What brand of winch should I get?

DETOUR

TJ Enthusiast
Howdy All
Over the last 3 years ,it would have been convenient only 2x to have an electric winch
- I'm absolutely sold on quality products ,speak HONDA lol
- is there anything comparable out there to a WARN product at a more attractive price tag ?
- 8000 pound with Synthetic winch line ,on a receiver cradle ,that's what I'm thinking .
- much appreciate your input
IMG_4393.JPG

-•lllll•-👋🏿

Reactions: TJ Starting
My mechanic always swore by Ramsey, but I don't know if that is going to save you much. My information is pretty darn old as well, so maybe someone has more updated info.

My mechanic always swore by Ramsey, but I don't know if that is going to save you much. My information is pretty darn old as well, so maybe someone has more updated info.
Thx
The Ramsey winches I've used on other rigs seem to be noisy for some reason,one them was brand new

Thx Chris
Maybe I'm too patriotic ,but I prefer to support our north American manufacturers ,although possibly even WARN is relying on offshore supply
I keep looking

I am in a similar boat looking for the same size winch, so will be following. The current Warn rebate does not include the M8000, which stinks as that is my winch of choice but the cost is just too much. I have not been able to locate another North American company, and I believe that Warns VR series is made overseas so is the 2x premium of that lineup worth it over an Engo.

I have a warn on my atv snowplow and it has been perfect for 5+ years.

Reactions: DETOUR
I’d keep an eye on Craigslist for a Warn. I picked up a new in box 9.5cti for 800 bucks, normally 1700+ for the setup.

I feel like this topic is just as bad as the “which oil do you guys prefer?” threads. Only you truly know what you will need it for and the type of situations you put yourself in. Buy what’s in your price range, wether it be new or used, and just go with it. I feel like people put a lot of pressure on this for no real reason.

I feel like this topic is just as bad as the “which oil do you guys prefer?” threads. Only you truly know what you will need it for and the type of situations you put yourself in. Buy what’s in your price range, wether it be new or used, and just go with it. I feel like people put a lot of pressure on this for no real reason.
Spoken like someone who has never been on the trail with an import winch when it was really needed.

Reactions: D M and DETOUR
Spoken like someone who has never been on the trail with an import winch when it was really needed.

Spoken like someone who thinks everybody needs the best item on the market for the occasional use. You’re right, I’ve never been in that position. And I think it’s safe to say that the majority of the members on here, aren’t going to be in that position either. Especially when the OP states that he’s MAYBE needed a winch twice in his experience of wheeling his Jeep.

Howdy All
Over the last 3 years ,it would have been convenient only 2x to have an electric winch
- I'm absolutely sold on quality products ,speak HONDA lol
- is there anything comparable out there to a WARN product at a more attractive price tag ?
- 8000 pound with Synthetic winch line ,on a receiver cradle ,that's what I'm thinking .
- much appreciate your input

The Milemarker SEC8 is worth looking at.

Spoken like someone who thinks everybody needs the best item on the market for the occasional use. You’re right, I’ve never been in that position. And I think it’s safe to say that the majority of the members on here, aren’t going to be in that position either. Especially when the OP states that he’s MAYBE needed a winch twice in his experience of wheeling his Jeep.
I don't believe everyone or even anyone needs anything. But, until you've been in a position of needing a winch that moved just even slightly faster than molasses that has been stored in a freezer, you can't tell anyone they don't need anything other than whatever cheap piece of shit suits their fancy.

Reactions: D M
According to the specs, the Warn winches especially the M8000 are pretty slow under the same load when compared to the newer h20 series or the XRC9500 from SB. Of course the Superwinch 8500 is the slowest thing know to man and Harbor Freight lies through their teeth about specs but are the specs on Smittybilt way off?

I know, buy American, but are the winches unreliable, are they slow or are they just chinese?

Anyone with first hand experience with Engo? I like Warn, have owned Warn, and would always choose Warn if afforded the choice, but the imported winches from Engo seem to be highly regarded in overlanding and non-jeep brand offroading forums.

I know nothing about Engo and wonder if it is a viable option on a par with the Chinese-made Warn VR series but at a lower price point.

Anyone with first hand experience with Engo? I like Warn, have owned Warn, and would always choose Warn if afforded the choice, but the imported winches from Engo seem to be highly regarded in overlanding and non-jeep brand offroading forums.

I know nothing about Engo and wonder if it is a viable option on a par with the Chinese-made Warn VR series but at a lower price point.

I have only owned a smaller ATV Warn winch which has been nothing short of perfect over the past 5 years, but I have been wondering, is the Warn VR series' lineup of winches, and price, a marketing ruse - it's so close in price to the M8000 and Zeon pricing, but 2x-3x (including synthetic line-up) over all the other chinese brands, i.e. - shittybilt, badland, engo, milemarker, superwinch, x-bull, etc.

Is Warn baiting us into looking at the VR series, saying to yourself for only another 25% more in cost and I can have a top of the line USA-made Warn.

So is the VR series considered junk by the die hard Warn guys, or on par with the other Chinese brands?

For the majority of us, is the Warn M8000 and Xeon lineup the equivalent of bringing an assault rifle to a paintball match, and an Engo or Superwinch is completely fine?

. . . So is the VR series considered junk by the die hard Warn guys, or on par with the other Chinese brands. . . ?

I can't answer your question on behalf of all "die hard Warn guys," but I can say that my local Warn dealer reports more warranty issues and returns with VR series winches than Warn's other winch series combined and that particular dealer generally recommends the M8 or M8-S over the comparable VR winch due to those warranty issues and returns.