What can't you live without?

I'm new to 4X4ing. I've had my Jeep since 2014 but haven't done any 4X4ing till last year. Yes pictures would be great if you don't mind going through the trouble? The first thing I did after getting my Jeep was to take to back seat out for my dog. now it's the dog house.
So far all I have to bring with is;
Tow rope, tow straps, jumper cables, and a collapsible shovel. Pretty Lame isn't it?
But the most important thing I bring with are friends with experience to learn from.

I pulled out the backseat for my dogs too, and built this two piece platform to keep them off of the brackets on the tub. It goes all the way to the back of the center console to give them the most room possible.

IMG_4409.JPG

When I go out wheeling, I pull it out and use the brackets on the floor to strap down my gear.

IMG_4386.JPG

The ammo can that is always in the Jeep is behind the passenger seat. The Fluids Can only comes with me on more serious trips. This list works for me with what I do.
IMG_4453.JPG

You're welcome. They have a bunch of different sizes, these worked best for me. Don't click the "buy two" option, just add multiple to your cart.

Reactions: etc1006 and StG58
I pulled out the backseat for my dogs too, and built this two piece platform to keep them off of the brackets on the tub. It goes all the way to the back of the center console to give them the most room possible.

View attachment 9985

When I go out wheeling, I pull it out and use the brackets on the floor to strap down my gear.

View attachment 9986

The ammo can that is always in the Jeep is behind the passenger seat. The Fluids Can only comes with me on more serious trips. This list works for me with what I do.
View attachment 9987

Can you post that as text? Great list.

Here's what the overnight bag contains:
1) Internal frame pack, bigger than a day bag but smaller than a weekender (Still looking for a good one, I must have four or five floating around the house, or given to the grandkids / kids)
2) Buck 119 fixed blade knife and two sided diamond hone
3) Buck 140M fixed blade knife
4) Additional liter bottle
5) Engineer's compass
6) First aid kit ( cloth band aids, sunblock, bandages, analgesics, tweezers, small EMT shears, sanitary napkin or two, misc first aid crap)
7) Stainless steel cooking eating set (pot, plate, bowel, cup, fork, spoon salt, pepper, mini bottle of Tabasco sauce etc.)
8) MSR Dragonfly multi fuel stove and fuel bottle (burns the same thing the TJ does, plus just about any other liquid fuel you can get your hands on)
9) MSR water filter
10) Tea bags, hot chocolate, bullion cubes, a couple of MRE's or Mountain House meals
11) Gun cleaning tools and supplies (pull through style)
12) More 550 cord in green or black
13) spool of trip wire
14) Heavy safari style shorts
15) Heavy short sleeved shirt
16) Sock liners and more wool socks
17) Wool "finger" gloves (the ones without the finger ends)
18) Small bible
19) SAS survival guide (compact version)
20) Magnesium fire starter with flint and steel built in
21) Strike anywhere matches in a waterproof container
22) Flashlight
23) Spare rechargeable batteries
24) Goal Zero solar recharger
25) Write in the rain notebook and pen
26) Deck of playing cards
27) Pair of small ten power binoculars
28) Good quality space blanket
29) 12' x 16' sheet of plastic
30) Miniature folding camp stool
31) Couple of bandanas
32) Wool watch cap
33) Balaclava
34) Candle lantern and extra candle
35) Fire starter sticks
36) Wood saw, the one that looks like a chain saw chain.
37) Gorilla tape (works on everything including torn soft tops and cloths)
38) 12" x 12" piece of thin veneer to set stove on

I'm sure there is more small misc stuff in there as well. Some stuff changes with the season as well, but this is pretty much the base of it.

I see your list. And I raise it exponentially. ;) I take survival up in the mountains of the PNW pretty seriously. This is my 10 day or I don't know when I'm coming back cause I'm hunting in the PNW list. It fits in an 80L backpack. But I modify this master list for each trip I'm going on. It's more of a list of everything that I can cull from. So as not to forget anything. But I can fit this all in one pack very comfortably. Alot of it is small lightweight stuff.

Doesn't include food taken in the cooler. And no everything doesn't go with me hunting. My hunting pack is set up for just hunting. This is the main pack held back at camp. I'd never take this pack filled with the master list of items unless I was mechanized - taking the Jeep.

Although I've only had my Jeep several months. I need to work out a security system for it and the cooler. Hopefully we and our camp are hidden so far up in the mountains it doesn't matter. But sometimes like to stay with the vehicle at night. But just as often sleeping in the mountains. Where this pack would be with us at a campsite. But still gotta work out some security for it. Maybe a security lock box and take the rear seat out. I rarely hunt with more than one other person. So that would work.

I need to add my vehicle supplies to another list. Which goes in my Tuffy security trunk. I'm still working on that one:

FOOD:
*1lb Beef jerky*
6-9 Mountain House Meals – As many as will fit comfortably.
*24pk - Peach iced tea Crystal Lite
*2 bags - Garlic salt and Johnnys seasoning
*1lb Instant coffee
*Splenda
*Dried creamer
*Dried squid for bait and eating
*40pk - Trader Joe's Black Mango Tea

SHELTER:
Kelty Cosmic Down 0F sleeping bag
Poncho usgi
Klymit skeleton coyote x-frame pad or Big Agnes full size pad.
Marmot Trailight 2P tent
Emergency Thermal Blanket

COMMUNICATION:
CountyComm am/fm shortwave radio that runs 150 hours on one AA. It's small. About 3x.75.
2 - Midland GXT1050VP4 2 way camo frs/gmrs radios - headsets for both - runs off rechargable AA's.
2 emergency whistle Fox 40

HYGEINE/HEALTH/WELFARE:
Small Powder
Baking soda in film canister - as backup Toothpaste and acid med
(I have acid reflux - BADLY)
1 toothbrush
Bug spray deet
Bag of tobacco and rolling papers and as many packs of cigerettes as I can carry. (I know. Terrible. Trying to quit now.)
Nail clippers
5 Zip lock freezer bags
1 Roll toilet paper
1 Bottle camp soap Dr. Bronners

FIRE:
1 4x4 ziplock with dryer lint and vaseline balls
2 Packs Waterproof Matches
3 Bic Lighters
3 small fire steel - misch steel
1 large firesteel 5 x .5
1 zippo lighter

TOOLS:
Lexan full size fork and spoon
Czech Mess kit (Only outside container. Ditched the interior pot for weight savings.)
Whetstone - Arkansas
Handcuff key
Fishing gear - 50lb test braided line, hooks, small & medium diamond jigs, dried squid
12 speed hooks
1 Casio waterproof wristwatch - with compass, thermometer, etc.
Watch cover
1 pair of small EMT shears
1 Large sewing needle
12 AA NIMH rechargeable batteries
Instapark 10 5w solar charger
21" Sven saw
Small compact binos
Duct tape - heavy weight and light weight for making bandages. (How much is to much? I have an inch of heavy weight wrapped around a credit card. And about 1/2 inch of lightweight wrapped around a credit card. Lightweight for bandages. Heavy duty for repairing things.)
Pad of paper waterproof
Carpenters pencil
Leatherman Multi-tool
P51 can opener
200ft 550 Paracord
300ft(?) 50lb test braided fishing line.
6 Plastic Zip Ties
6 Ranger Bands
1 Sharpie

WEAPONS:
Broken shell extractor
Gas port reamer
Glock .357 with holster
.30-06
20 .30-06 rds
50 rds .357
ESEE 5 survival knife/leather sheath
Mora OD Green with 4 inch blade. Kydex sheath
Tactical rifle sling
Headlamp Ultrafire UF-H2 B Head light - runs 11 hours on one AA.
Foam ear plugs
Gun cleaning kit - meaning small one in a bag.

PACK & HARNESS:
HPG conceal carry chest pouch. (Contains handgun/ammo/gps/flashlight/maps)
Arcteryx Khyber 80 backpack
1 Multicam fanny pack as EDC (Contains multiples of fire/water/cordiage/fak/fishing kit/poncho/headlamp/emergency blanket/snare wire/mora knife)
Misc. Silnylon pouches to keep clothing and sleeping bag dry

WATER:
SS Nalgene with aluminum canteen cup
Platypus water bag 2L (This is only for backup. Only used in emergency should I lose other water containers.)
USGI Camelback water bladder backpack 3L
Water Purification Tablets
Sawyer Mini water filter

ELECTRICAL:
3 micro photon II lights
12 AA Rechargeable Batteries
2 Fenix E21 2 PD35 flashlight - doubles as weapon light
2 Extra bulbs for flashlights
1 Samsung Galaxy S8+ cellphone, 256gb micro SD card, and extra battery. Massive storage of survival docs on the micro SD card. And important documents.

CLOTHING:
1 pair Columbia hiking pants.
1 pair Columbia hiking shorts.
1 synthetic Columbia hiking shirts.
1 Multicam Propper hunting shirt
1 Polarfleece Columbia jacket
UK USGI jacket multicam goretex
1 Super lightweight down jacket with hood. This thing is a heater. Maybe weighs 8oz? Very packable.
Merrel Moab Ventilator boots or Danner sage green waterproof combat boots.
Mosquito hood
Sythetic baseball cap.
5.11 fleece cap
Perscription sunglasses.
Perscription glasses.
1 Bottom and Top Merino wool base layer.
1 set of Gloves leather tactical shooting style
4 Pairs of Wool Socks
4 pairs of lightweight synthetic socks
1 multicam neck gaitor
1 OD Green shamagh (doubles as towel)
1 Lightweight commercial coveralls ghillie suit for bow hunting.

NAVIGATION:
2 Compasses - Suunto and Silva
3 button compasses stashed throughout chestrig, fannypack and pack.
Topographical Map
The map should include;

• Primary Alternate Roads (paved); your alternate vehicle travel route
• Secondary Roads (gravel or dirt); a back-up vehicle travel route
• TOPO map MGRS/UTM for compass or GPS use (terrain and waterways); a planned foot travel route
• Train Tracks (bridges across the rivers); for alternate foot travel
• River and Streams
• Water Crossing Plans(boat and bridge locations); alternate ways to cross the water
• Water Drainage Canals
• Storm Water Drainage Systems
• Bus and Taxi Schedules; alternate travel
• Cache and Hold-up Locations; your preplanned locations
• Possible Supply Locations; hardware, outdoor and gun stores
Streetwise waterproof maps of CA, OR & WA
Handheld GPS Garmin Etrex 20

BOOKS:
US ARMY Special Forces Medical Handbook

WALLET:
Emergency cash. Stashed throughout pack and self. Small bills.
Credit cards
ID
Insurance card
Important numbers - phones, addresses etc.
State and Federal licenses
Bank account numbers
Medication list

FIRST AID KIT:
1 quickclot or celox (i bought the celox it was cheaper)
1 Roll of Kerlix
1 credit card of 2 inch duct tape thin for making bandages and another credit card with 3 inch Gorilla Tape for repairs and making splints and wraps.
1 israeli bandage
1 Kravat/Triangular bandage
1 small EMT-sheers
2 burn-jel
2 wks Prescription meds
1 Bug Spray
2-5x5 Mole Skin
10 Cough Drops
Triple antibiotic cream
100 Benadryl
100 Imodium AD
100 800mg ibuprofen
20 prescription pain reliever
30 antibiotics
1 camp tweezers
100 pill metamucil
2 large safety pins
3 Suture kits
*As my first aid knowledge increases I add more things to my first aid. But I refuse to take anything with me I don't know how to absolutely use. Like I need a tourniquet and something for chest wounds. But I'm not that proficient yet.

I'm combining a vehicle repair and unstuck kit from all of your lists you've posted. And several from the internet. I'll post it when I finish.

Cant do without? This stuff listed above with window shades. Put your seat back, pull a sleeping bag over you, lower the windows and listen, bug free to the rain tapping on the roof as you doze off. Just back from a 12000k trip across canada.View attachment 48455
I'd pack johnny deekers list. Guys from the great white north know how to survive.

A guy I "knew" up North did a liquor run across Great Slave Lake, 160 miles each way, alone by snowmobile. He filled the sledge with cases of liquor and headed home. He never arrived and 4 days later he flagged down the plane searching for him. 4 days alone, highs of 40 below zero, 5 hours of daylight, 19 hours of darkness. No problem. He was heading to a dry community so the liquor was confiscated.

Heres my old license plate.
DSC_0059_2.jpeg

I travel pretty light. Winter boots, winter coveralls. toque, gloves. A gallon of water, cheese, pepperoni, chocolate. Tent? If I break down, I sleep in the vehicle. Sleeping bag? Insulated coveralls plus a few tea light candles. Matches, lighter. Guns, I've never had the need for one. Knife, just a box cutter.

Tools, yes a few, a socket set, combination wrench set, assorted screwdrivers, a body hammer, ball peen hammer, little sledge, pry bar, bolt cutters..... Most of my tools are for getting road worthy after hitting a deer or.... The best defense for deer, stay under 50mph at night.

Spare parts, just the tire. Plus VISA, AAA, Cell Phone. 40 years of driving, I was stranded once, the alternator died but if I had looked at the voltage gauge .... I wouldn't have been stranded.... AAA plus VISA worked way better than wrenching on the highway. Proper maintenance plus driving like you don't want to break parts is way better than loading 300# of spare parts.

Toiletries plus (personal meds, I'm a senior), tweezers, clippers, bulk band aid plus some surgical tape and a pair of scissors. There are always pieces of rope and twine in the car. Some twine plus a Map Book make a great splint.

If I travel to the USA, Medical Insurance, in Canada it's free, we call it Universal Health Care.

But the big lifeline,,,,,, a list, map, plan of where I'm going and when left with someone who cares. When I used to camp, ski, climb in the National Parks, we filed our plans with the local Ranger Station. They had a system where you dropped a note in their mail slot when you came back and were safe. If we ever leave the vehicle or a long hike, we leave the plan in the vehicle.

I'm an old fucker so paper and pen is always handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnny deeker
… If I travel to the USA, Medical Insurance, in Canada it's free, we call it Universal Health Care.

It's free in a sense that we don't pay for it when we visit a Doctor or go to a hospital for example and it's universally applied in that it's available to everyone. We definitely pay for it through our taxes though. I have no complaints about the system but it ain't cheap.

It's free in a sense that we don't pay for it when we visit a Doctor or go to a hospital for example and it's universally applied in that it's available to everyone. We definitely pay for it through our taxes though. I have no complaints about the system but it ain't cheap.
The other thing we do is regulate it. Fees are not up to the doctor or hospital to set.

After my heart attack I had a 4 hour ambulance ride, 5 days in IC, air ambulance for 300 miles, operation, release. They send a copy of all the expenses..... a total of $9800.00 was the final bill.... all paid by Universal Health Care. In the USA the ambulance bill would have been more.

Reactions: PCO6
The other thing we do is regulate it. Fees are not up to the doctor or hospital to set.

After my heart attack I had a 4 hour ambulance ride, 5 days in IC, air ambulance for 300 miles, operation, release. They send a copy of all the expenses..... a total of $9800.00 was the final bill.... all paid by Universal Health Care. In the USA the ambulance bill would have been more.
Good point on the regulation. I don't know how it works in other jurisdictions but set fees are a good thing. No doubt some Doctors are better than others and maybe deserve more but I'd hate to think that a higher charge simply means that they think they ARE better.

Also, I wish they'd issues a "invoice" for ALL medical expenses. Even though you wouldn't have to pay it it would tell people what the real costs are ... and maybe that they should think twice before they go to emergency because they have the sniffles or are hung over. A heart attack is obviously a serious matter and hope you've fully recovered.

maybe that they should think twice before they go to emergency because they have the sniffles
But that open the door to epidemics. We want everyone who feels the need to enter ER. It keeps us all safer. My heart attack was very mild, tingle in my fingers, cold sweat sitting at the computer, tight chest. I googled the symptoms.... knowing the answer and walked 2 blocks to ER. Too many of us think twice or ignore the symptoms.... the current problem, measles.

Reactions: johnny deeker
Apologies to the OP & others as I don't want to get too far off track but in Ontario, the Provincial government is working on a proposal to expand the authority of paramedics to have them make referrals to Doctors, medical clinics, etc. As is they are required to take everyone to the emergency room whether they need to go or not. Not only that, they have to remain there until the patient is dealt with. They basically end up hanging around while they could be out dealing others in need. Everyone seems to be onside; they just want to make sure that only the ones who need to go to emergency actually do. It's now a matter of working out the legalities and the procedural kinks .

they are required to take everyone to the emergency room whether they need to go or not
yes, this is disappointing. In my case the ambulance plus 2 crew waited in ER with me for 3 hours before I was handed off to hospital staff. Not sure how to get around that tho since the hospital staff were incredibly busy.... and while I was stable, if things change, who would be aware of the change.