What axle seals should I get and should I get new control arm bushings or install a lift?

Schat64

Hey guys just got my Jeep back from safety (Canadian) and it’s all good but I’m going to need axel seals all the way around and would like to know what the best ones I can get are? and bushings sooner rather than later probably summer 2020 so I’m wondering if I should do a lift then instead of replacing them with factory replacements or I want to do a 4 inch Currie suspension lift with Johnny joints and double adjustables so I was wondering if it’s worth the money to fix the bushings and wait for the lift or if I should just do the lift instead I will be doing most of the work myself or if I’m in over my head i have a good mechanic buddy to help me out let me know your opinions and I appreciate any help

cheers !! And happy jeeping

I'm a bit confused.

How are axle seals and bushings related to a lift? You should replace the axle seals and bushings if they are worn regardless of whether or not you are installing a lift.

A lift should be determined by tire size. If you plan to add a larger tire, then yes, you should definitely add a lift. However, if you are happy with the stock tire size, there's no need to add a lift.

As far as axle seals go, I've always just used the ones that come with the Revolution re-gear kits. No idea who makes them, but I suspect they are either OMIX ADA, Crown, or one of the other brands. I would use any of those brands, you shouldn't have an issue.

Reactions: Schat64
Hi Chris and I should have been more clear when I wrote the post I want to do a lift on my Jeep in the future but I wanted to do it in summer of 2021 as I wanted to see what a stock Rubicon TJ can do. But when my Jeep was in for its safety my mechanic said I will need new control arm bushings by this summer (June/July 2020) so I was wondering if it is worth it to replace my control arm bushings and wait to do the lift as originally planned or if I should lift the Jeep now since I will be replacing all the bushings anyway. I’m mostly looking at what will be most time/cost effective as I’m going to be doing all the work myself or if I’m over my head with my mechanic buddy. Also For the lift I’m going for a 35inch tire on a 15 inch steely tire and I’m thinking of doing a currie 4 inch suspension lift and tube fenders

As far as the axle seals, for a TJ Rubicon I suggest these:

Front - Spicer inner axle seal 54381 (qty 2)

Rear - Timken Set 10 bearings (qty 2) and Timken 9912s seals (qty2)

Just making sure, you are aware that the new rear bearings will need to be pressed on, right?

As far as the axle seals, for a TJ Rubicon I suggest these:

Front - Spicer inner axle seal 54381 (qty 2)

Rear - Timken Set 10 bearings (qty 2) and Timken 9912s seals (qty2)

Just making sure, you are aware that the new rear bearings will need to be pressed on, right?
Yes I’m aware and thanks for the recommendation on the seals and bearings

Get the Currie arms now and adjust them to stock lengths, then when you are ready for the lift in 2021 you can buy the 4" springs/shocks and adjust the arm lengths accordingly.

If you have OEM control arms a bushing replacement is really not an option, as they are light gage steel and typically do not survive an attempt to remove the old bushings even when they are in the best of condition.. Most just replace with new OEM style as they are inexpensive.

Chris had a good suggestion.

Get the Currie arms now and adjust them to stock lengths, then when you are ready for the lift in 2021 you can buy the 4" springs/shocks and adjust the arm lengths accordingly.
thanks for the advice i will most likely go with that option i did not know that you could adjust them to work with a stock ride height

If you are going to regear at the time of lift the master install kits that are needed for regearing will include the necessary seals.