What brand of winch should I get?

I can't answer your question on behalf of all "die hard Warn guys," but I can say that my local Warn dealer reports more warranty issues and returns with VR series winches than Warn's other winch series combined and that particular dealer generally recommends the M8 or M8-S over the comparable VR winch due to those warranty issues and returns.

That is my concern with the VR series, it is an overpriced version of the lower-priced class of Chinese winches. It's tough to stomach dropping a grand on a synthetic winch, and I know I want that M8000-S, and just have to wait for a used one to hit the market.

I hope this isn't stating the obvious but I'd just get a used M8000 and buy new synthetic line and fairlead.

Agreed...and I do wish the obvious was easy but I have been looking for a used M8000 for quite some time, and if I did find the steel cable version I would put a new synthetic line on it from TRE.

Im running a superwinch lp8500. Picked it up NIB on Craigslist for $200. Its used several times a year and has done everything I have asked it to do. Its just god-awful and painstakingly slow.

I have an Engo. I read nothing but good things about them and I knew it would be seldomly used. At this point, it still sits looking pretty and unused. How's that for some help 😆

Those are fighting words!

Which Engo do you have and have you used it at all? How long have you had it. I was seriously considering the Engo SR9s that Rockridge4x4 has priced at $389 with free shipping, or the SR10s which is priced at $413 including shipping.

I can't answer your question on behalf of all "die hard Warn guys," but I can say that my local Warn dealer reports more warranty issues and returns with VR series winches than Warn's other winch series combined and that particular dealer generally recommends the M8 or M8-S over the comparable VR winch due to those warranty issues and returns.
Thx guys ,that's just what I needed to hear !!!

Howdy All
Over the last 3 years ,it would have been convenient only 2x to have an electric winch
- I'm absolutely sold on quality products ,speak HONDA lol
- is there anything comparable out there to a WARN product at a more attractive price tag ?
- 8000 pound with Synthetic winch line ,on a receiver cradle ,that's what I'm thinking .
- much appreciate your inputView attachment 94340

-•lllll•-👋🏿
Found me a good,used 8274, have to use it yet 😊
8D0F22F4-85B4-4B33-B966-79345FEF448F.jpeg

Nice. What is your plan? You doing a full rebuild? Does ARB make a mount that will work for you? I had mine polished up by a guy in Coquitlam if you want to make it pretty.

Warn. No doubt about it!!!!
The last 2 trips I went on there was 2 Smitty winches that had problems, both had the pins on the plug break off, rendering the winch useless. Like others have said, if price is an issue Keep an eye out for a used unit. A15 year old warm will most likely still be more reliable than most of the new imports. The M8000 is a great fit and is pretty dang fast too.

Just be patient and keep your eyes open for an older used Warn. My neighbor just got an old 8274 for free and for $100 and some elbow grease it will be good as new. I'm into a sweet HS9500 for under $200. Both were lucky finds but there are plenty of Warn deals are out there. Most of them never used by JeepSUV folks playing dressup who moved on to a other cool looking grocery hauler vehicles

Reactions: matkal
Warn. No doubt about it!!!!
The last 2 trips I went on there was 2 Smitty winches that had problems, both had the pins on the plug break off, rendering the winch useless. . . .

In all fairness, Warn winches are not immune from problems. A friend with a Warn PowerPlant 12 recently had a similar issue which rendered his unit useless until he returned home and replaced the plug.

How is that mounted? It looks, interesting...
I fabed up a Receiver Mount, that way I can use it front and back
- I’ll post a pic once I’m back home
Nice. What is your plan? You doing a full rebuild? Does ARB make a mount that will work for you? I had mine polished up by a guy in Coquitlam if you want to make it pretty.
I welded a fish-plate on top of the bumper,then welded a receiver tube on top of it and that’s it