What brands of car wax do you use?

Depends on what you have to accomplish. Here’s my method:
1. Wash the vehicle with Dawn dishwashing soap, then rinse it really good.
2. Mix up Meguires, or Mothers car washing soap, and using a clay bar, wash the entire vehicle again, rinsing each section as I go.
3. If any scratches are noticed, bows the time to use some Meguires Scratch X 2.0 and at least reduce them.
4. Run in a good coat of Meguires Gold Class carnauba paste wax, or something similar, then wipe that off with numerous microfiber towels.
5. Buff with sheepswool bonnet using a 10” cheapo buffer.
6. Coat entire vehicle with Griot’s or Chemical Guys show car wax.
7. Buff it again.
8. Collapse onto the floor, as all that takes dang near all day to do.
Usually, if you cannot clearly see yourself walking up to the vehicle, it’s not shiny enough. Doing this helps prevent tree sap, dirt, mud, and bird poop, amongst other stuff from sticking to the paint, and therefore stays cleaner longer.
There again, I’m that guy that waxes the deck on his lawnmower, his wife’s bicycle, drinks Crown XO, and drives a Jeep. Your mileage may vary.

326F955C-B531-4DCC-93AD-41DB398DF976.jpeg

Depends on what you have to accomplish. Here’s my method:
1. Wash the vehicle with Dawn dishwashing soap, then rinse it really good.
2. Mix up Meguires, or Mothers car washing soap, and using a clay bar, wash the entire vehicle again, rinsing each section as I go.
3. If any scratches are noticed, bows the time to use some Meguires Scratch X 2.0 and at least reduce them.
4. Run in a good coat of Meguires Gold Class carnauba paste wax, or something similar, then wipe that off with numerous microfiber towels.
5. Buff with sheepswool bonnet using a 10” cheapo buffer.
6. Coat entire vehicle with Griot’s or Chemical Guys show car wax.
7. Buff it again.
8. Collapse onto the floor, as all that takes dang near all day to do.
Usually, if you cannot clearly see yourself walking up to the vehicle, it’s not shiny enough. Doing this helps prevent tree sap, dirt, mud, and bird poop, amongst other stuff from sticking to the paint, and therefore stays cleaner longer.
There again, I’m that guy that waxes the deck on his lawnmower, his wife’s bicycle, drinks Crown XO, and drives a Jeep. Your mileage may vary.

View attachment 90065
That guy's still around? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Fixer6 and RussTJ
My LJ is more 0000 steel wool and Valspar these days but cleaner wax does help keep the mud from sticking and I think it might help reduce pinstripes when I brush up against tumbleweeds. Carnauba wax works great if your paint is decent and you wash it regularly. I use Mothers "step 3" plain wax and Meguiar's cleaner wax but I shop around, don't like paying too much for a logo. I've thought about sealant but I think that ship sailed on my Jeep 10 years ago when the clear coat started peeling.

Reactions: RussTJ
I don't wax as often as I should, but come spring time when I'm ready to pull the hard top, I wash, clay bar, wash again, then minimize scratches with Griot's Fast Correcting Cream and a DA polisher with a course pad. Follow that up with Pinnacle Jeweling wax. I'll try to maintain that once or twice with Meguiars NXT wax.

My jeep is already old and I'm not a wax user. Will applying wax regularly help it look a little vibrant?
If you follow what I wrote in my previous post, you can make drastic improvements. And you don’t have to do all that every time, just maybe twice a year. In between those, just wash and wax about once a month, or as needed.

I use a good, name brand soap to wash first. Then I use a clay bar (Mothers) to remove contaminants, followed by a buff with Maguire's 205 (I'll use 105 first if the vehicle is really in rough shape).
After that I hand wax it with either Mothers wax, or Zaino wax.

Reactions: RussTJ and Fixer6
Just a heads up, unless you’ve already seen it. Meguiars has a waterless wash and wax out now. I have no idea how long it’s been out, but I first heard of it yesterday, when the wife brought home a bottle from the grocery store, of all places. Tried it out today, and man that’s some good stuff! I am thoroughly impressed! Way better than any detail spray I’ve ever used, and it’s ok to use on anything except matte finish, satin finish, or flat finishes. Good to go on glass, plastic, chrome. I tested it in the wife’s new Edge first. Depending on how dirty the vehicle is determines on how many microfiber towels you go through. Simple, easy, and it came out great! Gotta shake the bottle and keep it mixed good while you’re using it. Of course it does not mean you never have to wash your car again the normal way, but it’s definitely a time saver. The wife was happy with her car.
Good stuff!

134B5F3D-2844-47BA-B5A5-19FDCA6380C2.jpeg

5C9C1F21-AAF6-4A8B-BFAD-35A98C5BDAEC.jpeg