What did previous owner do with these holes?

TJJeep4Sale

Supporting Member
Detailed my new TJ yesterday for the first time and now that its shiny clean I can see what looks like holes plugged up and painted, looks like there was once a tire carrier and rock sliders mounted to the body, what is weird to me though is these holes under the hood? Any ideas? Any thing I should look for with these patched holes
20220306_151155.jpg
20220306_151145.jpg
20220306_151133.jpg

Mine are hidden by rocker guards now, but I don't remember there being a reason for spot welds that far down on the rocker. The tub floor and rocker meet a good inch or more above the edge, don't they?

Mine are hidden by rocker guards now, but I don't remember there being a reason for spot welds that far down on the rocker. The tub floor and rocker meet a good inch or more above the edge, don't they?
They look normal. Some get higher, some lower, some only get about half the spot weld on the floor pan flange.

Man, I'm jealous those factory spot welds are a sight to behold on a nice clean TJ.

They look normal. Some get higher, some lower, some only get about half the spot weld on the floor pan flange.

Man, I'm jealous those factory spot welds are a sight to behold on a nice clean TJ.

I looked through some photos, you are correct. The tub floor flange is closer to that edge than I pictured. I think I forgot the rocker panel doesn't hang down as far as the torque box.

Something does look amiss under the tailgate hinge though. Looks like sanding marks on the tan part and sloppy black paintbrush work.
Definitely been molested there but i personally wouldn't bother with it

Something does look amiss under the tailgate hinge though. Looks like sanding marks on the tan part and sloppy black paintbrush work.
Yup previous owner thought spray painting almost everything everywhere would be a good idea and there's overspray everywhere and now it's flaking off and looks bad.

It's really a shame because the Jeep is immaculate besides this stuff. If I end up keeping it long term or lots of prospective buyers notice/care when I go to sell, I'll probably replace the flares and clean it all up as best I can. Maybe get some black grille inserts.

As mentioned above, they are spot welds. You can’t see them on my 05. One thing I’ve noticed is how flat the doors on my 05 are compared to the newer jeeps, theirs look my side windows on the soft top, and I could use mine to shave with!

Yup previous owner thought spray painting almost everything everywhere would be a good idea and there's overspray everywhere and now it's flaking off and looks bad.
Overspray can be easily removed with fingernail polish remover (without hurting the paint) and you can use a better quality paint where it's chipping off.
p.s. OCD meds work wonders too. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TJJeep4Sale
As everyone has said, just spot welds.. I have them in the door openings even on my '20 Gladiator. Jeeps are meant to do one thing really well, and quality finish isn't that thing...

Reactions: TJJeep4Sale