What brand of tools do you recommend?

If I was to give advice to my 22 yr old self I would say 2 things you need to start the LONG and SLOW process to lifetime of acquiring tools.
1) Get a pad and paper or for todays generation your phone. Make a list of the tools you think that you will need. Acquiring tools is an ongoing process that will never end, ask my wife. Focus on function in the beginning quality of tools will come later as you gain working knowledge. Regardless of what other people may say a cheap tool is better than no tool. The exception may be screwdrivers or anything with an edge. Forget about Snapon or the other expensive tool brands unless you are a pro and can right the cost off as an expense. I’ll accept the heat for that statement but as a young man you will most likely not have that kind of money to start a decent tool set.
2) Start a F-you account. What’s that? Open an account and set aside a set amount of money each payday and add any windfall that comes your way. This way when you see a deal or need a specific tool for a job you can say F-you I’m buying it.
Tools brands are like truck brands. The Chevy, Ford and Ram owners all say theirs is the best but in the end they all get the job done.

Reactions: chad and pagrey
CL, Offerup and garage sales. If your on a budget theres no place else to find US and EU tools in the first place. And there way cheaper than the expensive snap on type stuff. My father had a garage full of tools. That were all US or German steel. And he bought every tool at a yard sale. I plan to inherit it once i move home this year.
Beware of snap-on sockets with a knurled ring around the base. These were sold to the military and do not have the life time warranty. I’ve seen these at swap meets broken and people think they can by and get them replaced.

I've been using a Kobalt set of sockets 10, 12-18mm, deep and normal, with a 90 tooth socket DIY on my cars for close to 5 years now and it's my favorite set of sockets. I'm sure you can get nicer and stronger but for me it's been surprisingly reliable. I'd recommend them to people

If I was to give advice to my 22 yr old self I would say 2 things you need to start the LONG and SLOW process to lifetime of acquiring tools.
1) Get a pad and paper or for todays generation your phone. Make a list of the tools you think that you will need. Acquiring tools is an ongoing process that will never end, ask my wife. Focus on function in the beginning quality of tools will come later as you gain working knowledge. Regardless of what other people may say a cheap tool is better than no tool. The exception may be screwdrivers or anything with an edge. Forget about Snapon or the other expensive tool brands unless you are a pro and can right the cost off as an expense. I’ll accept the heat for that statement but as a young man you will most likely not have that kind of money to start a decent tool set.
2) Start a F-you account. What’s that? Open an account and set aside a set amount of money each payday and add any windfall that comes your way. This way when you see a deal or need a specific tool for a job you can say F-you I’m buying it.
Tools brands are like truck brands. The Chevy, Ford and Ram owners all say theirs is the best but in the end they all get the job done.
This is EXCELLENT advice - although I hope pros write tools off, not "right" them off! ;)

I started this as a teenager for my chosen field of electronics. I still have most of the tools and equipment I bought back then, plus additions along the way. Not being bothered with a vehicle as a teen allowed me to afford that stuff.

Reactions: lBasket
This is EXCELLENT advice - although I hope pros write tools off, not "right" them off! ;)

I started this as a teenager for my chosen field of electronics. I still have most of the tools and equipment I bought back then, plus additions along the way. Not being bothered with a vehicle as a teen allowed me to afford that stuff.
I did question my spelling but let it go any way.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba
I have no favorite, something one of my diesel tech teachers told us in class one day really stich with me.” Use what’s comfortable, if your gonna use it everyday it better feel good in your hand” I like snapon but not their wrenches, almost too thin for my hands. Mac, better but most hand tools are craftsman. Then I have some snapon, Mac, Cromwell ext. depends on the tool and how much I use it

The Vamplier needle nose pliers is the nicest needle nose I have ever used.
20220701_075435.jpg

The Vamplier needle nose pliers is the nicest needle nose I have ever used.
View attachment 340182

That looks pretty good, especially the jaws--I have a couple of needle nose pliers that are junk. They're either bent or all the teeth on the jaws are smashed/missing and they dont grab anything. I have been wanting to get a newer set, especially one that has a long reach version.

That looks pretty good, especially the jaws--I have a couple of needle nose pliers that are junk. They're either bent or all the teeth on the jaws are smashed/missing and they dont grab anything. I have been wanting to get a newer set, especially one that has a long reach version.

This feels like is a lifetime tool. It's as good as the best Knipex stuff I have and use almost daily.

Reactions: tworley
I recently purchased a Knipex 10” locking spring hose clamp pliers for about $80. I will only use this one or twice a year and the price was steep but it makes removing and installing spring clams sooo much easier. Classic right tool for the job,
1656693780272.jpeg

Properly like many or most members on this site I have most every tool of different manufacture and most of the time I cannot tell the difference when using them. With screw drivers or pliers it is easy to develop favorites.

Properly like many or most members on this site I have most every tool of different manufacture and most of the time I cannot tell the difference when using them. With screw drivers or pliers it is easy to develop favorites.

That is true for most tools. The middle is broad with little distinction from one to another. However, there is a very clear difference when you are using a poorly made, ill fitting tool. And there is an opposing very clear difference when you are using a well made, well functioning tool.

Once you can compare a Knipex Cobra pliers to any other channel lock pliers, you will never want go back.

No favorite brand, so I have a wide variety of tools. Some cheap, some more pricy, nothing really expensive. It depends on the particular need.

I had several different 3/8" ratchets, which all eventually died. The worst of the lot was a modern Craftsman, which has become a junk brand in my opinion, at least for ratchets. I don't like the zillion-tooth ratchets, those itty bitty teeth aren't very strong. A strong 24-tooth 15° arc is fine for many jobs. Click, click, click, like it really means business. I looked at my 1/2" ratchets, and realized my old Proto was the most solid ratchet I owned. I've used it for decades. So I bought one in 3/8".

Proto_Pair_02.jpg

Proto_Pair_01.jpg

Reactions: L J
. Forget about Snapon or the other expensive tool brands unless you are a pro and can right the cost off as an expense. I’ll accept the heat for that statement but as a young man you will most likely not have that kind of money to start a decent tool set.

I will agree with this statement if you are buying new. I have recently stopped Turning wrenches professionally after 40 years , needless to say I have more tools than I can store at home. The cost of snap-on and Mac tools has climbed dramatically and it is hard to justify the cost unless you are making a living with the tools. With that being said, I am going through the process of deciding what to sell and what to keep and I have found there are some real bargains on e-bay for snap on tools.

I will agree with this statement if you are buying new. I have recently stopped Turning wrenches professionally after 40 years , needless to say I have more tools than I can store at home. The cost of snap-on and Mac tools has climbed dramatically and it is hard to justify the cost unless you are making a living with the tools. With that being said, I am going through the process of deciding what to sell and what to keep and I have found there are some real bargains on e-bay for snap on tools.

How mush to ship to 85043? 🤘

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ