What did I do??!

Starrs

TJ Guru
B800BED3-E096-4221-BBE5-6611E44DB7FF.jpeg
85E021EB-FE83-41B6-A99E-314B93ABDA31.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and Kathy
You were walking between two JL’s and you looked up and a hot girl took a pic of you with your phone! Then you dropped something and it went under the nicer of the two JL’s, and she took another pic. She must like you or the red JL! Just sayin’

Reactions: Starrs
I live in a small town, ~10,000. Our dealership saw its first JLU last week. It’s parked out in front of the JKU’s. I have to say, they look very similar. Haven’t even seen a JL. The U versions are the moneymakers now.

Actually, I keep looking at the JK’s, and I think if I could go to work on one, I could make it look pretty good. First thing I would do, tear off those gosh awful flares! Probably MC them. Second thing, get rid of that terrible rake. It’s got to be like 3 inch rake. I look at them all the time and they look like they’re about to take a nose dive. Third, 2.5” lift and 35’s. It would only take a few things. There’s that engine though, that’s a hard one. Just swap it out for a V8.

I live in a small town, ~10,000. Our dealership saw its first JLU last week. It’s parked out in front of the JKU’s. I have to say, they look very similar. Haven’t even seen a JL. The U versions are the moneymakers now.

Actually, I keep looking at the JK’s, and I think if I could go to work on one, I could make it look pretty good. First thing I would do, tear off those gosh awful flares! Probably MC them. Second thing, get rid of that terrible rake. It’s got to be like 3 inch rake. I look at them all the time and they look like they’re about to take a nose dive. Third, 2.5” lift and 35’s. It would only take a few things. There’s that engine though, that’s a hard one. Just swap it out for a V8.
That kinda money? Look for a TJ, JK with a hemi.... It'll already have the lift and winch too.

Reactions: JMT

JL is a later release. Yea the market is driven by the 4 doors.

We had our yearly auto show in ABQ today that has all the new models. I paid my $5 to get in in the hopes that there might be a JL I could look at, but there was only a JLU Sahara & JLU Rubicon. Not interested in a U myself. The gal who worked for FCU said the JL would be released at the end of May. Right.

Anyway, what struck me about the JLUs mostly is the interior pretty much mirrors every other SUV out there with all the electronic gadgets, bells & whistles. Sure it's nice, but $51k for the Sahara, and $54k for the Rubicon.

There is one feature of the JL that hits you between the eyes, though - the underside is completely flat. Skid plates front to back.
IMG_0353[1].JPG

We had our yearly auto show in ABQ today that has all the new models. I paid my $5 to get in in the hopes that there might be a JL I could look at, but there was only a JLU Sahara & JLU Rubicon. Not interested in a U myself. The gal who worked for FCU said the JL would be released at the end of May. Right.

Anyway, what struck me about the JLUs mostly is the interior pretty much mirrors every other SUV out there with all the electronic gadgets, bells & whistles. Sure it's nice, but $51k for the Sahara, and $54k for the Rubicon.

There is one feature of the JL that hits you between the eyes, though - the underside is completely flat. Skid plates front to back.
View attachment 38741
The 2 rubis I looked at tonight were 46k and 50k

The only thing I envy about the JK and JL whatsoever is the flat bellys. The amount I'm having to spend on my TJ to make the belly as close to flat as possible is a bit ridiculous. Other than that though, you guys can have the JLs and I'll stick to my TJs.

I prefer working on my own vehicles myself. Too many sensors, bells, and whistles on those new Jeeps for me. Those are the kind of things I want on a SUV or a family car, not a recreational vehicle / toy.

The only thing I envy about the JK and JL whatsoever is the flat bellys. The amount I'm having to spend on my TJ to make the belly as close to flat as possible is a bit ridiculous. Other than that though, you guys can have the JLs and I'll stick to my TJs.

I prefer working on my own vehicles myself. Too many sensors, bells, and whistles on those new Jeeps for me. Those are the kind of things I want on a SUV or a family car, not a recreational vehicle / toy.
I’ve never worked on a jk are there more sensors or are they just different? I wouldn’t think it would be that much harder to work on a jk than a tj, but again I’m not really sure. What makes the jk or the JL so intimidating to try and work on?

I’ve never worked on a jk are there more sensors or are they just different? I wouldn’t think it would be that much harder to work on a jk than a tj, but again I’m not really sure. What makes the jk or the JL so intimidating to try and work on?
Trust me, I have both and my wife's JK, like many, have electrical STDs all over the place waiting to ruin your day and make you feel the pain. Just search for JK TIPM problems and prepare to be amazed with so much info on a plethora of differing symptoms. Another fun one is the Security Module near the steering wheel. I love the JK but we have been through some &@#* together before ending up on good terms. The TJ is cake in comparison

Trust me, I have both and my wife's JK, like many, have electrical STDs all over the place waiting to ruin your day and make you feel the pain. Just search for JK TIPM problems and prepare to be amazed with so much info on a plethora of differing symptoms. Another fun one is the Security Module near the steering wheel. I love the JK but we have been through some &@#* together before ending up on good terms. The TJ is cake in comparison
Gotcha yea I haven’t worked on either extensively so I wasn’t really sure what the fuss was all about.

Looks good Starrs. I hate the front bumper though :(
But you're history!
No more rusts worries, no more UPS box on the door, no elbow grease for a while and no more funny squeaks, rattles, and broken part upgrade projects for you.. that rig will tell you when to change oil, replace light bulb, etc. how boring is that?

Last edited:
Everybody can just hate me now...but Starrs that Rubi you are standing next to is the exact one I would order sans the upgraded wheels. Then I would get rid of the bumpers, and eventually the wheels... My TJ is not my daily. I need an SUV for family things. Right now that is a BMW X3 with the lease ending next January. If I am going to need an SUV, why not a Wrangler? Comfortable, able to get the groceries, and go just about anywhere else you might want to go, on or off road. And I think they look a helluva lot better than most other (new) SUV's out there...

I love my wife's 4Runner trail edition, but I wouldn't be upset if she wanted to get a new JLUR. I like them. I don't think it would be as practical for our family though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk