What band never fails to make you listen?

I grew up in the 60' and 70's, so it was all about Rock & Roll. And also heavy into the Blues, Soul, Jazz, old school Rap and Hip Hop.
But if there was one, it would be Steely Dan. I've been a Dan Fan since day 2.
My Wife and I have been known to travel hundreds of miles to see BB King, Bonnie Raitt, Steely Dan, Santana, The Eagles, Dr. John....

I've always enjoyed their music, but I definitely have a favorite song from them. It's "Dirty Work" from their 1972 debut album "Can't Buy A Thrill".

Reactions: alittleoff
I've always enjoyed their music, but I definitely have a favorite song from them. It's "Dirty Work" from their 1972 debut album "Can't Buy A Thrill".

I liked almost all of what they recorded but, seeing them in concert(s) was a great part of my life.
I even had a personalized license plate for awhile that read, PRTZLGC. It was funny to watch people try and sound it out.
Some got it, some didn't.

Last edited:
I liked almost all of what they recorded but, seeing them in concert(s) was a great part of my life.
I even had a personalized license plate for awhile that read, PRTZLGC. I was funny to watch people try and sound it out.
Some got it, some didn't.

PRTZLGC? All I can see is "Pretzel Grand Cherokee", and I'll be damned if I can figure out what that has to do with anything, let alone Steely Dan. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: RangerTJ
PRTZLGC? All I can see is "Pretzel Grand Cherokee", and I'll be damned if I can figure out what that has to do with anything, let alone Steely Dan. :unsure::ROFLMAO:

1680292240016.jpeg

We saw them in concert in '18, not too long after Becker died. Great show. Fagans voice is getting pretty blown out and he had a couple amazing back up singers to help pull him through. They even sang a couple songs by themselves.. Dirty work was one of them

I'm definitely biased toward guitar-centric stuff, and this video really highlights how much more I'd listen to, especially recent stuff, if they had great guitar solos. 🤣

For a number of years I'd run an average of 5 Marathons a year. One of the groups that helped me train was Collective Soul. The words and tempo just seemed to fit my pace and running style. To this day when I hear one of their songs, I can still feel the pavement rushing under my feet and the wind in my face!

For a number of years I'd run an average of 5 Marathons a year. One of the groups that helped me train was Collective Soul. The words and tempo just seemed to fit my pace and running style. To this day when I hear one of their songs, I can still feel the pavement rushing under my feet and the wind in my face!

RIP Billy Bob

Reactions: Irun

It's funny how that works. I have a much easier time with cadence and pacing listening to specific music. I'm more of a 5-10k guy though. Marathons....yikes.

Reactions: Irun
Oingo Boingo
Led Zeppelin
Rush

as a kid my dad had an oingo boing album, dead mans party. I got a kick out of it.

couple years ago for my birthday he randomly sent me a copy.

A few months later when I went out to JV for a week at KOH I realized I had left everything else at home. So I bombed around the desert for a week blasting dead mans party, turns out my kids love it too.

R-489712-1333749041.jpg

• Love
Reactions: suicideking
I'm a huge music guy and love (!) too many groups to mention them all but there are two rock bands that always make me listen, The Traveling Wilburys and the Rolling Stones. I watched a YouTube video on the Traveling Wilburys making their original recordings at Tom Petty's house, it was very cool to watch how all their great music came to be.

as a kid my dad had an oingo boing album, dead mans party. I got a kick out of it.

couple years ago for my birthday he randomly sent me a copy.

A few months later when I went out to JV for a week at KOH I realized I had left everything else at home. So I bombed around the desert for a week blasting dead mans party, turns out my kids love it too.

View attachment 414258

I've been a big fan since the mid 80's when Dead Mans Party came out. I heard Weird Science from the movie and ended up buying DMP. They are my favorite band. I went to around 10 of their concerts. Saw Danny Elfman last October, he did Boingo songs and lots of his movie songs.

My kids are fans too. My two older boys went to the October show with me. They also have a 'Former Members' band that plays in our area. I saw them a year or so ago.