What did you do to / in your garage / shop today?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Got a professional organizer (Wife) to help me move into the "new" Snap-On chest and re-arrange all my tools:

DSC01867.JPG

DSC01868.JPG

DSC01869.JPG

Maybe the damn thing will more-or-less stay organized. I'd been using the same dis-organization scheme for 6 years!

I made a little progress on my powder coating oven. I got it working (sort of) but it's not fully wired up properly yet. And of course it won't really work until I insulate it and cover the cabinet exterior with sheet metal. LOTS to do yet but things are "heating up"!

Oven - 31.JPG

Oven - 33.JPG

Last edited:
Got a professional organizer (Wife) to help me move into the "new" Snap-On chest and re-arrange all my tools:

View attachment 397757

View attachment 397758

View attachment 397759

Maybe the damn thing will more-or-less stay organized. I'd been using the same dis-organization scheme for 6 years!

Love the old Snap-on chests. (y) I bought a similar one used in 1969. I think it was made in 1965. About 40 years later I finally bought a roller cabinet for it. Hopefully I'll find the time one day to paint them to match.

Snap-on - 9 (531x800).jpg

View attachment 397757

View attachment 397758

View attachment 397759

Haven’t seen one of those in years, I had one some 40 years ago when I started wrenching. That’s a good chest but that lid can be a finger pincher.

Haven’t seen one of those in years, I had one some 40 years ago when I started wrenching. That’s a good chest but that lid can be a finger pincher.

That's true. I worked with a guy "way back" and heard him curse more than once because of that. He said he liked the "toilet seat" top I had (2 posts above). :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Squatch and NskLJ
That's true. I worked with a guy "way back" and heard him curse more than once because of that. He said he liked the "toilet seat" top I had (2 posts above). :ROFLMAO:

That’s what the lid on my current top box has, I bought that one some 38 years ago. I never open the lid all the way, the top is taller than me. I don’t keep any high use stuff up there.

Reactions: PCO6
That’s what the lid on my current top box has, I bought that one some 38 years ago. I never open the lid all the way, the top is taller than me. I don’t keep any high use stuff up there.

One of my chest / roller cabinet combos is taller than me too. There's a lot of dust up there that I never get to! :) The top level of the chest is where I store most of my cordless tools. Easy to reach up to but not good for smaller tools.

Love the old Snap-on chests. (y) I bought a similar one used in 1969. I think it was made in 1965. About 40 years later I finally bought a roller cabinet for it. Hopefully I'll find the time one day to paint them to match.
This one is from 1974. From what I read on a Snap-On collectors forum, that model apparently is still being made. Paid $125 for it locally. The seller actually had managed to sell it for $350 on eBay - I guess the buyer didn't come through, I found it on Craigslist.

I picked up a HF 5 drawer service cart with a 25% coupon a couple of week ago and still have not figured out how I want to set it up.

Todays project was trimming down an electrostatic furnace filter 1/2” in all directions so it will fit in the furnace at one of my rentals. Original filter says 16x25x5 and owners manual says the same but the true Lennox required size is 15.5x25.5x4.5. They want twice the price for their filter. I’m not set up to bend sheetmetal so it’s not pretty but it fits and works.

CF5B934D-B2B8-4716-8E1C-8D0BB8A04C3A.jpeg

B1EDABFC-0FED-476F-85E5-F358A829D78A.jpeg

0EE051CA-9195-4185-96C3-7B7AB672C335.jpeg

Thursday I had to move the Jeep out of its cozy little home so I could change and ABS sensor harness on my Silverado. This thing takes up almost all my workshop room. It’s hard to believe I’ve had this thing 24 years this year. Yesterday and today I modified the transmission bracket/exhaust hanger to work with my UCF extra clearance skid and removed the Dana 30 drivers side OEM bushing and reinstalled a Rock Jock Johnny Joint.

C6BF92FF-3859-4790-9173-85D58A1ACA76.jpeg

E278FDB0-ECAF-4FD6-B811-1505C5ACBAAB.jpeg

5772B821-A1D6-4139-9D7D-BF6676268ADF.jpeg

I laid down 22.6' of weld on 136 pieces. I cant imagine being a production welder for a living :confused:

And then cut 220 pieces that need to be cleaned, bent, welded, cleaned, and sent to powdercoat o_O

Gotta get all this out of the way so I can get back on my TJ projects.

20230205_110628.jpg

20230205_110443.jpg

Won't hold square?

Biggest problem is the cross slide half nut wears and it gets a ton of back lash. The gibs need to be adjusted too.
If I would just take the time and make new gibs and a new half nut it would eliminate most of my trouble.

Reactions: Zorba
I laid down 22.6' of weld on 136 pieces. I cant imagine being a production welder for a living :confused:

And then cut 220 pieces that need to be cleaned, bent, welded, cleaned, and sent to powdercoat o_O

Gotta get all this out of the way so I can get back on my TJ projects.

View attachment 398162

View attachment 398163

Sometimes it's nice to do a project where you just settle into a groove and go.
But I'm pretty sure my attention span would be fighting that groove all the way to the end.

Reactions: CMBD