What color are the dash gauge lights supposed to be on a 2002 Wrangler?

Vtx531

TJ Addict
I swapped LEDs into the gauge cluster back when that was the cool thing to do. (Maybe it still is? I don’t know.)

Had problems with them.

Went back to incandescent bulbs but I can’t remember if they are supposed to have the little blue rubber covers on them to make the gauges light up green? Or is that just the center console buttons and switches?

The stock gauge cluster bulbs have those rubber covers as well.

What problems did you have with the LEDs?

I don’t remember what problems I had with the LEDs. Either they were burning out, or not lighting the dash evenly. Something like that.

I’ll pull the bulbs and measure the diameter. Looks like there are a lot of options for the blue bulb covers on ebay depending on how wide the bulbs are in millimeters.

Went back to incandescent bulbs but I can’t remember if they are supposed to have the little blue rubber covers on them to make the gauges light up green? Or is that just the center console buttons and switches?

On my 1998 model, the instrument cluster gauges and radio controls are white, the digital readouts are blue/green, and the HVAC and automatic transmission indicator lights are green.

06 Rub...my dash lights are white. That's how I got my TJ. Did someone else swap them out? Don't know. Haven't needed to get back there.

If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the bulbs to add covers - then I would just buy LEDs instead at that point. Somewhere around here there is a great post about the sizes / style / quantity needed.

If you are going to go through the trouble of pulling the bulbs to add covers - then I would just buy LEDs instead at that point. Somewhere around here there is a great post about the sizes / style / quantity needed.
I'm only pulling one bulb to replace it in my daughter's Jeep. The last time I replaced a bulb, the cover would not come off easily and was damaged. I don't want to be in that situation again.

Reactions: 707kevin
First trip to a junkyard today. I bought $80 worth of stuff but they threw these in for free :)

And they actually work. I will still probably order some bulb covers though so I can keep the new bulbs that I recently installed that didn’t come with covers because who knows how many miles and hours are on these junkyard bulbs.

26BEBF74-C7AD-46A3-B010-C06C76BBAA42.jpeg

Reactions: 707kevin
I got a pack of 10 blue bulb covers on ebay. Cost $10. They fit my gauge bulbs perfect but they were too big for the bulbs in the switch. I cut the cover shorter to fit but the diameter was still loose. I added a couple drops of Elmers school glue and fit the cover on...we will see how it holds up.

0C9F34FA-F33E-4776-B62E-012DE9A7BB8D.jpeg

The covers above are 4mm.

I’m not okay with the elmers glue solution on the switch bulbs so I ordered some 3mm covers from ebay this morning and they should work much better.

3mm covers were $9 for 12