What could happen if you mounted the lower control arms upside down and backwards?

Are we talking about factory lower control arms?

Aftermarket arms (i.e. Savvy) don't have a top or a bottom or a front and back.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
if they're factory arms, they'll hold dirt and mud inside since the open side will be facing up. I'm not sure factory arms have a front/back but it's been a while since I've looked at some.

I think I remember somebody saying they turned their upside down because the closed side seemed to better take abuse from rocks. If they were out west then the mud trapping issue might not be there.

Can't really see how it would matter. As Chris said the aftermarket arms don't have a top/bottom front/back orientation. For double adjustable you mount them so they turn the way you want, which means one arm is flipped.

Can't really see how it would matter. As Chris said the aftermarket arms don't have a top/bottom front/back orientation. For double adjustable you mount them so they turn the way you want, which means one arm is flipped.
What about aftermarket arms with zirks in the body?

What about aftermarket arms with zirks in the body?

Like this?

0015935_rj-150400-103-jt-rear-upper-johnny-joint-control-arms_320.jpeg

Yes like those...point the zerks up, may be tough to grease, point them down, maybe drag them off over a rock. So depending on your wheeling terrain and thoughts on greasing the joints, I would say you there is an up or down But it is best determined by your specific needs.

But where there is a will there is a way, flush zerks, 90 degree zirks, 90 degree grease gun fittings, etc.

Ok, but just look at those and think about it.

You can still mount them one way or the other, and point the zerks wherever you like.

Ok, but just look at those and think about it.

You can still mount them one way or the other, and point the zerks wherever you like.
I think we are saying the same thing... They could be mounted either way. Depending on your preferences and needs, one way would be considered upside down

I’m not asking for a friend. I freaking managed to mess it up. I bought the Rubicon Express lower control arms with one fixed end and one Johnny joint end. I mounted the fronts upside down and backwards (Johnny joint on axle mount) with zerks pointing up so they didn’t get ripped off on rocks. I mounted the tears correctly but upside down (zerks pointing up). The fronts are the ones I’m concerned about... Could my failure cause an issue? Does anyone know of this or have the courage to admit they made a mistake, as well and experience any issues?

I’m not an expert.. at all. But after looking at them I can’t imagine anything exploding.

After I bolted them up, I watched a video install from a pro shop and that is how they did it (opposite of me). Also, read some installation instructions after the fact... Doh!
I dont know of any pro shops i would trust with my jeep.

I think usually people mount the flex joint at the axle end. But if you really think about it, what difference does it make?
I guess it doesn’t matter. While I was flat towing the Jeep, I noticed a lot of body lean and instability. I ended up tightening a rear sway bar end link bolt and the rocking magically disappeared. LOL. One bolt! At first, I thought the wee bit of extra flex you get from the Johnny joints might be the issue. Nope. All good. It did make me think though.