What did I do??!

Everybody can just hate me now...but Starrs that Rubi you are standing next to is the exact one I would order sans the upgraded wheels. Then I would get rid of the bumpers, and eventually the wheels... My TJ is not my daily. I need an SUV for family things. Right now that is a BMW X3 with the lease ending next January. If I am going to need an SUV, why not a Wrangler? Comfortable, able to get the groceries, and go just about anywhere else you might want to go, on or off road. And I think they look a helluva lot better than most other (new) SUV's out there...
yeah but even the JLU will not have enough room to go away for a ski weekend with 2 kids. I had a JKU and the wife had an explorer and never took the JKU on any trips, really can't fit much in it and is still very uncomfortable in the back. So we traded in the JKU on her new car, I took over the explorer............and 9 months later bought the TJ in addition.

yeah but even the JLU will not have enough room to go away for a ski weekend with 2 kids. I had a JKU and the wife had an explorer and never took the JKU on any trips, really can't fit much in it and is still very uncomfortable in the back. So we traded in the JKU on her new car, I took over the explorer............and 9 months later bought the TJ in addition.

Yep. I have ridden in the back seat of my moms JKU, I’m a fit guy, and the doors are narrow to get thru. And sitting in the back for a 30 minute drive into town was uncomfortable.

The JKU’s do look a lot better than a Ford Explorer. But for a family vehicle, I’d rather have the explorer or even a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is what my wife drives.

Do you like the Yeti products? I’ve been thinking of buying one of their rambler tumblers.
I do like them very much. We drink a shit ton of coffee so I have there stainless mugs all over my office and my house and always have 1 in the jeep. I once left Ice water in one at work all day and it still had ice in it at the end of the night.

You are still welcome into our forum Starrs :)
Now with that said, when you get bored, you will think about your old TJ... will reminds you of the fun memories, that's all.

Do you like the Yeti products? I’ve been thinking of buying one of their rambler tumblers.
Save some serious coin and get a Kodi if you can find one. Ours keep ice all day long. I got a smaller one for $7. Noticed this week they wer $14 and the large ones were $18.88

I’ve never worked on a jk are there more sensors or are they just different? I wouldn’t think it would be that much harder to work on a jk than a tj, but again I’m not really sure. What makes the jk or the JL so intimidating to try and work on?

The JKs are fantastic vehicles and do amazingly well off-road. However, they aren't the type of vehicle you'd want to own if you plan on doing a lot of your own maintenance. They have tons and tons of electrical sensors, a much more complicated CANBUS wiring system, ABS, traction control, stability control, etc. All stuff that actually makes it a lot better to drive for most people, but for the DIY mechanic, it's a nightmare to say the least.

Again, great vehicles, just not the type you want to play DIY mechanic with.

That's one of the reasons we passed on the JKU Rubicon we were going to buy. I kept telling myself it would be a great "family vehicle", but the more of them we test drove, the more I realized that it was cramped in the back seat, there wasn't really that much storage, and we couldn't even fit our double stroller in it.

IMHO, a JKU would work if you had grown kids, but if you have a young family like we do (where are kids are still in car seats), it's far from the ideal family vehicle. At that point I would just say get a TJ and buy a minivan or large SUV as the family vehicle / daily driver.

Reactions: Starrs