What coolant to use?

French_Bulldog

Supporting Member
Hello,

I need help with coolant — I’ve heard conflicting information about what coolant to use.
I currently have unknown green stuff in my ‘98 2.5. I need to top off as my reservoir is near empty, although I’ll only be driving within a few miles.

Can someone please let me know if this coolant is okay?: https://oemeasymatch.com/products/oem-extended-life-orange-ii-antifreeze-coolant/

Can I mix it with the green stuff temporarily (just for today) and then flush?

Thanks!

I’m general, I didn’t used to over think coolant. I did learn the past year or so. That different types mixed will turn to gel, which is bad.

I used HOAT GL5 (edit: G05, Not GL5 Gear lube, ha!)I believe and never mix it just to avoid that, just in case.

The color. I really don’t know if that matters

Last edited:
50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water for that era of Jeep. The color is put in anti-freeze to identify the types. The newer HOAT and OAT don't play well with others.

50/50 mix of ethylene glycol and water for that era of Jeep. The color is put in anti-freeze to identify the types. The newer HOAT and OAT don't play well with others.
Contrary to the rumor, coolant color is no guarantee of coolant type. The coolant industry has not standardized on colors for the various coolant types.

Contrary to the rumor, coolant color is no guarantee of coolant type. The coolant industry has not standardized on colors for the various coolant types.

Ok , regardless of the color put ethylene glycol and water in a Jeep of that era. However good luck find that spec . for a 98 2.5 in any color than green.

It's real hard to beat Zerex G-05 which matches the specs perfectly. @cpwolf you meant HOAT G-05 not GL5 which is a type of gear lube. :)

Yes….I literally got in last night after 2 cancelled flights back from Bangalore, India, ha. Zerex G05 is what I use, yes, and when I’m not delusional tired that is what I type.

Jeez you flew in from from India? What were you doing there? Or would M object to you answering that? 😁

I have a Software Dev team there of about 150. Spent the week there with them. Got a cold, missed connection in Frankfurt, got through Denver and finally back to Austin .

Unfortunate, I travel a pretty good amount, and cannot sleep on a plane hardly at all. So I’m decently run down after a 29 hour travel, not young anymore, ha.

It’s easier meeting the US team. Have folks in about 8 countries, follow the sun stuff around broadband.

Early TJs like yours used regular green antifreeze from the factory, they switched to HOAT (orange from Mopar, "yellow" in the form of G05) sometime before 2002.

Personally I switched my 2002 (with multiple clean-water flushes in between) back from G05 to modern Prestone green. Partly because it's easier to get, mostly because I hate how G05 looks essentially colorless when you're dealing with tracing a leak, as I did too many times on my WJ.

Reactions: John Cooper