What bushings for a axle side front upper control arm?

lolothejeeper

Hi Jeepers 🙂
I am struggling with a problem on my TJ Rubicon 2003.
I wanted to replace the bushings on the axle for the upper control arms. It's a 10 mm bolt that goes through right now.
I ordered Acdelco 45G8088 but the sleeve is like 1/2 inch wide with 3 bumps in the inside to accomodate the 10mm bolt. I really don't like the fit. There is plenty of play which I don't think is good on a control arm.
Do you guys know what bushings I could order with a sleeve with an exact 10mm diameter ?
I was also thinking of upgrading the bolt size to 1/2 inch. Anybody did this already and if so, what would be the bushings I'd need ?
I wish you all a good day !

Hi Jeepers 🙂
I am struggling with a problem on my TJ Rubicon 2003.
I wanted to replace the bushings on the axle for the upper control arms. It's a 10 mm bolt that goes through right now.
I ordered Acdelco 45G8088 but the sleeve is like 1/2 inch wide with 3 bumps in the inside to accomodate the 10mm bolt. I really don't like the fit. There is plenty of play which I don't think is good on a control arm.
Do you guys know what bushings I could order with a sleeve with an exact 10mm diameter ?
I was also thinking of upgrading the bolt size to 1/2 inch. Anybody did this already and if so, what would be the bushings I'd need ?
I wish you all a good day !

Ok, for those who'd need the information, I strongly recommend the Moog K3166. This bushing works perfectly well on the axle side for the UCA of TJ 2003 Rubicon. It's intended for the rear UCA but it also fits in the front.
It comes as a pair so you can replace both passenger and driver side with one kit.
The inner sleeve is exactly 10 mm diameter and has no humps or anything. Perfect fit !

I strongly recommend the Moog

They're a knockoff of a much better brand. 🤫
BOOG (5).jpg

Reactions: txbemis69
They're a knockoff of a much better brand. 🤫
View attachment 357010

:D What would be your better option ?
The Moog bushing are a way better quality than all the bushings that I have seen so far but maybe I missed something interesting ?

By the way, removing the old bushing is a real pita. To press in the bushing on the driver side I found it easier to remove the spring. This way, there is much more room for the C clamp.

Any pics of the ac delco with the bumps?

It's been said here and elsewhere a bunch of times but it's the clamping force of the bolt that holds the sleeve tight to the other member of the joint (control arm in this case). If the hole is a snug fit, the bolts tend to seize up over time and I think the oversize sleeve with bumps might be designed that way to prevent the bolt seizing to the sleeve? A lot of factory parts are designed that way too.

The size of the hole is irelevant as long as the bolt is tightened properly.

I have Moog bushings on my Jeep but sounds like the ac delco might actually be better.

Here is my favorite solution-

A Currie right front upper control arm weld on mount and johnny joint - you slice the old mount, rough up the axle, slip in the Currie mount , weld it all in, paint it black and bolt the arm on.

I’ve got one similar (ucf)on my 2003 Rubicon and I’m about to put one on my 2006 Rubicon-

Reactions: CharlesHS

A Currie right front upper control arm weld on mount and johnny joint - you slice the old mount, rough up the axle, slip in the Currie mount , weld it all in, paint it black and bolt the arm on.

I’ve got one similar (ucf)on my 2003 Rubicon and I’m about to put one on my 2006 Rubicon-

Installed that Currie assembly in my '98 XJ 4.0L which has performed flawlessly in the 10 years since replacing the factory mount.

Reactions: AndyG
Installed that Currie assembly in my '98 XJ 4.0L which has performed flawlessly in the 10 years since replacing the factory mount.

I think the factory mount is just a little bit under built- And eventually the bushing does not want to stay snug - It seems the stock stuff does OK until it gets a lot of time on it or you push it hard

A little extreme for most.
Anyone else have a goto part number for that bushing?

I don’t have a part number but when I ran across a clevite like he had with the nubs I drilled it and went up a size on the bolt once.

One thing that happens sometimes is the bushing won’t stay tight in the mount- The whole gets elongated or whatever- That had led me to replace mine- I think you really do get a very high level of steering stability with that set up if everything else is in good shape- And also I know from experience that you can get death wobble if it is not.

Vous êtes peut-être l’un de mes Français parents canadiens? (Gevry) :unsure:

Hahahaha oui ça se peut 🤣 ! On est tous un.peu cousins !
I'll post the pics of both bushings (hump and straight) as soon as I arrive home.
I also replaced the passenger UCA bracket on the axle with something much more solid. I had it welded by someone cause I can't weld but I wish I could !

Here are the pictures.
I also added one of the new bracket. It's solid steel and I think it can endure any beating :)
The Moog
PXL_20220906_211025782.jpg

The ACDELCO (the sleeve itself is almost 12mm with humps)

PXL_20220906_211015081.jpg

and the bracket (from Frogfab)

PXL_20220906_211042080.jpg