPlay & Kicker CS speakers/Select Increment Dash Pods

View attachment 200903

For those that want a new head unit and don't want to swap in the Double-DIN bezel, I can't recommend it enough. It looks like it was made for the TJ, fitting cleanly between the vents and HVAC controls. I looked into other options but the non-widescreen aspect ratios on them didn't play nicely with the vents.

And while the Joying has its quirks (Chinese manufacturer, CarPlay implementation on Android-based HU), at < $400, it's a great deal.

Heated seats - $50 kit from Amazon and about an hour install.

View attachment 200904
After having the Joying unit in for a few months, do you still like it? Are you using apple carplay with it by chance?

After having the Joying unit in for a few months, do you still like it? Are you using apple carplay with it by chance?

The heat seat kit upgrade is well worth it, such an awesome addition.

I can tell you that I have a Kenwood Double DIN in my other car, and we used Carplay and Android Auto for a few weeks, and it was cool, but we no longer use them. There was a theory about 5 years ago that this tech would be a staple in all cars, but it's proven to be an embellished product.

That's my 2 cents.

Reactions: PattonD

I still really like it. As I noted, it has a couple of quirks. Every few weeks it has an issue automatically connecting with wireless CarPlay and I have to reboot my phone. And the addition of the steering wheel controls is a must with no hard button for volume control. But I would definitely buy it again. The screen size and aspect ratio are perfect for the TJ

The heat seat kit upgrade is well worth it, such an awesome addition.

I can tell you that I have a Kenwood Double DIN in my other car, and we used Carplay and Android Auto for a few weeks, and it was cool, but we no longer use them. There was a theory about 5 years ago that this tech would be a staple in all cars, but it's proven to be an embellished product.

That's my 2 cents.

Definitely love the heated seats. Put my first set in my ‘04 Rubicon back in 2004 and have added them to every TJ and JK I’ve had since. Tough to top cool nights with the top down and heated seats.

Disagree about CarPlay, though. Got my first CarPlay head unit in April of 2016 and have had one in each of my vehicles since. I hate the radio and have a huge music library, so the ease of access for that is tough to beat. And most OEM navigation systems are crap... Apple Maps isn’t perfect but it’s always up to date and has gotten better each year. It’s always frustrating to use the OEM infotainment in my wife’s vehicle.

Reactions: PNW_LJ and PattonD
By far the best interior mod in my opinion is LED lights in the cluster and dome light. I added red leds to the cluster to match the exterior, feels like all the work comes together with that small mod. Also love the double din radio with CarPlay, can’t beat that.

Attachments

• IMG_4177.MOV
    14.7 MB
Spidershade

Rockford Fosgate PS-8

CalTrend Seat Covers

Reactions: Airjunky
What was involved with doing the remote locks and heated seats?
Remote locks

InstallGear Keyless Entry System... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLUTPC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used these actuators because they are smaller
Install Essentials 524N High Power Door Lock Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009SWLE6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Heated seats

WATERCARBON Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit Hi/Lo Setting, 2 Seats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2LIRG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Bedrug. I've had it my LJ since 2013, as well as two TJs, and ran it in my truck bed for 10+ years. Since installing it, I've never smelled the musty odor of damp carpet again. Cleans up easy, wears well, and looks great! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Remote locks

InstallGear Keyless Entry System... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MDLUTPC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I used these actuators because they are smaller
Install Essentials 524N High Power Door Lock Motor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009SWLE6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Heated seats

WATERCARBON Tech Era Carbon Fiber Seat Heater Kit Hi/Lo Setting, 2 Seats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2LIRG/?tag=wranglerorg-20
How hard was it removing the seat covers and putting them back on properly ?

Reactions: Apparition
How hard was it removing the seat covers and putting them back on properly ?
It’s easy in an LJ... You don’t even have to remove the seats from the Jeep and can just do it with the seat backs reclined and upholstery still in place. I think I got the elements installed on my current Jeep in less than 45 minutes.

For the seat back, with the seat reclined you can unclip the upholstery at the bottom. With the backing mostly still on the adhesive strips but started and folded at the top, slide the element up the seat back. Once you have it placed, reach up and start pulling the adhesive strip backing off. Run the wire out the back close to the center console and move to the base.

For the seat base unclip the upholstery behind the slider handle and roll the upholstery up as far as possible. With the backing mostly still on the adhesive strips but started and folded at the back, slide the element into the seat base. Once you have it placed, reach in and start pulling the adhesive strip backing off. Run the wire out the back close to the center console and move to the wiring.

Last edited: